Sponsored

JKS quick disconnects -- hard to disconnect or bad install?

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I recently had the JKS quick disconnects (2032) installed but these things aren't working as advertised. Looking for other folks that have installed these to help me figure out whether they really are that hard to disconnect or I just had a crappy job done at the shop.

The driver side one was incredibly hard to disconnect -- took a rubber mallet and plenty of WD-40 to push it out -- and the passenger side was just impossible -- had to loosen the D bolt to disconnect it.

I grabbed a couple videos trying to disconnect it and then trying to reconnect it (after I loosened the bolt enough to be able to disconnect it). On the second video it's pretty obvious this thing needs a good extra inch of travel to clear the short disconnect post at the bottom -- but that travel just isn't available because the washer (D bolt, top, highlighted in the photo) won't allow it. Looking at the washer in the photo in this other post, it seems like mine is too large?

passenger side bolt washer preventing horizontal rotation.jpg

Shop says this is "normal" (& wanna charge me to look at it). Any help would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have them, no issues here. Make sure they are the same length and that you are on pretty much level ground. Otherwise they are a real biotch. Sometimes i have to put my back under the fender and rock it up and down as i pull it. Its meant to be tight so you dont get slop when you are driving with them installed.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I recently had the JKS quick disconnects (2032) installed but these things aren't working as advertised. Looking for other folks that have installed these to help me figure out whether they really are that hard to disconnect or I just had a crappy job done at the shop.

The driver side one was incredibly hard to disconnect -- took a rubber mallet and plenty of WD-40 to push it out -- and the passenger side was just impossible -- had to loosen the D bolt to disconnect it.

I grabbed a couple videos trying to disconnect it and then trying to reconnect it (after I loosened the bolt enough to be able to disconnect it). On the second video it's pretty obvious this thing needs a good extra inch of travel to clear the short disconnect post at the bottom -- but that travel just isn't available because the washer (D bolt, top, highlighted in the photo) won't allow it. Looking at the washer in the photo in this other post, it seems like mine is too large?

Shop says this is "normal" (& wanna charge me to look at it). Any help would be highly appreciated!
Oh and that washer looks a little big. Mine are just big enough to cover the edge of the round bushing

image.jpg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's are very easy to remove/re-install. The last time we went wheeling my wife removed them by herself while I was airing down the tires.
I need to look at her passenger side when I get home, but I recall the tip of the pin being shorter/flatter on that side(At the axle)

20180908_133215_resized.jpg

20180908_135552_resized.jpg

I recall the pin on the right side of this picture went on the passenger side at the axle.
J17979_alt4.jpg

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Being that you have the links for stock to 1-1/2" lift, they are pretty short so you are fighting with quite an angle against the rod ends. The links in the other poster's pictures are for a higher lift so the links are much longer and don't have to swing at as high an angle to install. Maybe a set of links with heim joints would swing easier and be easier to install? Or maybe a smaller washer on top so the joint on top doesn't hit?

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's are very easy to remove/re-install. The last time we went wheeling my wife removed them by herself while I was airing down the tires.
I need to look at her passenger side when I get home, but I recall the tip of the pin being shorter/flatter on that side(At the axle)

20180908_133215_resized.jpg

20180908_135552_resized.jpg

I recall the pin on the right side of this picture went on the passenger side at the axle.
J17979_alt4.jpg

I forgot the dealer has my wife's Jeep :facepalm:

Thinking about it more the picture I posted on the "studs" above are from a JK.

OP
OP
kurt rustle

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Being that you have the links for stock to 1-1/2" lift, they are pretty short so you are fighting with quite an angle against the rod ends. The links in the other poster's pictures are for a higher lift so the links are much longer and don't have to swing at as high an angle to install. Maybe a set of links with heim joints would swing easier and be easier to install? Or maybe a smaller washer on top so the joint on top doesn't hit?
It was actually both things! I had a back and forth with JKS and they confirmed the washers definitely didn't look right (i.e. the kit I bought had the wrong washers). After swapping with smaller washers, it was still pretty damn hard to (dis)connect so I ended up extending the links a bit and at least now I got them to a working state.

I'm gonna do a 2" lift soon which will require extending the links even further so I'm guessing it'll get easier to operate these.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
I know I'm late to the party. These are tough to disconnect in the following circumstances ...

1. Too large of washers preventing full outward swing (unusual, but the main issue with your set.)

2. Being on unlevel ground (something to consider every time you use them.)

3. Not sufficiently lubricating them with an EP grease through the zerk. (my mistake when I initially installed them. They work SO much better now that I properly greased mine.) Grease should push all the way through the body & ooze out of the bushings. Wipe off the excess, and you're good to go. If you have a shop do your install, make sure they've generously greased them.
Sponsored