PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
PaulNy, I love the red trim since I may do the same since I'm ordering the red color on the jeep.
Are you using the trim ring or do you have true beadlock rings?
Thanks so much. I have the true beadlock rings as I knew I may want to air down at times. The dealer had to purchase them separately and ship them off to powder coat. I think you will love them if you choose to go that route.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
PaulNy, correct me if wrong, looking at the pics it looks like the bolts are rounded, not hex.
I thought the true rings use hex bolts. Maybe I just can't see.LOL

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PaulNy, correct me if wrong, looking at the pics it looks like the bolts are rounded, not hex.
I thought the true rings use hex bolts. Maybe I just can't see.LOL
Not sure to be honest lol. I have never looked closely or even paid attention after the install. And, I am unsure of which ring uses which bolt. I will have to look later.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
The "trim" rings come with the wheels and use the button head bolts as shown in the op's pictures. The outside tire bead is set against the built-in inner bead of the wheel. As such, the tires are mounted "conventionally", and then the trim rings are bolted into place. The trim rings do not touch the tire but do a good job of disguising this wheel as a true beadlocker.

An alternate way of mounting the tire is to push the tire's inner-bead down over the rim but LEAVE the outer bead out over the edge of the wheel. Then you take the optional beadlock rings and you bolt the ring in place - pinching the outer tire bead between the wheel and the beadlock ring. In this scenario, the beadlock rings are secured using the supplied black hex-head bolts with each bolt having a captive washer.

Sponsored

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
If this is true, the OP has trim rings, not true beadlock rings as he believe he has.

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If this is true, the OP has trim rings, not true beadlock rings as he believe he has.
I thought they were beadlock rings. There again, I am not that well rehearsed in beadlocks and actually these are my first set of wheels with that feature. All I know is that my dealer said they were beadlocks, and asked if I wanted the locking ring powder coated, and I said yes :like: I assume they were the "true" beadlock, but then again if they are not, I still love the way they look and am happy with them :rock:. I didn't know until reading this thread that there was another beadlock ring option for my wheels. Can someone post a link to where that ring is listed? I do not see it in the Mopar accessory catalogue, so I am curious what other ring you all are referring to.

Edit: Ok, after reasearching, it does appear mine are the simulated bead lock rings. This is good to know, and how naive have I been lol. So, the true bead lock rings are available online for around $96. I will pick up a set, and run those when I go muddin' and keep the red simulated rings on for pavement, and very mild excursions. This way, I have the best of both worlds. Thanks @islandtees for the heads up and the education. I love this forum and learn something new everyday.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
When I get mine I will do the same as you have. I will have the trim ring powdercoated. The nice part about the wheel is you can always go true beadlock by purchasing the beadlock ring. I thought I saw it in the acc book for about $130.00 a ring. Not cheap. Either ring looks great on you're jeep.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I new nothing about these until I researched on this forum. Give madpax all the credit as he schooled me on these. Together we all learn and make the best choice for our application. I too will have both rings so I also can go either way. You're jeep gave me the inspiration in choosing these for my jeep.

SoCalRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just get the true beadlocks, I've been running them for 22K miles now with no problems at all.

Sponsored

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I thought they were beadlock rings. There again, I am not that well rehearsed in beadlocks and actually these are my first set of wheels with that feature. All I know is that my dealer said they were beadlocks, and asked if I wanted the locking ring powder coated, and I said yes :like: I assume they were the "true" beadlock, but then again if they are not, I still love the way they look and am happy with them :rock:. I didn't know until reading this thread that there was another beadlock ring option for my wheels. Can someone post a link to where that ring is listed? I do not see it in the Mopar accessory catalogue, so I am curious what other ring you all are referring to.

Edit: Ok, after reasearching, it does appear mine are the simulated bead lock rings. This is good to know, and how naive have I been lol. So, the true bead lock rings are available online for around $96. I will pick up a set, and run those when I go muddin' and keep the red simulated rings on for pavement, and very mild excursions. This way, I have the best of both worlds. Thanks @islandtees for the heads up and the education. I love this forum and learn something new everyday.

Paul, you can’t just switch the beadlock rings without remounting the tire. Right now your tires are mounted on the inner rim. If you go beadlock the tire bead will be outside of the rim and then clamped to the rim with the real beadlock rim. The bead on the tire will be in 2 different places for the 2 different types of beadlock rims - fake and real.

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paul, you can’t just switch the beadlock rings without remounting the tire. Right now your tires are mounted on the inner rim. If you go beadlock the tire bead will be outside of the rim and then clamped to the rim with the real beadlock rim. The bead on the tire will be in 2 different places for the 2 different types of beadlock rims - fake and real.
Awesome information and this is why I love this forum :handsinair:. Thanks Kurt for the heads up, and that makes sense. Glad you told me that so I don't look stupid just trying to simply bolt on the new ring :headbang:

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome information and this is why I love this forum :handsinair:. Thanks Kurt for the heads up, and that makes sense. Glad you told me that so I don't look stupid just trying to simply bolt on the new ring :headbang:
This is a great video on how you install a beadlock.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
And here's a picture of the Mopar beadlock wheel. You have a choice to mount the tire conventionally against the upper lip that you see - which of course would require a tire machine. Alternatively, you can place the bead on top of that conventional lip and clamp it in place with the beadlock ring.

IMG_5693.jpg

Finally, here's the tire positioned correctly (takes a little bit of effort) and ready for the beadlock ring to be installed.

IMG_5694.jpg
Sponsored