EV / PHEV JL Wrangler Rubicon will go 0-60 in 6 seconds says Jeep President

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Good point, and agree about the niche that the Wrangler currently owns.

I think the new Bronco and to a certain extent, Rivian is taking a few pages out the Wranglers play book, things like offroadability, wash out interior etc.. But alas, competition makes the breed better!

Lastly, maybe we do need solid axles, just with a DC motor at each end:like: Keep that JK(U) articulation!

-Steven

Completely concur.. but how about portal axle design incorporated as well.. in the old days twin I-beam via Ford was an interesting design for "straight axles".. think of four electric motors, portal axle (Uni-mog), with the twin I-beam..

sorry just dreaming about what could be possible...

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I own a Tesla Model3 AWD...and absolutely love it - smooth and incredibly quick. I also own a Jeep JK that I will soon trade for a JL Recon that has been on order for several months. An electric JL would be incredible though it’s brick like aerodynamics are a huge barrier to being battery only. I’m not sure how the wrangler could have sufficient range unless it towed an extra battery pack. Even my Tesla losses 25% range on the highway driving against a 25mph wind. Can’t really compare a Tesla to a hybrid.
I follow Tesla and in combination with SpaceX they are changing how things are done and of course Elon Musk is the driving force. He reminds me of Howard Hughes and Steve Jobs in what his companies can get done.

I have a Cybertruck on order and think it is so innovative. I agree with the aerodynamics and think we would need to see at least a 50% increase in energy density to make it practical in a Jeep, but we will see what Battery day holds and if the dry electrode technology from the Maxwell acquisition increases it. I am still so happy I chose the Jeep and I will see if I actually complete the Cybertruck purchase, especially with all that is going on.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
I would like a PHEV personally. I can commute to work (when that happens again) and only use battery. But still have the gas engine for longer journeys. I know it's a stopgap until the Jeep crowd really warms up to full EV. I like the idea of an EV but I'm just not there yet. And they probably won't make a 2 door electric anything so I'm out. Saving for a hemi swap.

Last edited:

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
I wanted a manual and that would be awesome to use with an electric conversion, but I don't know the torque limits of the transmission. The conversion may involve modified axles that include a motor on each. In that case the engine and transmission would become unneeded. The engine compartment could be split for dual purposes, with a battery down low and storage up high.
I looked up the torque rating of the 6MT on Aisin's site a couple weeks ago, 272 lb/ft. Just covers the V6's 260 lb/ft.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I looked up the torque rating of the 6MT on Aisin's site a couple weeks ago, 272 lb/ft. Just covers the V6's 260 lb/ft.
No wonder the Gladiator with the stick is so limited with the tow rating. :computerrage:

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I know EVs tend to get a lot of hate from folks who frequent these forums, but I am a huge fan for EVs.
Electric motors are better in almost every way.
Having said that, I think batteries are a shit solution. At least in their current form. They are very dirty to produce. Even Jesus Musk uses child labor to dig up lithium.
Not to mention, what do you do with all the dead batteries in 15 years.
The argument about power plants being dirty is bullshit though. It's simple economy of scale. Cheaper to make a few plants cleaner than 100 bagillion cars.

Fuel cells are less efficient than lithium batteries and certainly hydro.carbons as well. But if they actually rolled out technology to produce them in a carbon neutral way, who gives a shit if it's less efficient?
The massively more simply drive train would be amazing for off-roading. Not to mention you don't need to wait 1 hour to charge up.
BTW, they have proved that rapid charge drastically shortens the life of your battery.
The higher the current, the more dendrites form. The more they form, the sooner than anode touches the cathode. Then..... uncontrollable fire.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Completely concur.. but how about portal axle design incorporated as well.. in the old days twin I-beam via Ford was an interesting design for "straight axles".. think of four electric motors, portal axle (Uni-mog), with the twin I-beam..

sorry just dreaming about what could be possible...
Portal axles with inboard motors, that would also give some gear reduction for the motors. I would imagine you would need some kind of reduction to get enough torque to the wheel. Talking off road low range crawling here.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I own a Tesla Model3 AWD...and absolutely love it - smooth and incredibly quick. I also own a Jeep JK that I will soon trade for a JL Recon that has been on order for several months. An electric JL would be incredible though it’s brick like aerodynamics are a huge barrier to being battery only. I’m not sure how the wrangler could have sufficient range unless it towed an extra battery pack. Even my Tesla losses 25% range on the highway driving against a 25mph wind. Can’t really compare a Tesla to a hybrid.
And there is your problem, you need a tow rig to get your stock Wrangler to the trailer and back home...

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just look at the RC world. "High-performance" and "long run time" simply don't go together. You have to carry around extra batteries or else you simply can't build something tough enough to survive the extra weight bigger batteries would require.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Just look at the RC world. "High-performance" and "long run time" simply don't go together. You have to carry around extra batteries or else you simply can't build something tough enough to survive the extra weight bigger batteries would require.
I'd be willing to bet more people would opt for the PHEV rather than a Full electric Wrangler, for this very reason.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Diesel - electric Jeep...
Except... Diesel is already 400 lbs heavier than regular v6. Add in electric drivetrain... Yeah, your trying to rock climb hauling around Superdutyish weight. Asking a lot of your tires
Sponsored