Sponsored

KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here!

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have some questions... I was originally looking to do baja designs on my light upgrades. However, I really like the look of the pro6 on the A-pillars. That has me down a rabbit hole because I like everything to match. So first, I watched the video but didn't see a comparison of the before and after on the fog lights. As far as the volume of light, do you think they put off more? or just change to amber? I know that is probably hard to gauge since the color change but just curious your impressions. Second, I think you did the 40 degree wide beams on the A-pillar. How do you feel about that? I was going to do a driving or spot pattern. I thought the 40 degree would reflect too much off the hood. Thanks!

TrailRecon did a really nice video of the stock vs. KC fog lights (and headlights). It is very impressive. Here is the link starting at his comparison:

Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Love the classic Day Lighter Smiley Face!
So do I, it’s the main reason I bought them. I’ll be adding some more KCs once I get a winch and as back up lights.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Scott, good to hear the video helped out. Here is my opinion of the 3 lights.

I would clear away from the Rigid. They aren't bad, just the quality of the light isn't the same quality as KC and Baja. They don't tend to last as long. I'm not sure what kind of warranty Ridid or Baja have, but KC offers a 23 year warranty. Their stuff is made to last, very solid. Now a big difference between the KC G4 Fogs and the Baja Fogs, is that KC uses their gravity LED technology. It reflects the LED back towards the reflectors where it captures and controls all of the light. When an LED is shot straight out, a lot of the light is lost and isn't controlled as well. Because of the Gravity LEDs, they have a smooth lens, so it doesn't restrict the light. Baja and Rigid both shoot the LED straight out and use the lens to make the beam pattern instead of the reflectors making the pattern. Instead of having a smooth lens for their fogs, they have patterns and lines in the lens. This doesn't control or capture the light as well. I'll link a video below from KC where they explain all of the components of off-road lights.

Now a side note, KC is the original off road lighting company. Been around since 1970. They not only make great quality products with newer technology deigns, they have amazing customer service. Then to top it all off, what really sets them apart in my opinion, is how involved they are with the community. They aren't just selling lights, they are part of the community. Example, the CEO is out in National Parts with his kids picking up trash and doing trail clean ups. Giving up his weekend to clean up our public lands from time to time. Not just him, but many of the KC people, they are all part of the community. They give back.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
I have experience with Rigid and BD. I agree with Kevin with Rigid. Don't get me wrong, it's still a quality light source. KC makes some pretty awesome stuff and I am glad they have stepped up their game in the recent years to compete with the other two. Granted, we wont use these lights enough to go through the advertised "life cycle in hours" but this is what I found comparing the two brands exclusively. BD on the wearable components you can self service. Part's are not that pricey. I have noticed their lenses can take a ton of abuse. Rigid, you have to send it back in for service. I already have a chip and small spider in mine that I have decided to live with it and keep in mind that I hardly drive mine except for outings. It's 11 months old. with 6800 miles on the ODO. Lights have been on since Aug. It's more irritating and not worth sending it back, I would rather be able to replace or change the lens to my needs at home i.e. zoning like Kevin mentioned up top.

Color well that is personal preference. Rigid is more a really bright white. BD is a softer white. I would say it's like comparing a 4800-5000k temp color to a 6k temp color with Rigid. I have noticed with extended use the brighter white of the Rigid gives me more eye fatigue/irritation. I just prefer a white but more in natural tone.

I wish I had experience with KC, but I have been using BD for the past 7+ years on my offroad builds and haven't had a failure, issue, or cracked lens. So I'm a sticker. (Only reason I strayed to try Rigid is because I found out after the fact the bumper cut out was made specific to their light bar. After my experience thus far, I would have done it differently). I think you couldn't go wrong with either KC or BD. KC has been around the block for a long time, and they wouldn't be around today if it was garbage. They're also priced competitively well. They all offer very different designs with great out put and cut off. The key to remember is setting up your zones. You will happy regardless.

Great job on content Kevin! Keep 'em coming!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I love my KC’s. They are old school 100w halogen versions given to me buy a friend that had them on the shelf for years. He gave me 4 and all work beautifully , so I have 2 spares too. I keep them aimed at each side of the road 50 yards or so ahead. luckily, on back country roads during dawn and dusk periods, they're are all I need to help spot those pesky deer.They have been on for 6/8 months and almost as many thousands of miles. If I see some of those old school yellow smiley face covers at a swap meet, I’ll add them for better lens protection. I don’t do much evening driving so solid covers wouldn’t be an issue. KC's have been around a long time and I'm happy to run them.
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! JL front view

Last edited:

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Love the classic Day Lighter Smiley Face!
Also not sure if you work with KC or anything, but for anyone considering Daylighters, the KC JL a pillar brackets need to be drilled out slightly to accept the Daylighter mounting bolt as the hole on the brackets is not large enough to fit the bolt through.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
TrailRecon did a really nice video of the stock vs. KC fog lights (and headlights). It is very impressive. Here is the link starting at his comparison:

Thanks for sharing. Brad did a great job with that comparison. Huge improvement over the stock halogen.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I love my KC’s. They are old school 100w halogens versions given to me buy a friend that had them on the shelf for years. He gave me 4 and all work beautifully , so I have 2 spares too. I try(haha) to keep then aimed at each side of the road 50 yards or so ahead. luckily, on back country roads during dawn and dusk periods, they're are all I need to help spot those pesky deer.They have been on for 6/8 months and almost as many miles. If I see some of those old school yellow smiley face covers at a swap meet, I’ll add them for better protection. I don’t do much evening driving so solid covers wouldn’t be an issue.
JL front view.jpg
Looking good. Gotta watch out for those deer!

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Also not sure if you work with KC or anything, but for anyone considering Daylighters, the KC JL a pillar brackets need to be drilled out slightly to accept the Daylighter mounting bolt as the hole on the brackets is not large enough to fit the bolt through.
I don't work for KC, but I am associated with them. I am lucky enough to be near their Gardena office in CA where they host the monthly "Rigged For Dirt" meet ups. I've been a long time customer of KC. My '66 CJ-5 had their Day Lighter lights with the yellow smiley face. I been using them since. They still use the large bolts on the day lighters. Their lights were originally built from air craft equipment and retrofitted them to work on off-road vehicles. So the day lighter design uses heavy bolts. The new JL A-pillar bracket was designed to be used with their newer lights.

Great info for everything though. If someone does want to use the day lighters, they will need to drill it out a bit larger for the bigger bolt.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Did some family isolation/social distancing in Sedona on one of the permit required trails - no one else out there!

SP1.jpg
Sp2.jpg
I love Sedona. Such a beautiful place. It has a cool little town also.

Sponsored

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If someone does want to use the day lighters, they will need to drill it out a bit larger for the bigger bolt.
Speaking of bigger bolts, the new fog lights arrived and the included bolts for the lights are too darn big for the included brackets. I will call tomorrow however the two options at this point are that they will need to be drilled out to fit or I think the smarter move is to buy smaller bolts so I keep the rust protection of the powder coating.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Jeep-Rubicon/i-QwTMP7V/0/5138873f/1920/IMG_3716-1920.mp4

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of bigger bolts, the new fog lights arrived and the included bolts for the lights are too darn big for the included brackets. I will call tomorrow however the two options at this point are that they will need to be drilled out to fit or I think the smarter move is to buy smaller bolts so I keep the rust protection of the powder coating.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Jeep-Rubicon/i-QwTMP7V/0/5138873f/1920/IMG_3716-1920.mp4
Where are you installing this? How did it turn out?

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)