Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Journal Date: 03/31/20

Upgraded the stock antenna base to a new Elite Antenna Base by Rugged Ridge.

Rubicon - 1063 - 03-31-20 - forum.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Warlocke

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Journal Date: 04/05/20

Replaced the 3rd brake light with a new version by Oracle Lighting.

The new version includes a "pigtail" style connector, which should make accessing the spare tire a little easier.

Rubicon - 1064 - 04-05-20 - forum.jpg

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Journal Date: 03/15/20

Upgraded the stock Rubicon rock rails to new Magnum RT Drop Steps by Raptor Series.

Installed a new Tazer JL Mini by Z Automotive to reprogram some of the default vehicle settings.

Rubicon - 1033 - 03-15-20 - forum.jpg

Rubicon - 1034 - 03-16-20 - forum.jpg
How do you like those side steps?
Did they bolt right up in place of the factory rock rails or did you have to get the drill bits out?

OP
OP
Warlocke

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like those side steps?
Did they bolt right up in place of the factory rock rails or did you have to get the drill bits out?
I love the steps. I think they look great and they're rock solid.

I've got an issue with some minor rust starting to form around the screws that mount the tread plates to the step bodies.

I'm pretty sure that the screws are stainless steel (not the culprit).

It must be the powder-coat (or paint) finish getting compromised when the screws are fully tightened against the plates.

I'm not really happy that it's already happening, after being installed for only a month.

But, honestly, I haven't really seen any aftermarket side steps that don't eventually start to rust.

I e-mailed the manufacturer yesterday, asking if they sell the tread plates separately.

I was planning on purchasing a set (if available) to have on hand as replacements, if the rust starts to get bad.

Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
I love the steps. I think they look great and they're rock solid.

I've got an issue with some minor rust starting to form around the screws that mount the tread plates to the step bodies.

I'm pretty sure that the screws are stainless steel (not the culprit).

It must be the powder-coat (or paint) finish getting compromised when the screws are fully tightened against the plates.

I'm not really happy that it's already happening, after being installed for only a month.

But, honestly, I haven't really seen any aftermarket side steps that don't eventually start to rust.

I e-mailed the manufacturer yesterday, asking if they sell the tread plates separately.

I was planning on purchasing a set (if available) to have on hand as replacements, if the rust starts to get bad.
I had the Magnum Drop Steps on my Tacoma, they rusted real bad after just 3 months, do yourself a favor and get them LineX'd or Rhino lIned if you plan on keeping them.

OP
OP
Warlocke

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Magnum Drop Steps on my Tacoma, they rusted real bad after just 3 months, do yourself a favor and get them LineX'd or Rhino lIned if you plan on keeping them.
Thanks for the tip.

Did you get yours coated, or did you replace them?

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Thanks for the tip.

Did you get yours coated, or did you replace them?
Neither, they sent me kydex pieces to cover the front ends of the rails, claiming that rock and road debris was damaging the finish. They didn't acknowledge the step plates rusting and I didn't push the issue. Looking back, I should followed up on the rust issue, but in the back of my mind, I knew I was trading in the truck for a Jeep. The Jeep dealer commented on how rusty the steps were and asked if they were aftermarket and should he remove them. They were an eyesore on an otherwise immaculate looking trade-in.

There is something to be said for factory steps and running boards, the fit and finish quality is generally better overall. I got the Jeep a month ago, the following week, I basically lost my job due to Covid-19. I wanted the Mopar Performance Rails because I learned my lesson with the Tacoma, but because of job uncertainty I couldn't afford the $800 price versus $249 for the RC drop steps, I hope history doesn't repeat itself. :)

OP
OP
Warlocke

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Neither, they sent me kydex pieces to cover the front ends of the rails, claiming that rock and road debris was damaging the finish. They didn't acknowledge the step plates rusting and I didn't push the issue. Looking back, I should followed up on the rust issue, but in the back of my mind, I knew I was trading in the truck for a Jeep. The Jeep dealer commented on how rusty the steps were and asked if they were aftermarket and should he remove them. They were an eyesore on an otherwise immaculate looking trade-in.

There is something to be said for factory steps and running boards, the fit and finish quality is generally better overall. I got the Jeep a month ago, the following week, I basically lost my job due to Covid-19. I wanted the Mopar Performance Rails because I learned my lesson with the Tacoma, but because of job uncertainty I couldn't afford the $800 price versus $249 for the RC drop steps, I hope history doesn't repeat itself. :)
That's funny (not really), I picked mine up a month ago and got laid off two weeks later.

Luckily, I researched and purchased all of the aftermarket components beforehand.

I was planning on selling the rock rails, that I removed, in the marketplace.

But, now, I feel like I should hang on to them, depending on what the outcome is with the manufacturer of the steps.

OP
OP
Warlocke

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Journal Date: 04/19/20

Installed a set of new Tactical Style Front Seat Covers and a set of new Paracord Headrest Grab Handles by Bartact.

Rubicon - 1069 - 04-19-20 - forum.jpg

Rubicon - 1070 - 04-19-20 - forum.jpg

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
How sturdy are the back of those seat covers? Looking for something waterproof but don’t want to lose the functionality of the back of the Rubi seats.

OP
OP
Warlocke

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The MOLLE is sturdy, like the original.

But, I don't believe that the seat covers are waterproof.

OP
OP
Warlocke

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Journal Date: 05/20/20

Installed the Front Passenger Firewall/Footwell Mount for my new Jack Base by American Expedition Vehicles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mean Machine - 2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon Build Rubicon - 1075 - 05-20-20.JPG
Sponsored