Sponsored

Just Need 1/4" tire clearance ... thoughts?

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running stock upgraded Rubi rims with 35" Nitto RG's. I installed the Mopar reinforcement yesterday and was hoping to stick with the stock Rubi carrier. Unfortunately, the tire rubs on the stock steel bumper. Still opens and closes, but rubs. On one hand it's prob good from a stability standpoint, but the rubbing on open / close bothers me. I don't see an adjustment of any kind, has anyone found one? I bet I need 1/4" to clear and hate to have to go with an aftermarket carrier for that small amount. I've even thought about adjusting the bumper down 1/4"? Is that possible? Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you’ve got an onboard air source, air down the spare.

Touching the bumper is good as far as stability as long as it’s not so much as to put anything in a bind. I have an adjustable carrier and I have it touching the bumper slightly on purpose.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I would air down like CT said above, if you have air to air it up that is.

Otherwise you could use a relocation bracket for like $75 and it will raise it a couple inches. I use one and it works great. Although you may be above the recommended weight limit so a reinforcement kit may be the more appropriate solution.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm running stock upgraded Rubi rims with 35" Nitto RG's. I installed the Mopar reinforcement yesterday and was hoping to stick with the stock Rubi carrier. Unfortunately, the tire rubs on the stock steel bumper. Still opens and closes, but rubs. On one hand it's prob good from a stability standpoint, but the rubbing on open / close bothers me. I don't see an adjustment of any kind, has anyone found one? I bet I need 1/4" to clear and hate to have to go with an aftermarket carrier for that small amount. I've even thought about adjusting the bumper down 1/4"? Is that possible? Any thoughts?
I was thinking about this again. If you loosen everything there might be enough slop between tire carrier to tailgate bolts, wheel to tire carrier, and bumper brackets.

Also, this may work without the tailgate reinforcement: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/oversize-spare-tire-carrier-jeep-wrangler-jl
Sponsored