Sponsored

Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Run fuse 57 setup as is except bypass headlights altogether, just that 57 wire to both fender lights (white wire w/ brown stripe, this is the wire you cut and replace w/ new 57 wire). This will keep the DRL function lit when the ignition is on and you can still use your auto light function on the dial.

I have factory OEM LED headlights on my 2018 Sport S that were installed at the dealership. I was told by the technician he connected the HALOS (which work as DRLs also) directly to the BCM module and not the fuse box so I should have fuse 57 available as I do not have heated seats.

I have ordered the Oracle 7443-CK and want to run them (the white part) as DRLs too. So if I understand correctly I would just need to use the fuse 57 set up by cutting the white/brown and white orange wire on the respective turn signal and splicing in the fuse 57 setup wire that leads into the turn signal lamp correct? The wire that I cut which leads back into the cabin I would just tape up to protect it.

And this would not cause any problems? Thanks in advance for your reply.

wiring.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If your Halos currently work as DRLs and turn off when your headlights come on you might tap into your halo hot wire. If your halos stay on while your headlights are on the fuse 57 will function almost the same. Not sure what wire is the hot for the halos but check this section
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/HEADLAMPS-SYSTEM.pdf
The HALOS are on all the time - even if lights are in off position, and the HALOS remain on when lights are in on/auto position.

So I should use the fuse 57 route meaning the fender lights will function as DRL and remain on like the HALOS independent of headlights being on/auto position? Does my diagram look correct for the wiring?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The HALOS are on all the time - even if lights are in off position, and the HALOS remain on when lights are in on/auto position.

So I should use the fuse 57 route meaning the fender lights will function as DRL and remain on like the HALOS independent of headlights being on/auto position? Does my diagram look correct for the wiring?
Yes, and yes it looks to be the correct way to run to #57. Mine stay on all the time including w/ the Auto light function as well :)

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
So I got a pair of switchback canbus bulbs and mine only work for one thing depending how you plug them in (if I take the bulb out and flip it over). I didn’t wire anything to them I just wanted the white lights on with parking lights (can I not do that?).

1. White light with parking lights on but no turn signals
2. No lights on when parking lights are on but turn signals work

any ideas? Or should I not buy eBay bulbs? I’m assuming these are not CK specific bulbs and I should have paid the extra $20 to buy the oracles?

Sponsored

NickM

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL SPort S
So I got a pair of switchback canbus bulbs and mine only work for one thing depending how you plug them in (if I take the bulb out and flip it over). I didn’t wire anything to them I just wanted the white lights on with parking lights (can I not do that?).

1. White light with parking lights on but no turn signals
2. No lights on when parking lights are on but turn signals work

any ideas? Or should I not buy eBay bulbs? I’m assuming these are not CK specific bulbs and I should have paid the extra $20 to buy the oracles?

If you read all 9 pages you would already have your answer. To use the switchbacks in white you need to run a separate power source to the lamp from #57 fuse. Standard Sport models do not accommodate white park lights. The problem is not eBay bulbs but the specific way the wrangler is wired for white/amber park/turn. When driving around the only Wranglers I see with white DRL are Rubicons. When you have your headlights on the white LEDs will be lit and switch to amber when you use your turns. If I have the turn signal on for several minutes the display warns me of a turn signal light out. That returns to normal in a few minutes.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you read all 9 pages you would already have your answer. To use the switchbacks in white you need to run a separate power source to the lamp from #57 fuse. Standard Sport models do not accommodate white park lights. The problem is not eBay bulbs but the specific way the wrangler is wired for white/amber park/turn. When driving around the only Wranglers I see with white DRL are Rubicons. When you have your headlights on the white LEDs will be lit and switch to amber when you use your turns. If I have the turn signal on for several minutes the display warns me of a turn signal light out. That returns to normal in a few minutes.
I have mine wired as per fuse #57, this allows me to put my headlight control to the Auto function, this gives me full daytime white DRLs. Never have to touch my headlight switch so it's nice for someone old & forgetful like me :)

@Spdu4ia I had some ebay 7443 switchbacks prior to getting the Oracles, and since these weren't the 7443-CK polarity I got a similar output that you're getting. It's been awhile so I can't recall exactly how they worked, but it seemed like they were doing a similar output like yours.
Here's a post that shows a cheaper version that you might consider~
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2020-jl-sport-drl-conversion.48648/#post-1072741
Also huge Avs fan too, sucks that they were 1pt out of first and would have seemingly half the team coming back rested from injury just in time for a strong playoff run :(
Oh well, that team has a huge future ahead of them :)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Nicely done on the write up. I didn’t realize this when I ordered the lights but it makes sense that the white part of the Oracles wouldn’t stay lit unless the headlights are on. My lights arrive in a few days and am excited to get them installed.

I do have a question, any idea how one would do it without the fuse adapter? How would one tap into a wire that would be hot while the jeep is running without that cool adapter? I only ask as I hear amazon isn’t shipping things out as fast if they aren’t supplies for this whole Covid thing.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nicely done on the write up. I didn’t realize this when I ordered the lights but it makes sense that the white part of the Oracles wouldn’t stay lit unless the headlights are on. My lights arrive in a few days and am excited to get them installed.

I do have a question, any idea how one would do it without the fuse adapter? How would one tap into a wire that would be hot while the jeep is running without that cool adapter? I only ask as I hear amazon isn’t shipping things out as fast if they aren’t supplies for this whole Covid thing.
Might be able to find a fuse tap at a larger NAPA store, but Amazon is still delivering pretty much as they were. I've ordered a few non essential items like some hood struts and a mini trampoline and they arrived in a week or so. And if you don't have Amazon prime you might ask a few of your friends, chances are one of them has it, and only takes 2-3 days for it to arrive.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Might be able to find a fuse tap at a larger NAPA store, but Amazon is still delivering pretty much as they were. I've ordered a few non essential items like some hood struts and a mini trampoline and they arrived in a week or so. And if you don't have Amazon prime you might ask a few of your friends, chances are one of them has it, and only takes 2-3 days for it to arrive.
Yeah, been looking around. I do have prime and looks like it’s the best route with tapping into the fuse box. I’m sure there’s a place around here that has it if not, I’ll order from amazon.
Thanks again for the help!

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if it’s possible to wire the turn signals to the dimmer switch to the left of the steering wheel? It doesn’t do anything on the Sport and so I’m thinking of wiring my DRLs into that. That way if I want, I can turn them off or on and leave it that way.

Where would the wiring for that switch be?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Disregard. I went ahead and ordered the tap fuse thing. I’m going to go ahead and install it that way. Seems to be the easiest route.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disregard. I went ahead and ordered the tap fuse thing. I’m going to go ahead and install it that way. Seems to be the easiest route.

You could wire as per fuse #57 and add one of these switches at a later date, I still might do that since I have some new light coming that have a brighter DRL that I may not want on when the headlights are on.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B86Z94
There's plenty of room on one of those plastic panels under the steering wheel to mount it out of harms way but still easy to access.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got some new lights a couple days ago, previous lights had multiple LED lenses so the cutoff wasn't defined and not very good output, and the split halo DRLs weren't very noticeable in the daylight.
These new ones have a very defined cutoff w/ better output and as you can see no problem seeing the DRLs now, lol.

Saw these for $60 on ebay and thought what the hell.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-60W-LED-...-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-TJ-LJ-Off-road/264579771722
And a slightly different version is also available
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-7-Inch...for-Jeep-97-17-Wrangler-JK-LJ-TJ/264673498850
If you don't already have a 7" adapter this is the one I have, although they should be much cheaper from other sources
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS7769Q
Cheaper one here
https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Omni-directional-Adjustment-Replacement-Headlights/dp/B07V7T1Q9T

And these don't come w/ anti-flicker CANBUS adapter, not sure if you need one as I just left my wiring intact (which already had the CANBUS adapter that came w/ previous lights plugged in).

So far so good, only problem was I had to modify my previous 7" to 9" adapter since the tabs on the new lights were exactly 180 degrees off from my previous LED set (maybe that's why they were 60 bucks :) ). Had to drill 3 new holes in the adapter and secure w/ nyloc nuts. Seem to actually have better vertical adjustment now, and no more space between the back of the grill to the edge of headlight :)

lights2.jpg
lights3.jpg
lights4.jpg
lights5.jpg
lights7.jpg
lights6.jpg

Last edited:

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just wired up my DRLs finally. I ended up wiring them to one of my aux switches. I also ordered a fuse tap thing and will reserve that if I end up needing that switch later. Otherwise I like this method as it saves the last state and so therefore will act like a DRL but I have the option of turning them off too.
Sponsored