MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I just came across this thread. We purchased a 2018 JLUR in January and was needing to put a winch on it. A friend of mine had been doing a lot of research on winches and came to the conclusion of purchasing the new Apex winch from HF. I did some searches of my own and felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger and mount up the Apex on the front of our JLUR. I used the Warn winch plate to mount the winch with the stock steel bumper.

As discussed here there are a few differences compared to the Warn winch but these two winches are essentially the same winch! Two things that are different are: 1) The free spool lever needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The Warn one only needs to go 90 degrees. This 180 degree swivel causes the lever to interfere with the stock steel bumper. Now, if you're running an aftermarket bumper then most likely this is a non issue. 2) The main power wire comes out the back of the control box which does rub on the Jeep plastic grill. If you relocate the control box then problem solved which some do.

I purchased this winch because we were mounting snow tracks to the Jeep and planned a trip up to a snowmobile paradise. Of course, getting stuck was going to be part of the fun! And it did get stuck and it was fun to get it out! Winching a Jeep is not super hard, but add 200lbs of tracks to each wheel hub and the added weight and drag of winching through snow and you have a situation to challenge your winch. Well, before we ever got stuck we decided to cut down some dead trees and drag them back to camp. However, they were inside a grouping of trees where the Jeep could not get to. No problem! Engage the new winch! And Wow did it do well! We pulled out two trees together on one trip, through 4' of deep snow and around another tree. Then another time, late in the evening after dark I took a few friends out for a trail ride through trees. We were about 4 miles from camp I'm hauling ass down the trail and around a left curve. The front right track caught the edge of trail and pulled us into a deep area of fresh snow. Oh shit, we stuck and bad!! No problem! Pulled out the winch line and stretched it out in front and across the trail. Up and out it came and back onto the trail! Another time I got it stuck on a hill above the parking lot where everyone was camped. The next morning we pulled out the line and attached it to a truck down below in the lot. Down she came without an issue!

We put this winch to Work on this trip and Wow did it perform well! If anyone is hesitating putting the Apex on their rig all I can say is Do It! I got it on sale for $629 then minus the fames HF 20% off coupon so it's final cost was $504 plus tax. The comparable winch from Warn is (Depending where you get it) $1791-$1900. I'm sorry but that is Way overpriced! Smittybuilt winches are priced well too and they perform as well. In my research on this winch I came across a few comments by guys saying that HF has been making winches longer than Warn has been. If you look at the Warn and the Apex they look almost identical! I'm guessing either the Apex is made by Warn or both brands are made by the same factory in China.

As for the two issues on mounting the Apex with the factory steel bumper, there are solutions. I listed one earlier on relocating the control box. Now, while some like that I personally do not. I like the look of the control box on the winch plus is protects the line from the sun. Yes, I can run a cover and i most likely will do that in the future. I like the look with the Badland name on the box. As for the lever, take an angle grinder and grind off the bottom part of the lever. It only slightly interferes with the bumper so just taking a small amount off the bottom of the lever is all that is needed. The lever is quite large so it's not an issue. And again, if you're running an aftermarket bumper then this is a non issue.

I absolutely love this winch; the looks, the fit inside the stock steel bumper, the wireless remote, synthetic line, 12,000 lb rating, it all makes for one hell of a winch for $500! Oh, and it's not just waterproof and dust proof but it's also waterproof up to 1450 psi. I noticed that additional rating on the Apex but not on the Warn..... I am planning on putting this winch to work throughout the rest of this Winter with the snow tracks on as well as into the Summer. If I start to have any issues I'll post up here and update on my issues!
Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I just came across this thread. We purchased a 2018 JLUR in January and was needing to put a winch on it. A friend of mine had been doing a lot of research on winches and came to the conclusion of purchasing the new Apex winch from HF. I did some searches of my own and felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger and mount up the Apex on the front of our JLUR. I used the Warn winch plate to mount the winch with the stock steel bumper.

As discussed here there are a few differences compared to the Warn winch but these two winches are essentially the same winch! Two things that are different are: 1) The free spool lever needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The Warn one only needs to go 90 degrees. This 180 degree swivel causes the lever to interfere with the stock steel bumper. Now, if you're running an aftermarket bumper then most likely this is a non issue. 2) The main power wire comes out the back of the control box which does rub on the Jeep plastic grill. If you relocate the control box then problem solved which some do.

I purchased this winch because we were mounting snow tracks to the Jeep and planned a trip up to a snowmobile paradise. Of course, getting stuck was going to be part of the fun! And it did get stuck and it was fun to get it out! Winching a Jeep is not super hard, but add 200lbs of tracks to each wheel hub and the added weight and drag of winching through snow and you have a situation to challenge your winch. Well, before we ever got stuck we decided to cut down some dead trees and drag them back to camp. However, they were inside a grouping of trees where the Jeep could not get to. No problem! Engage the new winch! And Wow did it do well! We pulled out two trees together on one trip, through 4' of deep snow and around another tree. Then another time, late in the evening after dark I took a few friends out for a trail ride through trees. We were about 4 miles from camp I'm hauling ass down the trail and around a left curve. The front right track caught the edge of trail and pulled us into a deep area of fresh snow. Oh shit, we stuck and bad!! No problem! Pulled out the winch line and stretched it out in front and across the trail. Up and out it came and back onto the trail! Another time I got it stuck on a hill above the parking lot where everyone was camped. The next morning we pulled out the line and attached it to a truck down below in the lot. Down she came without an issue!

We put this winch to Work on this trip and Wow did it perform well! If anyone is hesitating putting the Apex on their rig all I can say is Do It! I got it on sale for $629 then minus the fames HF 20% off coupon so it's final cost was $504 plus tax. The comparable winch from Warn is (Depending where you get it) $1791-$1900. I'm sorry but that is Way overpriced! Smittybuilt winches are priced well too and they perform as well. In my research on this winch I came across a few comments by guys saying that HF has been making winches longer than Warn has been. If you look at the Warn and the Apex they look almost identical! I'm guessing either the Apex is made by Warn or both brands are made by the same factory in China.

As for the two issues on mounting the Apex with the factory steel bumper, there are solutions. I listed one earlier on relocating the control box. Now, while some like that I personally do not. I like the look of the control box on the winch plus is protects the line from the sun. Yes, I can run a cover and i most likely will do that in the future. I like the look with the Badland name on the box. As for the lever, take an angle grinder and grind off the bottom part of the lever. It only slightly interferes with the bumper so just taking a small amount off the bottom of the lever is all that is needed. The lever is quite large so it's not an issue. And again, if you're running an aftermarket bumper then this is a non issue.

I absolutely love this winch; the looks, the fit inside the stock steel bumper, the wireless remote, synthetic line, 12,000 lb rating, it all makes for one hell of a winch for $500! Oh, and it's not just waterproof and dust proof but it's also waterproof up to 1450 psi. I noticed that additional rating on the Apex but not on the Warn..... I am planning on putting this winch to work throughout the rest of this Winter with the snow tracks on as well as into the Summer. If I start to have any issues I'll post up here and update on my issues!
Nice write up! Glad you are happy with the Apex!

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Buy the Winch most people on here or brand specific if you want Harbor Freight just spend another $6 dollars on the warranty. Never know if it's any good unless you buy it.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
The HF Apex is on sale this weekend for $499.

Screenshot_2020-03-21-11-38-49.png

Sponsored

jasonlauren

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Acura RDX Technology Package, 2008 Scion xB Release Series
Couldn’t pass up that deal...

E3B1F581-FD14-4941-BD77-1B33071745A7.jpeg

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
okay, so everyone bought a harbor freight winch...

now, how about some more reviews of them for us newbies who are either getting ready to, or, in the middle of modding our jeeps?

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I was really tempted to get one at that price, but I'm trying to buy a bumper this month before a rebate expires. I hope Harbor Freight brings back that deal again. Even better, if they release a 8,000 or 10,000 lb version. 12,0000 lb is way more than i need for a 2 Door Jeep.

jasonlauren

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Acura RDX Technology Package, 2008 Scion xB Release Series

now, how about some more reviews of them for us newbies who are either getting ready to, or, in the middle of modding our jeeps?
I'm going to be mounting this onto the factory mopar steel bumper. I'm in middle of deciding on which winch plate to buy. Once I commit to one, I'll post my reviews and impressions of the winch.

As for the plate, it looks like the warn winch plate is pretty standard. However, I am reading that there may be minor clearance issues with the free spool lever as it comes into contact with the mopar steel bumper when turned outward.

The JCR winch plate apparently includes shim plates that elevate the winch a tad, fixing that clearance issue with the fee spool lever. I was going to buy JCR's plate. However, I saw a few forum members complain about the JCR winch plate bending or contouring after use; not sure if JCR addressed this.

I know that Maximus-3 and Rugged Ridge also have winch plates. I haven't seen any discussion about them in conjunction with the Badland Apex.

Would love to know others' experiences with installing this winch and their winch plate particularly with the factor steel bumper....

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
Looking around at different plates and I personally like the look of the construction of Rusty's Off Road's offering. It looks stout and easier to install than some of the other options out there. I also understand it doesn't push the bumper forward like a lot of them do.

As for reviews on the winch, look at HF's website. They have a lot of reviews and it sounds like a winner.

EDIT: Still looking and the Maximus 3 winch plate looks like another good one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering this deal myself. I just worry about how long it will hold up. Seems to be a really solid unit. All the video reviews and unboxings I have watched everyone raves about how well it is made.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door

I put the apex on my Tacoma used it 4 times so far. So far so good no complaints at all.

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I'm going to be mounting this onto the factory mopar steel bumper. I'm in middle of deciding on which winch plate to buy. Once I commit to one, I'll post my reviews and impressions of the winch.

As for the plate, it looks like the warn winch plate is pretty standard. However, I am reading that there may be minor clearance issues with the free spool lever as it comes into contact with the mopar steel bumper when turned outward.

The JCR winch plate apparently includes shim plates that elevate the winch a tad, fixing that clearance issue with the fee spool lever. I was going to buy JCR's plate. However, I saw a few forum members complain about the JCR winch plate bending or contouring after use; not sure if JCR addressed this.

I know that Maximus-3 and Rugged Ridge also have winch plates. I haven't seen any discussion about them in conjunction with the Badland Apex.

Would love to know others' experiences with installing this winch and their winch plate particularly with the factor steel bumper....
Does anyone have any suggestion on what mounting plate to use with the HF Apex Winch?

jasonlauren

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have any suggestion on what mounting plate to use with the HF Apex Winch?
I went with the Warn Winch Plate. Overall, the quality seems pretty good as the plate itself is pretty thick at 1/4" steel and heavy/sturdy. As previously noted, I had some clearance issues with the free spool lever. But I remedied this by using a pair of Poison Spyder Warn Zeon Spacers.

I used carriage bolts and acorn style nuts from Lowes to mount the hawse fairlead from inside-out through bumper and the winch plate. There was no way of me installing the hawse fairlead from outside-in with the factory hardware with the Warn winch plate.

Also, you may have some fitment issues with the factory skid because the plate pushes the whole bumper forward by 1/4". I'm sure you will run into this issue to some extent with any other winch plate.

Good luck!

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I went with the Warn Winch Plate. Overall, the quality seems pretty good as the plate itself is pretty thick at 1/4" steel and heavy/sturdy. As previously noted, I had some clearance issues with the free spool lever. But I remedied this by using a pair of Poison Spyder Warn Zeon Spacers.

I used carriage bolts and acorn style nuts from Lowes to mount the hawse fairlead from inside-out through bumper and the winch plate. There was no way of me installing the hawse fairlead from outside-in with the factory hardware with the Warn winch plate.

Also, you may have some fitment issues with the factory skid because the plate pushes the whole bumper forward by 1/4". I'm sure you will run into this issue to some extent with any other winch plate.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and advice. Folks like you are what makes these forums so great. I'll let you all know how things go.
--T
Sponsored