Sponsored

How is everyone storing/organizing recovery gear?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I just use a large backpack.

Sponsored

77RRAD

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
XG Cargo Gamma bags.....
I also added 2 more smaller 5.11 bags to the molle on the outside of the gamma bags for lighter items like.... Soft shackles, TP, gloves and lens covers in clear and amber.
When you are in the driver seat you CANNOT see the bags at all in the mirror or even if you turn your head around to look back.
Jeep Wrangler JL How is everyone storing/organizing recovery gear? 7lH7RFf

Jeep Wrangler JL How is everyone storing/organizing recovery gear? pM872zQ

Jeep Wrangler JL How is everyone storing/organizing recovery gear? k35Ulot

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
While looking at the links provided, I see Dominion Off ROAD has a rear cubby enlargement kit for the JK. This would translate great to the JL, especially since a Muffler Delete pipe is available for the JL. I emailed them about doing this for the JL, if others do likewise, maybe they'll do it...it would double the rear storage capacity.

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
XG Cargo Gamma bags.....
I also added 2 more smaller 5.11 bags to the molle on the outside of the gamma bags for lighter items like.... Soft shackles, TP, gloves and lens covers in clear and amber.
When you are in the driver seat you CANNOT see the bags at all in the mirror or even if you turn your head around to look back.

I got those too. No issues with loading them full of some heavy stuff?

Sponsored

77RRAD

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got those too. No issues with loading them full of some heavy stuff?
I have had 0 issues with all this in both bags for over a year now.
The snatch block from TRE is under 2 lbs. and the pulley from factor 55 is even lighter.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I use the black & yellow 5-gallon & 10-gallon sized totes available at Amazon.

They stack one upon the other, they are rugged enough for hauling and are easy to store elsewhere when not in use.

Amazon Storage Totes

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Just curious how everyone stores or organizes their gear. Trying to keep everything together and easily accessible. But also organized so I can find what I want, when I want. Also, I like to be able to pull out when I don't need and throw in the jeep when I do need.

Right now...

- I have some in the "trunk" space. My tow strap strap, a flashlight, and some gloves and a small poncho
- I have a small bag with my winch controller, gloves, 2 tow straps, 2 hard shackles, my hitch recovery point and a hitch pin
- I have a large hard tote that holds my portable air compressor, tire repair kit, rapid deflator, foldable sholvel, duct tape, small tie downs, zip ties, plastic bags, 3# hammer, mechanics tools (wrenches, sockets, screw drivers)

I still need to add a couple things but I don't want to add more totes and already feel stuff is everywhere.
I found I like to keep the basic recovery kit separate from my repairs kit and air-down air-up kit and compressor. I find want to carry the basic recovery kit around all the time (even for daily driving) not just on trail trips, so I wanted the basic recovery kit to be small and light and in one bag. In my TJ for 20+years I had my recovery stuff stored in a few corners and it was always getting moved around and in the way, not good. I have the medium sized ARB orange bag for my basic recovery kit and I only keep one of those orange ARB bags in the Jeep so that in a recovery situation I always know which bag to grab. Mine has the basics: gloves, 2 (or 3?) soft shackles, 2 hard shackles, ARB yank strap, ARB tree saver, ARB rope damper, a combination shackle, and a Factor55 pulley ring because my ARB steel pulley block is big and heavy and doesn't fit. I keep the winch controller up front with flashlights. Good idea about a poncho. I'm based in Utah but even here when trouble happens it's just as likely to happen in a downpour. A folding shovel seems essential to me for a basic kit but doesn't fit in the bag so it's in the Jeep somewhere. For some trips I might add other recovery stuff, like a static strap for towing, or a second pulley block so I can do a sideways self-rescue. Stuff you'd carry if room and weight are not an issue. For some desert trips with open sand stretches I put the sand anchor in there. Mine is the Smittybuilt that folds and is pretty light and compact for what it is but you'd still never carry it around unless you really thought there'd be a need for it.

Then there is the repairs stuff and tools, and it seems like there is a huge range of what people carry. I take along a tire repair plug kit since I'm taking a compressor. And I keep some basic tools I find useful but in a small kit about the size of a folded treesaver so it's not a lot. I remember folks on the trail in TJs who had welders on board and spare axle halves so there's a range.
Sponsored