blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Saw this article:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32766...e-world-has-more-americans-considering-a-jeep

Study Suggests State of the World Has More Americans Considering a Jeep

March 26, 2020

Two weeks have now passed since much of the United States' population went into self-quarantine and the world hasn't quite turned into a Mad Max: Fury Road apocalyptic wasteland. But while the viral outbreak's impact could see a whopping 30-percent contraction of new car sales by year's end, new research suggests that people are still apparently looking at new cars, more specifically, they're looking at Jeeps.

The poll, completed by YouGov BrandIndex, asked potential customers "When you are in the market next to purchase a car or truck, from which of the following would you consider purchasing?" and offered a list of manufacturers to choose from. The responses showed that customers considering a Jeep vehicle rose 2.6-percent in the last 30 days, which amounts to 16-percent of the population considering a Jeep product.

As the infection spreads and Americans continue to hoard toilet paper, flour, beans and rice, and guns, with many believing this is the intro to a real-life The Walking Dead, it's not exactly rocket science to connect people's interest in Jeep's rugged lineup and our current reality. Between the new Wrangler, the Grand Cherokee, and even the diminutive but still capable Renegade, Jeeps are pretty factory-ready for the end of the world.

The Drive's own Jeep coverage illustrates that further, with Editor-in-Chief Kyle Cheromcha's review of the new Jeep Gladiator, saying "it's hands down the off-road king of pickups," to our first dalliance with the all-new Wrangler in which writer Eric Adams declares, "That's the beauty of the Jeep Wrangler--it's not like other cars. Sure, its creators spent time homing in on ideal button placement and speccing out interior materials to generate specific kinds of visual and tactile qualities, but the Wrangler caters to a different kind of buyer overall, and the brand's devotion to usability and utility feels as much like they're fulfilling a military contract as providing for consumer needs."

YouGov posits a similar theory, stating, "It may be too early to tell, but the brand has long positioned itself as a rugged go-anywhere machine, which may be appealing to consumers in uncertain times. Jeep could benefit further as gas prices are expected to slide further as we enter a recession, making SUVs and larger vehicles attractive to the consumer."

While our own thoughts may have drifted toward ready-for-anything rigs in recent weeks, YouGov's poll only tallied 426 responses, which is low when looking to trend anything in the United States. To get true metrics, most statisticians look for sample sizes of 1,000, which means YouGov's 426 is hardly enough to categorically state Americans are looking at Jeep a lot more since the coronavirus outbreak began.

Additionally, Jeep sales have been on fire for the last half-decade, with both Jeep and Ram propping up a flailing Fiat Chrysler. As such, interest in Jeep products has seen steady growth throughout the years and YouGov's data collection could be related to that trend, not one spurred on by the outbreak.

YouGov's research also doesn't talk about how the new car market has contracted heavily in recent weeks as companies layoff, furlough, or send employees home to save money and reduce the spread of the outbreak. So while interest in such vehicles may be up, Jeep interest may also be very theoretical, wishful thinking when there is still so much uncertainty, especially when you consider TrueCar's analysts predicting a whopping 30-percent decline in new car sales by the end of the year.

But what do you all think, is Jeep your go-to brand for when the end comes? Are you still looking for a new car or SUV? Is there a better answer than just any Jeep? Let us know in the comments below.
Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just as a concept, and not by any means a threat but why buy a jeep for the apocalypse when I can take yours or someone else's? right now the best of people are standing up and putting their best foot forward but when the crap hits the fan, these very same people will eventually turn into monsters just the same. there is one type of Hording that is quite different then other types and that is Ammo. if I horde Food, that is for my consumption but if I horde Ammo, That is not only for me but it is bought to deliberately deny others the opportunity to horde it. The Ammo I allow someone else to buy may be used against me in the apocalypse, That's just a way of looking at it and I really don't need any more ammo.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just as a concept, and not by any means a threat but why buy a jeep for the apocalypse when I can take yours or someone else's? right now the best of people are standing up and putting their best foot forward but when the crap hits the fan, these very same people will eventually turn into monsters just the same. there is one type of Hording that is quite different then other types and that is Ammo. if I horde Food, that is for my consumption but if I horde Ammo, That is not only for me but it is bought to deliberately deny others the opportunity to horde it. The Ammo I allow someone else to buy may be used against me in the apocalypse, That's just a way of looking at it and I really don't need any more ammo.
I get your point, only someone would have to find mine- if it is a Wrangler it is possible it has taken me to a place so remote that one couldn't. Also one would be assuming at minimum that the benefit of taking mine my force is worth the risk, which he or she would have calculated using only assumptions- that my tactical and marksmanship skills are inferior, that I have less ammo, and that if it came to it I am smaller, weaker, and a less skilled fighter. Considering what I know about myself, which most others do not, the law of averages says those would all be incorrect assumptions...

But I think the vehicle's ability to get you to a remote place where you can just live isolated in nature- hunt, fish, live off the land away from zombies is what is most appealing about the Jeep.

Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I think the answer is more Zombie Response Unit decals. That's how folks will know you're a badass.
You're only a true badass if you pair it with Angry Eyes...then the Zombies know, YOU MEAN BUSINESS!

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're only a true badass if you pair it with Angry Eyes...then the Zombies know, YOU MEAN BUSINESS!
and add as much chrome as possible to hopefully blind them with the reflection of the sun!

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It struck me that if I were in the boonies of the southwest, mostly only well equipped, armed and people willing to use their weapons (for good or bad) would be out there. There may even be some form of roaming "bandits" or even groups of bandits that are stealing from others to survive. Jeeps (and other capable off-road vehicles) aren't just for good people.

At my home, I have many useful things I couldn't take with me if I went mobil in a little Jeep. I have shelter from the elements and I have cover. I also have the friendship of armed neighbors to collaborate with in defense and day in and day out support. I'm thinking it would take a hell of a lot to drive me from my home. But I'm not saying never. Lack of food and water would be up there. In a vehicle, what are you going to do for fuel, food and water in the long run? Driving to "the boonies" and running out of any of those is a possible fatal mistake or it may lead you to become one of the bad guys that does bad things to others in order to survive after miscalculating your boonie trip. No thanks. I'm staying home as long as possible. I can hold off at least a few hundred zombies from here.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Like your 'short' guns purpose being to get you to your 'long' guns, a Jeep would be to get you to your 'undisclosed remote mountain fortress' to ride out the carnage. If you are stuck in a city, maybe the ground clearance + a good bumper would help you mow through some zombies...

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Bought mine two weeks before the world started ending, laid off, *still* buying a set of gladiator rubi takeoff mt's *just in case* I decide to go way north (Ontario) lol

EDIT: Was buying a Jeep regardless, I missed my JK, this makes it Jeep #4. But I definitely took advantage of slumping sales to get the most I could out of my trade on a left over 19 lol
Sponsored