Sponsored

Diesel delete

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
In the Ford Dkesels, there is a butterfly valve that opens and closes. A tuner can keep these closed, and reprogram the engine for the egr delete. A friend of mine did this, as well as yanking the factory exhaust. He ended up pulling the egr piping and plugging up the ports. He was happier doing this. I wouldnt be surprised to find most newer diesels designed similar. As I said, long long ago, when they announced the Diesel Jeep, not a good thing, until people work out the egr delete kits. Until then, there will be constant problems. The only people that seem to have fewer issues are those who drive them like they stole them, or do constant heavy pulling.
Sponsored

Bornabe

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Turbo EcoDiesel (Hellayella)
Vehicle Showcase
Driving it like I stole it is definitely in my plans, haha. I'm mostly highway and have some great get-up-to-speed spots I plan on utilizing as well as a regular cleaning I'll perform myself. It's not too complicated to take things apart to clean. Once a delete is made available I'll be after that too.

In the Ford Dkesels, there is a butterfly valve that opens and closes. A tuner can keep these closed, and reprogram the engine for the egr delete. A friend of mine did this, as well as yanking the factory exhaust. He ended up pulling the egr piping and plugging up the ports. He was happier doing this. I wouldnt be surprised to find most newer diesels designed similar. As I said, long long ago, when they announced the Diesel Jeep, not a good thing, until people work out the egr delete kits. Until then, there will be constant problems. The only people that seem to have fewer issues are those who drive them like they stole them, or do constant heavy pulling.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I think the delete days are coming to and end. Many shops want nothing to do with it anymore. Its not like it was before, now its kind of taboo.
This is coming from a guy who has a deleted cummins tow rig/DD.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Wow if anyone was hesitant about any emission issues or buying a diesel do not go and read the truck forum. It almost sounds like the only way to keep these things together is with a tune and partial or full delete.
A deleted truck will run significantly better and more reliable than an emissions equipped truck from my personal experience with Duramaxs and my friends running their Cummins and PS deleted. Most of the deleted problems start occurring with sloppy and big tunes.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
I think the delete days are coming to and end. Many shops want nothing to do with it anymore. Its not like it was before, now its kind of taboo.
This is coming from a guy who has a deleted cummins tow rig/DD.
you may be right, but I hope like hell you’re not

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've never owned a diesel so this may be a very naive question: If one deletes all of the emissions gear, does the engine then emit that thick black smoke? Or...are the impacts more subtle?

Here in AZ, they emissions test every two years, after the vehicle is five years old. I used to ride a carbureted H-D. I'd bring a screwdriver with me, adjust the carb (and make my bike run like shit), then it would then pass, and I'd "retune" it after the test. Problem with the JL Diesel is it's more than a few turns of a screwdriver to reinstate and then reremove the equipment.

As a previous poster mentioned, more states will adopt emissions laws as time goes by.
Check, as some states do not emissions test diesels as they don't have the expertise. Maryland for example does not emissions test diesel (no inspection needed).

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
No Diesel Emissions Tests, in Texas. My 2006 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins doesnt have all this emissions crap, but they also don't test for anything. If it starts, stops, and the brake lights work, it passes. $7 for the inspection, and I am out.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
No Diesel Emissions Tests, in Texas. My 2006 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins doesnt have all this emissions crap, but they also don't test for anything. If it starts, stops, and the brake lights work, it passes. $7 for the inspection, and I am out.
You sure about that? They tried to tag me for no DPF last year. I let the guy know 07 was the last year of emissions free crap. So he decided to give me crap about my limo tint.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
My state does not test, but I fear it may be coming. My truck is due to be replaced, and part of me wants a new truck the other part will really miss my deleted truck...because I wont delete another one. The end is near IMO.
That’s a 14 year old truck. Can’t even compare a 5.9 to what we are discussing here. I do miss my 06 tho, that was the one that got away

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Very curious of this myself. The ridiculous emissions standards that we currently have should be criminal, not deleting them to get a more efficient reliable engine.
Efficiency is one thing and pollution is quite another. I am NOT a tree hugger, but I can easily say the fumes spewed by nearly 100% of deleted diesels are the reasons the post-2007 emissions came to be in the first place. I have owned 3 diesels in my life--1 pre-2007 and 2 post-2007, I will not own another. Modern diesels are not made for stop and go driving, they are made for 100% open road operation.

The EGR/DEF/DPF/SCR systems are problematic on every brand of diesel out there and thus the reason that "deletes" came to be, but then there is also the Bosch HPFP/ULSD debacle and those are also used on nearly every model out there. The EPA has seriously cracked down on delete/tuner shops, shuttering many of them, so new "tunes" by any reputable company will likely not happen (not that any of them are optimal). Cost of operation of modern diesels is not cheap and that is once you get past the initial price tag. Repairs are another story--get some water in the fuel and your eyes will roll back in your head at the cost of repairing the fuel system.

In my estimation, diesels will go extinct for light trucks and passenger cars much sooner than later.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a couple of emails out to tuners in Canada who have tunes for the ram ecodiesel. I let them know that there is alot of interest in this product for the wrangler 3.0. I will let everyone know if I hear anything back.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a couple of emails out to tuners in Canada who have tunes for the ram ecodiesel. I let them know that there is alot of interest in this product for the wrangler 3.0. I will let everyone know if I hear anything back.
Ironically, just after I posted, HD Diesel supply got back to me saying:

We just got a RAM but the tuning will be similar. It normally takes us 8-12 months to develop tuning on an application. We don’t just throw a tune together; we develop a product with the same approach as the OEM’s which include development trips to extreme environmental conditions.
check back soon!

Seems to me that a tune is in the works for the Wrangler 3.0, which is great news

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread should be deleted, need a more 'stealthy' approach to this topic. Not sure how.
Big brother is always watching.
I dont disagree with regards to the big brother comment, but it is legal for offroad purposes, so they wouldnt be able to restrict a canadian based company from producing a product for legal purposes in the US. It would have to be on the local level, which means they would have to rely on emissions testing and/or enforcement on an individual basis to prove that you're using for something other than offroad use.
Sponsored