Sponsored

2.0 Auto JLU Sport Highway Driving with 35s

ChelseaK28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUS
I have searched hundreds of posts and have seen next to nothing about how the JLUS runs on the highway with 35s and the 2.0 8-speed. I’m wanting the 315/70r17 BFGs with aftermarket rims but this will be a DD with speeds closer to 80mph most of the time.

For those who haven’t re-geared, does the Jeep lag a lot when accelerating? Does it maintain it’s speed when it gets to 75-85mph or do you feel it struggling?

Please only post if you have an Auto Sport or Sahara.

If you have a 6-speed or Rubicon - PLEASE no comments as I know the gearing is different and there are thousands of posts for you.

I previously had a 2 door JKS with 35s and had to re-gear.
Sponsored

pnwstngry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited sport s
I have searched hundreds of posts and have seen next to nothing about how the JLUS runs on the highway with 35s and the 2.0 8-speed. I’m wanting the 315/70r17 BFGs with aftermarket rims but this will be a DD with speeds closer to 80mph most of the time.

For those who haven’t re-geared, does the Jeep lag a lot when accelerating? Does it maintain it’s speed when it gets to 75-85mph or do you feel it struggling?

If you have a 6-speed or Rubicon - PLEASE no comments as I know the gearing is different and there are thousands of posts for you.

I’m running 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my JLUS with the 2.0 8 speed and it’s really not too bad. Lost a little bit of power but still plenty there and no issues passing etc... It does wander a bit more on the highway but it’s nothing crazy. I take weekly trips from PDX to Seattle so lots of 70-80 mph. Biggest thing you’ll notice is the decline in mpg and no more 8th gear above 65-70. I went from (stock tires)22-24mpg @70-80mph to 16-17mpg @70-80. Keeping speeds under 65mph it hovers around 19-20mpg. Definitely feel it at the pump but totally worth it!
Not sure about added noise level from other tires but the nittos are extremely quiet.. almost no difference from stock.

Anyway, hope this helps!

283C4A90-CF19-4759-AFF0-48677F76684D.jpeg

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Hello. Here is some back ground....
Ordered ‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic: 7/27/2019
Arrived at dealer: 9/4
I took delivery: 9/5
Added 2” Mopar lift, 20” wheels with 35” tires: 9/10. 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME (35X12.50RTLT). Speedo was adjusted when the lift, wheels and tires where changed.

This is my daily driver. I have around 11k miles on it now. My typical daily drive is around 20 miles one way to work. Have a combo of back roads and highway.

I have also had several multi hour interstate/freeway trips. From southern Indiana, I have been to Southern Michigan, southern and central Illinois, southern and central Ohio, Eastern Tennessee, through Kentucky several times and into Ontario, Canada. She does pretty well maintaining speed at interstate speeds with or without cruise control. I do feel that I have to work at it a bit more than my previous vehicle (TOYOTA Highlander) to maintain the speed when not in cruise, but it is not bad.

It’s an absolute joy to drive!!!! Rides great!!!! Total average mpg as of now is around 20.5.

I hope this helps.
0AFDD5B9-AEC3-4877-98F4-A3D87972C93B.jpeg

Clipper216

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

My case may be a bit different as I have a 19’ JLUR. I am running Toyo RTs 17x35 with 2” Mopar lift. I daily commute round trip 70 miles. I use 8th gear running 65-78 or so, over that I am in the pedal a bit and in 7th. I get 17.6 to 18.1 mpg based on the Info screen

OP
OP

ChelseaK28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUS
I’m running 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my JLUS with the 2.0 8 speed and it’s really not too bad. Lost a little bit of power but still plenty there and no issues passing etc... It does wander a bit more on the highway but it’s nothing crazy. I take weekly trips from PDX to Seattle so lots of 70-80 mph. Biggest thing you’ll notice is the decline in mpg and no more 8th gear above 65-70. I went from (stock tires)22-24mpg @70-80mph to 16-17mpg @70-80. Keeping speeds under 65mph it hovers around 19-20mpg. Definitely feel it at the pump but totally worth it!
Not sure about added noise level from other tires but the nittos are extremely quiet.. almost no difference from stock.

Anyway, hope this helps!

283C4A90-CF19-4759-AFF0-48677F76684D.jpeg

Thank you! That’s the info I needed. Did you calibrate it for the bigger tires?

Did you also lift it or just change the fender flares?

I also have the gray and yours is the best looking one I’ve seen!

Sponsored

OP
OP

ChelseaK28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUS
Hello. Here is some back ground....
Ordered ‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic: 7/27/2019
Arrived at dealer: 9/4
I took delivery: 9/5
Added 2” Mopar lift, 20” wheels with 35” tires: 9/10. 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME (35X12.50RTLT). Speedo was adjusted when the lift, wheels and tires where changed.

This is my daily driver. I have around 11k miles on it now. My typical daily drive is around 20 miles one way to work. Have a combo of back roads and highway.

I have also had several multi hour interstate/freeway trips. From southern Indiana, I have been to Southern Michigan, southern and central Illinois, southern and central Ohio, Eastern Tennessee, through Kentucky several times and into Ontario, Canada. She does pretty well maintaining speed at interstate speeds with or without cruise control. I do feel that I have to work at it a bit more than my previous vehicle (TOYOTA Highlander) to maintain the speed when not in cruise, but it is not bad.

It’s an absolute joy to drive!!!! Rides great!!!! Total average mpg as of now is around 20.5.

I hope this helps.
0AFDD5B9-AEC3-4877-98F4-A3D87972C93B.jpeg

Yes! Thank you for the background/info. It is a huge help! Love the blue btw.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Yes! Thank you for the background/info. It is a huge help! Love the blue btw.
Me too and I have seen very few blues in my area that are modified. Most of them are stock.

pnwstngry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited sport s
Thank you! That’s the info I needed. Did you calibrate it for the bigger tires?

Did you also lift it or just change the fender flares?

I also have the gray and yours is the best looking one I’ve seen!
Thank you!!

I did take it to the dealership for the tire size recalibration and they charged me $135. A little pricey just to change the tire size but I didn’t want to risk voiding my warranty by using an aftermarket programmer (which will void the warranty according to my local dealership).

And no lift, just running the bushwacker flat fenders. Here’s a pic before I put the fenders on to give you an idea what kind of space you get with the stock setup.

6D47424C-75A4-4374-A9CC-A5CCEDB63D08.jpeg
Sponsored