New EVO 3032 JL / JLU Hinge Tire Carrier install Review with Pics

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Meant to say rim. It sticks out too much and there’s not much room to add anything above the camera. They replied to my email but mentioned they’ve never heard of the camera problem. Fml
Your wheels look to have a huge negative offset which is why it sticks out so much. I’m running the Mopar bead locks with a pretty conservative +12 offset and I still had issues trying to get the wheel to mount parallel to the tailgate. It could be as simple as a sensor in the camera noticing how far back it is and thinks there’s something wrong. If it’s telling you it’s out position that’s probably the issue. The camera probably doesn’t know where it is. First thing I would do is take the wheel off and see if your camera works without the spare and you’ll know if that’s the issue.
Sponsored

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Finished installing my Evo tire carrier today. It took a lot longer than expected and I still have one kink to work out. Props to the OP on relocating the 3rd light bracket so that it's not on the camera tube. I also cut the stock tube cover off with a recipricating saw and put it back where it belongs. EVO should put these in the instructions.

20191215_163334.jpg

SDhobbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have this EVO tire carrier and I'm looking for a way to relocate my license plate to the spare tire. I bought the Rough Country license plate relocation bracket but it doesn't fit with the EVO 3rd light bracket. Is there a product that combines 3rd brake light, license plate light, and camera?

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Motobuilt has one. It’s not cheap.

W4YLON

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2dr 2018
Installed mine this weekend. Had to make adjustments but overall, it ended up fitting well and feels really sturdy. However, the camera is not working. I get a message saying “camera system unavailable” and then it turns blue. I tried unplugging the camera (pink section) and clicked back on and I also did a hard restart by disconnecting the battery but nothing. Any clue what might have happened? My next try is to see behind the tailgate and see if anything else snapped off. Hopefully I didn’t pinch a wire.

A64A86BE-AE72-4709-85FA-0462F7A23002.jpeg

E2DEC663-D2BA-4AB4-A69D-7E3BD3771031.jpeg
Hello, curious were you able to find out what the issue was? I’m running into the exact same issue with the “camera system unavailable” message after SB pivot tailgate tire carrier install. Thanks

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, curious were you able to find out what the issue was? I’m running into the exact same issue with the “camera system unavailable” message after SB pivot tailgate tire carrier install. Thanks
Looks like I did end up pinching a wire. I had to get the wiring harness replaced and also got a new camera. It took a while, but was able to get the dealership to fix it under warranty.

W4YLON

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2dr 2018
Looks like I did end up pinching a wire. I had to get the wiring harness replaced and also got a new camera. It took a while, but was able to get the dealership to fix it under warranty.
Got it thanks, that’s probably the route I’ll have to go. I can’t for the life of me figure out if it was the camera or the wire harness with the brake and camera wires or the longer one with all the wires connected to the battery! But they were able to cover you under warranty even with the aftermarket install?

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Got it thanks, that’s probably the route I’ll have to go. I can’t for the life of me figure out if it was the camera or the wire harness with the brake and camera wires or the longer one with all the wires connected to the battery! But they were able to cover you under warranty even with the aftermarket install?
Yes. I went to a dealer first and they said they couldn't do it because of the aftermarket carrier. I then tried another one and they said they would do it under warranty. Try to make your case that this happened months after you installed the carrier and don't know why it happened lol but hopefully your first dealer will work with you.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Curious to see how many shims you guys used for the lower hinge bracket. I was running two at first but will hear constant rattle over bumps. I recently ordered two more from EVO and now running three on the bottom hinge and finally lifted the tailgate enough with my heavy tire and noise is completely gone. I got a lot of rust from it this winter as well. Just sprayed some of the outside for now. Didn’t want to take the whole thing apart.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Yup that was the first thing i did when i got 37's. Also had the Artec license plate relocation kit and wiring in the license plate lights
Jeep Wrangler JL New EVO 3032 JL / JLU Hinge Tire Carrier install Review with Pics 20191215_163334

Jeep Wrangler JL New EVO 3032 JL / JLU Hinge Tire Carrier install Review with Pics 20191215_163334
@anotheraznguy I know this post is old but are those bolt leds on that Artec. I just looked on their site and did not see any mention of lighting so I am wondering what you did. Looks great.

Sponsored

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Digging this up from the dead here..

Question on the interior shims - can anyone advise on using thick washers instead of the shims? I got this thing second hand, and it did not come with any shims unfortunately. I'm not talking about the ones on the exterior of the tailgate; I'm talking about the ones you throw on the lower mount point under the plastic trim inside the rear cargo area.

If I just stack a couple washers, do you think that will do fine in place of the shims? How thick were the shims? Think two washers per bolt would be fine?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Digging this up from the dead here..

Question on the interior shims - can anyone advise on using thick washers instead of the shims? I got this thing second hand, and it did not come with any shims unfortunately. I'm not talking about the ones on the exterior of the tailgate; I'm talking about the ones you throw on the lower mount point under the plastic trim inside the rear cargo area.

If I just stack a couple washers, do you think that will do fine in place of the shims? How thick were the shims? Think two washers per bolt would be fine?
If it were me and my Jeep, I'd hold out for a set of their shims instead of using washers. Reason why, is because a mounting flange is technically a friction joint, and surface area contact and the number of retaining bolts is where its strength comes from. Replacing shims with washers in this instance would be eliminating most of the surface contact area between the hinge and body. That means the bolts will have to carry more of the load than they were meant for. It's easier and more straightforward to wait for the proper shims, than to add more retaining bolts to make up for the lost holding strength.
Sponsored