OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed review. Within a few hours the Brown Santa will be delivering 5 of the 37x12.5x17 to our porch.
This morning I talked to a shop that sells these and he gave me a heads up that he has had three customers get rid of them because they suck in the rain. After digging deeper I have found multiple reviews with the main complaint being handling in the rain. Especially getting on and off ramps in the rain and that the tires don't like to be pushed in wet conditions.
Needless to say I have one very panicked wife right now who has been eagerly awaiting her 3.5 Teraflex lift, Steer Smarts front end and these tires on DV8 beadlocks to be put on. We are left scratching our heads that some people say they are good in the rain and others saying they straight up suck. We get a fair amount of rain around here with some very heavy downpours. If this isn't the right tire for our needs I have a small window to return them right now. What drew us to them was the price, off road capability and on road manners. We do wheel aggressively when we can get out there and our goal is to move out to St. George within the year.
I read that you are pleased with their wet performance but HOW are you driving them in the rain? To the store and back? Highway speeds? Etc...
I am now at almost 18k miles on the tires and since i live in northern California it only rains during winter and dry during all the other months. I have done highway speeds during the rain and havent experienced any issues. However i am also taking it slow on onramp/offramps and keeping speed limit when coniditons are bad. I have not however driven the jeep in a downpour with lot of heavy standing water. So i can't comment on that.

Bossrubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur, 1950 m38
I love them. I have about 4000 miles on mine on the 37's. I had 35" (315) cooper sst's before. These are very quiet compared to the coopers which sound like a b-17 at cruising altitude. Everything was good about the coopers. The Patagonias ride great and handle great. I drive my jeep to work about 2 or 3 times a week to work. That's a 65 mile round trip mixed with windy country roads, 2 lane narrow state routes and interstate. Best handling jeep I've had out of 7. No problems in the rain, haven't had any snow to speak of yet to drive in for an honest review. Doesn't look like any wear issues either. Pretty happy with them.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am now at almost 18k miles on the tires and since i live in northern California it only rains during winter and dry during all the other months. I have done highway speeds during the rain and havent experienced any issues. However i am also taking it slow on onramp/offramps and keeping speed limit when coniditons are bad. I have not however driven the jeep in a downpour with lot of heavy standing water. So i can't comment on that.
I would get the milestar 38Ă—13.50 if you have a 3.5" lift. It only weighs 6 or 7 lbs more than the 37 and will look more proportionate and ride better in load c.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Matt, how are they in the rain?
Food for thought...Here's a nice example of 38" Milestar's on a 3.5" lift done by @TTEChris at Tank Customs in Houston. Looks very proportionate with plenty of room to flex. You're 4.88's would push these fine considering they aren't much heavier/taller than the 37. He had the 37 milestar's previously and said the on road ride quality with 38 load c is noticeably better than the 37 load d and the 38 will flex better offroad. My next set of tires will prob be the 38...have a little buyers remorse. :lipssealed::giggle:
DxGdhkE.jpg

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I would get the milestar 38Ă—13.50 if you have a 3.5" lift. It only weighs 6 or 7 lbs more than the 37 and will look more proportionate and ride better in load c.
She wanted those but I talked her into the 37x12.5
I find it odd that the 38s have a C rating and the 37s a D rating. Every other tire I have seen has the side wall rating go up with the larger sizes.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yeah...there seems to be a good market opportunity for a tire MFG to launch a proper 37/12.50/17 load c for jeeps and and lighter SUV's. For a little perspective, Ford engineers selected the 315/70/17 ko2 load c for the 5,500lb Raptor and the Rubicon JLU only weighs 4,400lbs. The load d is ideal for heavier SUV's and full size trucks.

FYI...the BFG km3 also comes in a 39/13.50/17 load c. I bet you'll see more larger tire load c options in the future.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to give an update after having the Patagonia MT's on for 18k miles. I do a 5 tire rotation every 3-4k miles. Tire pressure is set at 25-32 psi for daily driving.

After 18k miles the tread depth ranges from 9/32 to 10/32. The tires started out at 19/32 so i am a little under half tread. however as a usable tire it is probably closer to 1/4-3/8 tread life left.

I still get funky feathering on the tires but it rolls fine on the highway. Tire noise has gotten louder and is audible at 65 mph if the windows are down.

I have not had any issues wheeling these and pushing them up against rocks at 5-8 psi. I havent ripped any tires and there is no chunking of the tread blocks. I did rip the sidewall on one tire a little but it is holding air just fine with no issues.

I am getting rid of these soon cause i will be upgrading to 40's. I ended up picking up another set of PAT's for the 40's as well since it suits my needs.

ucoM8vr.jpg

r3ILPai.jpg

Jruedastinger

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl
Just wanted to give an update after having the Patagonia MT's on for 18k miles. I do a 5 tire rotation every 3-4k miles. Tire pressure is set at 25-32 psi for daily driving.

After 18k miles the tread depth ranges from 9/32 to 10/32. The tires started out at 19/32 so i am a little under half tread. however as a usable tire it is probably closer to 1/4-3/8 tread life left.

I still get funky feathering on the tires but it rolls fine on the highway. Tire noise has gotten louder and is audible at 65 mph if the windows are down.

I have not had any issues wheeling these and pushing them up against rocks at 5-8 psi. I havent ripped any tires and there is no chunking of the tread blocks. I did rip the sidewall on one tire a little but it is holding air just fine with no issues.

I am getting rid of these soon cause i will be upgrading to 40's. I ended up picking up another set of PAT's for the 40's as well since it suits my needs.

ucoM8vr.jpg

r3ILPai.jpg
You can definitely see the cupping on the center of the tire. Just like mine. I’m at 12k and rotate every 4K all 5. Looks like everyone is going through this. I’m not sure if I’m staying with pats or not.

Bossrubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur, 1950 m38
Lite brite just did a video on proper air pressure for the milestars according to the manufacturer. Looks like everyone may have been running to low of a pressure trying to get full contact patch. Apparently the tire is not designed that way. Interesting video. I have been running 31 psi cold for about 6000 miles and have no wear issues. I was going to lower them but never got around to it, after watching the video I may go up a little.

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Lite brite just did a video on proper air pressure for the milestars according to the manufacturer. Looks like everyone may have been running to low of a pressure trying to get full contact patch. Apparently the tire is not designed that way. Interesting video. I have been running 31 psi cold for about 6000 miles and have no wear issues. I was going to lower them but never got around to it, after watching the video I may go up a little.
Link?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I saw the video and don't get the rationale...the 37x12.50 load d Milestars ride stiff as a brick on my JL at 36psi. If you run them at higher psi as they recommend, they will wear the middle tread flat and you will have the same cupping issues. It seems rotating is the most important thing.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yeah...there seems to be a good market opportunity for a tire MFG to launch a proper 37/12.50/17 load c for jeeps and and lighter SUV's. For a little perspective, Ford engineers selected the 315/70/17 ko2 load c for the 5,500lb Raptor and the Rubicon JLU only weighs 4,400lbs. The load d is ideal for heavier SUV's and full size trucks.

FYI...the BFG km3 also comes in a 39/13.50/17 load c. I bet you'll see more larger tire load c options in the future.
37” km3 in c rating are now available