First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
What's the cost of 4.88 installed? I'm running 37's and the stock 4.10's and definitely see a need to re-gear. I pull a trailer at times, and rarely if ever see 8th, and even 7th.
I just re-geared last week 4.88 Yukon Gears $1700 with the Yukon warranty included.
Sponsored

Scooter269

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR & 2019 Wrangler JLU sport S
Hey All!

I wanted to give an update to my experience in my 2018 JLURubicon. I went from the stock 4.10 gears to Dana Spicer 4.88 gears. All I have to say is WOW!

Weight/Build Notes: Stock weight was roughly 4,430lbs. Current weight with full tank, bumpers, sliders, tires, tools, full RotoPax, fridge, etc is 5,370. I stopped and weighed my Jeep at the CAT scales at a Pilot Truck Stop. Also on 37’s (82lb General Grabber X3’s) and Rock Krawler X Factor 2.5” lift. +940lbs heavier since stock

I was really feeling the weight add on the highway often losing 8th and sometimes 7th gear. I’m also in the New York City area and spend a lot of time in and out of mountains (VT, NH, NY).

I almost went 4.56 gears to maintain gas mileage when not in the hills but due to all the time I spend in the mountains I went with the 4.88’s. I also may go with 38’s on my next set of tires so I wanted to future proof in case I make that move.

Review: LOVE. I couldn’t be happier with the extra power! I have a breakdown of RPM’s at 65, 70, 75, and 80mph listed below. The engine is much quieter

MPG: 80mph on cruise control gets around 19.4-7mpg which is amazing. With stock gears I was stuck in 6th gear a lot on the highway so my mileage went up by about 1mpg. I’m getting 22.1-7mpg around 60-63Mph on cruise control! As good or better than stock set up.

Lastly, I’ve heard about people losing Start/Stop and other errors. I have the SuperChips programmer and was able to be at the shop upon completion of the gears. Before I ever rolled the Jeep out of the rack I reprogrammed my gears to the 4.88’s I haven’t had any problems whatsoever. So that’s my recommendation on that, don’t let your Jeep move until reprogrammed! I think 4.56’s would have been fine if I only did tires without all the extra weight but with my added weight/build I am so happy I went with the 4.88’s!

Thanks everyone!

Follow me and check out my build @ PETEY003 on instagram! I’ll answer questions there!
I assume you have the 3.6 and are an automatic. Very well written with detail review on the 4.88. I am leaving more toward the 4.88 as mine is a DD/WW. Not to many trails in flat Illinois so I hav to drive ever where. Mpg matters to me.
Sponsored