Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Congrats on your decision to purchase a Wrangler. Since you asked on a public forum, you will get many opinions and they'll all likely be different in one way or another. That being said, here's mine. In terms of engines, I prefer the 3.6. I had one in my JKU and my wife had one in her last Grand Cherokee and now in her new one. She also had it in a Town and Country before we both switched to Jeeps. We never had a single issue with the 3.6 in any of these vehicles. It is the workhorse engine for FCA and is tried and true. The 2.0 is too new and still needs to be sorted. You've driven a 4 cylinder. Test drive a 6 cylinder and experience the difference for yourself.

As for tops, that is always a personal preference. I prefer the hardtop. My vehicle is parked outside at a commuter lot during the day and at home overnight. I need the security of the hardtop. I added the Sunrider for Hardtop on my JKU and just installed one today on my new JLU. In the end, it's ultimately your decision. Purchase what makes you happy. Good luck!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I would love a soft top but in DFW it would get broken into ASAP:angry:
In Arlington friend, the hardtop is a wise choice. Save the softtop for when you’re going to areas where either there are no people or you won’t be gone from your Wrangler for long and won’t have any valuables inside of it.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
In Arlington friend, the hardtop is a wise choice. Save the softtop for when you’re going to areas where either there are no people or you won’t be gone from your Wrangler for long and won’t have any valuables inside of it.
Yeah between the 100 plus degree weather and all the thieves I’m forced to leave the top and doors on 95% of the time:crying: but hey that 5% is fun:rock:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So I have been wanting to get a Wrangler for a long time and went on a family trip to NV for the past 8 days. We rented a Wrangler Sport and had weather all over the place. We took the freedom tops out 2 of the days and went light offroading 3 times. The offroad was in the mountains in the snow and mud. We drove around Lake Tahoe (over 7k feet at the summit). All I can say is WOW I LOVE IT! It had the 4 cyl which I had been turning my nose up at but I am very impressed with the power and over 25MPG for the 1,100 miles we put on it. Doing a test drive is one thing but having it for over a week really let me see what it was like. Any comments on if a softtop could be better or the 6 cyl? I am extremely happy with what I had and will be selling my M3 very soon and getting a JLU Rubicon!
LOVE your avatar.

Tahoe is amazing with some wonderful trials in the area.

I love the soft top! The sound of the rain on the top is the best. I love driving with the top down all spring through summer. Having it in safari mode is great when it’s hot out.

Engine choice is a bit of a holy war. Get what makes you happy.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Naval Flight Officer
LOVE your avatar.

Tahoe is amazing with some wonderful trials in the area.

I love the soft top! The sound of the rain on the top is the best. I love driving with the top down all spring through summer. Having it in safari mode is great when it’s hot out.

Engine choice is a bit of a holy war. Get what makes you happy.
Yes it is and thanks for the compliment on the Avatar!

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Seconded...thirded? for the Alpine, Aux Switches, and LEDs. Don't forget the proximity locks! I almost didn't get those, thinking that I'm running doors off for half the year, so why? I found I used them in the summer to lock the tailgate, making it less easy to open to try to get into the Tuffy tailgate box.

I like those options so much I made sure to get them on my replacement Jeep :rock:.

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
We're 6 months in with our Rubi. I can tell you, that feeling you had when renting it doesn't seem to fade away! We have our hardtop off this weekend and it feels like the first day we owned it all over again.

I find the 3.6 to be quite enough and fun. We chose it based on "tried and true".

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I have been wanting to get a Wrangler for a long time and went on a family trip to NV for the past 8 days. We rented a Wrangler Sport and had weather all over the place. We took the freedom tops out 2 of the days and went light offroading 3 times. The offroad was in the mountains in the snow and mud. We drove around Lake Tahoe (over 7k feet at the summit). All I can say is WOW I LOVE IT! It had the 4 cyl which I had been turning my nose up at but I am very impressed with the power and over 25MPG for the 1,100 miles we put on it. Doing a test drive is one thing but having it for over a week really let me see what it was like. Any comments on if a softtop could be better or the 6 cyl? I am extremely happy with what I had and will be selling my M3 very soon and getting a JLU Rubicon!
We're 6 months in with our Rubi. I can tell you, that feeling you had when renting it doesn't seem to fade away! We have our hardtop off this weekend and it feels like the first day we owned it all over again.

I find the 3.6 to be quite enough and fun. We chose it based on "tried and true".
Hi Rolling Ragu and Scrappy, Glad to have you in the Jeep Family! Congrats on your new Jeep. We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying Jeep life! Should you have any concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Rob
JeepCares

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I've got just a soft top (fine and dandy in the winter too), but I'd suggest if buying new, order the Dual Top option. This would give you the best of both at a good price. Downside is you'd need someplace to store the hardtop when not in use.
Sponsored