Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

Hotrodnut

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
Will pick up my Sahara tomorrow and trying to learn all that I can. There has been very little posted on the oil sensor and reset, when you change your own oil don't you need to do that and how? Thanks for educating a newbie!
From the owners manual:
Sponsored

Attachments

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I do all of my own fluid changes. I've taken my vehicles to dealerships and places who've charged me, or lied to me outright, and not changed the fluids or completed work correctly. I know this because I always double check work, even when I don't have the time or incentive to do it myself. That's what shops are for... to do things you're either unequipped for or don't have the time. They just assume everyone is unknowledgeable.

That said, all of my vehicles get the motor oil swapped at 1k miles, again at 5k. Then an extended interval with synthetic oil at 7-10k (or longer). The diffs get swapped at 5k...I typically install an aftermarket cover and check the internals. The TC and trans (if manual) also get swapped at 5k. I'll swap the diffs and TC again (checking internals and debris) around 15k then go to extended intervals of 30k.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I do all of my own fluid changes. I've taken my vehicles to dealerships and places who've charged me, or lied to me outright, and not changed the fluids or completed work correctly. I know this because I always double check work, even when I don't have the time or incentive to do it myself. That's what shops are for... to do things you're either unequipped for or don't have the time. They just assume everyone is unknowledgeable.

That said, all of my vehicles get the motor oil swapped at 1k miles, again at 5k. Then an extended interval with synthetic oil at 7-10k (or longer). The diffs get swapped at 5k...I typically install an aftermarket cover and check the internals. The TC and trans (if manual) also get swapped at 5k. I'll swap the diffs and TC again (checking internals and debris) around 15k then go to extended intervals of 30k.
Is there a requirement for diff and TC fluid change like you do it or is just a precautionary measure you are taking? I have a 2018 JLUR with 8spd and have yet to change fluids. Mine runs good and I have 17500 miles on it. But here is the catch, I'm going to trade for a Rubicon diesel by years end. That's why I don't do a lot of stuff to this one. When I get the diesel, I will probably do more stuff to it as far as maintenance and mods. Can't wait...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, good luck with your diesel upgrade. Yes, it's just a preventative measure and I enjoy seeing how everything's initially breaking in. Once I get about 10k on the vehicle I go to the recommended intervals for everything.

danielbishop13

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Sport S
5000km
Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic/Mopar filter
Did it myself, not dealer, nothing free
I do all my own service/repairs on all my vehicles because I am awesome :like:
Dealer is only for warranty work or recalls :jk:

I use the same oil and do all my work myself as well, I installed a drain plug valve so I don't even have to take out the plug. I find it easier to do myself than to go to the dealer.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a valve on the truck for 2 weeks and it LEAKED! Freaked me out. Never again. I'll take the extra 30 seconds and wiping my hand for the extra security of a real pan bolt.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I had a valve on the truck for 2 weeks and it LEAKED! Freaked me out. Never again. I'll take the extra 30 seconds and wiping my hand for the extra security of a real pan bolt.
Color me extra cautious, but I would not have a drain valve on a vehicle that I take offroad despite the "safety features" against accidental opening. They also slow the flow when draining and since I like a magnetic drain plug, it is an all around non-starter for me.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I’m the second owner of my JLUR (bought it with 2100 miles) so I can’t say what happened before me.
I just changed mine at 5300 with Castro’s Edge 0w-30 as recomended K&N filter. I Will do my next change around 10k then every 7500.

My really reason for commenting is; has anyone seen a change in their JL after the oil change. I hoping to god I see better gas mileage. With a best ever of 18.2 (tail wind at 62mph) average at 15.3.... no where close to sticker
We drive Jeep Wranglers for the smiles per gallon! :)

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.

I just had my first change done today at the dealer. I have the WAVE program which means that 2 free oil changes per year for the first 2 years. I have 9100 miles on my 2020 JLUR. I will now be changing the oil every 5K. I was told be the dealer I purchased the Jeep from that every 10K is recommended change frequency.
I am CONCERNED about the work at the dealer !
1) I think it might be over-filled.
When I checked the dipstick, the oil is about 3/8" on the cable that holds the "measuring" part of the dipstick with the hatches on it. Is this too much oil?
2) I think they used regular oil.
The color on the cloth I used to check the oil was a nice tan oil color.
Should I be concerned that this engine is over-filled?
Should the dealer have used synthetic instead of regular oil?
I appreciate any help!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my first change done today at the dealer. I have the WAVE program which means that 2 free oil changes per year for the first 2 years. I have 9100 miles on my 2020 JLUR. I will now be changing the oil every 5K. I was told be the dealer I purchased the Jeep from that every 10K is recommended change frequency.
I am CONCERNED about the work at the dealer !
1) I think it might be over-filled.
When I checked the dipstick, the oil is about 3/8" on the cable that holds the "measuring" part of the dipstick with the hatches on it. Is this too much oil?
2) I think they used regular oil.
The color on the cloth I used to check the oil was a nice tan oil color.
Should I be concerned that this engine is over-filled?
Should the dealer have used synthetic instead of regular oil?
I appreciate any help!
There have been cases of dealers using 6 QTs (JK series) instead of 5 QTs (JL series) and thus overfilling the engine.

If the dealer used 0W-20 that would be synthetic, if they used anything else, then all bets are off. I still have four oil changes on my Jeep Wave program that I will never use. For the reasons that you describe I do all my own maintenance.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Well
Just did my 1st at 4600 miles. I purchased the extended warranty since this is my first Wrangler.
2019 JL Sport S, 2dr, 3.6L 8spd. The extended warranty covers six freebee oil changes. However after reading all the horror stories of how the dealerships know nothing of the vehicles they're selling, I decided to do my own.

Straight by the book as described in this thread, easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy. Mopar MO-349 filter, Mobil 1 AP 0W20 5qts. About 30 to 40 minutes in below freezing temps (Northern Colorado) taking my time.

Oil level is at the top of the hatch mark, with nothing on the wire itself. Oil pressure varies between 30-32 psi, both at startup and warm.

Drove about 20 miles just to determine if I would notice any difference. Found none. I've been averaging just shy of 25 mpg (24.7) using the recommended 87 octane w/ 10% ethanol blend.

I've been driving (even in the mountains) mostly with 2 wheel drive, due to the nice temporate weather we've been having. The Sport S of course has open diffs both front and rear. Nothing as cool and fancy as the Rubi's, but I personally don't rock crawl every day. Not saying I'm not envious, maybe someday, but not for my daily driver.

My point is: just do it yourself. Really easy with the piece of mind of getting it right while having fun with your Jeep. Even if it's not a Rubicon.

Follow the advice here within this forum and go enjoy your Jeep. And certainly with the full knowledge of staying away from the idiots at the dealership oil bays.

Well I just did my second (actually 3rd) oil change at 8800 miles. Got the silly V88 Soft Top side window recall that consists of the dealership service rep printing out a seven page addendum to the owner's manual. That's it. Nothing more to it than that, other than wasting a few trees and some ink. I was notified of this V88 recall even though I have the Hard Top.

However, while I was there, the Express Oil Lane Service bay was empty so I said what the hey, these FCA Dealerships must have their JL Oil Change act together by now. ***NOPE!

Even though I had asked the Service Rep to make sure to put in only five quarts in my JL, they still put in six (actually about 5 and 3/4ths). The twenty-something point inspection sheet had a hand-written note saying 5 quarts, but the computerized printout gave every possible option without indicating either the type or amount.

I should have checked my dipstick before leaving, but I drove happily on my way, blissfully unaware of the complete and total ineptitude and incompetence of the rocket scientists hired at FCA dealerships.

The oil pressure was just a tad higher, (two more psi) than the normal 31 that I've been accustomed to. So I when I parked Snoopy in the garage, I let him cool down a bit to let the oil settle in the drain pan. Low and behold, the oil was about 1/4" above the high mark on the dipstick cable wire.

So I drained it all. Replaced it with my trusty dusty 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W-20 Ultimate Full Synthetic that I always have on hand for the next oil change. I was planning it to be at 10K miles but I pulled the trigger early just because of the convenient opportunity.

Unfortunately, the dealership fill not only fiiled back up the 5 quart Mobil 1 container but also 3/4 of another empty quart container I had saved from my last lawn mower oil change.

So I suppose I got a free oil flush from these knuckleheads.

The Moral of the Story: DO NOT TRUST ANY FCA DEALERSHIP TO FILL 5 QUARTS IN ANY JL WRANGLER. JUST DON'T... They are physically unable to do it even while lying to your face!!! You would think management would realize and understand the cumulative cost savings of the thousands of quarts of oil they could conserve annually (or however many JL Wrangler yearly oil changes they perform).

Silly me. But at least now you are officially warned. FCA dealerships still don't know how to perform oil changes on JL's...

Jay

IMG_20200419_171031.jpg

IMG_20200419_172627.jpg

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
IMG_20200419_183447.jpg
Reposting last pic, didn't notice the image flipped.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Did mine at 2138 miles with Pennzoil full synthetic 0-20 and Mopar oil filter. I have jeep wave but I rather do it myself the right way. Plus I want to change it earlier and get that early break-in garbage out of my oil.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Had my first oil change at 5k mikes, that was about 275 miles (and four weeks) ago. Not sure what possessed me but I decided to check oil level yesterday. When I had it changed I asked and checked what was billed, 5 quarts. When I checked level yesterday, yup over filled.

Imagine a second of those steel hash marked level indicators sitting right on top of the one on the end of the dipstick/wire, the second one would have read about right. In other words, at least an inch too high.

Drove right over to tbe dealer, after taking a photo of the stick this morning, before it got started. They were apologetic and immediately agreed to drain out the excess. I promised I'd double check the level tomorrow morning.

They actually decided it was easier to completely drain the oil, even replace the oil filter again, and top it off, presumably with the correct 5 quarts this time.

As an aside, I think the oil filter on my lawn tractors were just as big, if not bigger than that on the JL. There were 4 or 5 discarded filters in the pan, all the same "miniture" size. Mine was also the first they'd seen with the hood lift struts installed.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just did mine yesterday at 1200 miles. Probably do it again at 5k and then every 7.5kish after that. Took 20 min. Super easy.
Sponsored