Brake Bleed JL?

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I've got about 38,000mi on my 2.0 and pads and rotors still look good. Dealer recommended a brake bleed, of course I plan on doing it myself. For the Wrangler I am reading for JK that it's the following:

REAR Passenger
REAR Driver
FRONT Passenger
FRONT Driver

Is this the same for the JL? Doesn't say in the owner's manual the rotation nor scheduling. No issues with braking so far but I am reading it's fine to change every 40,000mi at the earliest and I probably will want to swap the OG fluid out. Here in MD we get high humidity in the summer months.

Also would using ATE Super Blue DOT 4 be an issue if I brought it in for work in the future? FYI, several years ago DOT unapproved brake fluid that is not amber or clear and stopped sale in the US for commercial and road usage. I believe this had to do with not confusing it with other fluid but you'll need to research that for accuracy. You can still get it for motorsports use only online. I have some unopened ATE Super Blue but it's over 5 years old. I may toss them because of water absorption but can still get some. It makes swapping fluid easier and getting everything out. I ran it through my Porsche years ago hence why I have some.
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
This is correct, longest line first. Most vehicles require a ā€œZā€ bleed or as you said, start pass rear, then driver rear, then pass front and lastly, drivers front.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Sounds like a dealer who just wants to sell you something you donā€™t need. Is a ā€œbrake bleedā€ listed somewhere in the maintenance schedule at 40k miles?

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a dealer who just wants to sell you something you donā€™t need. Is a ā€œbrake bleedā€ listed somewhere in the maintenance schedule at 40k miles?
They told me to get it changed at 31,000 at my last oil change and I ignored it. Also told me to do a bunch of other things that I deferred cause I wasn't turning a $50 visit into a $1,000 maintenance as they suggested - brake bleed, differential, filters. I did my own differential and filters for under $100. I also have a Motiv Power Bleeder so doing this myself is easy.

Maintenance schedule actually says nothing about brake fluid which is interesting but the fluid should be changed at some interval I wish there was official guidance on it.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
They told me to get it changed at 31,000 at my last oil change and I ignored it. Also told me to do a bunch of other things that I deferred cause I wasn't turning a $50 visit into a $1,000 maintenance as they suggested - brake bleed, differential, filters. I did my own differential and filters for under $100. I also have a Motiv Power Bleeder so doing this myself is easy.

Maintenance schedule actually says nothing about brake fluid which is interesting but the fluid should be changed at some interval I wish there was official guidance on it.
I'd change it every 2 years (or 3yrs max) regardless of miles, brake fluid is very susceptible to moisture degradation, more so than most any other vehicle fluid, and if you have a helper it's only a 15-20 minute job and one $10 qt of fluid.

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used my Motiv Bleeder with ATE SLE DOT 4 and it was really easy to do it solos since you can pressurize the system without having to pedal the brakes and won't have to worry about manually pouring fluid into the reservoir. Didn't have to remove the rear tires because you can clear the bleed screws. The front tires have a bit of a spacing issue but with a small clamp you can make it work. I ended up removing the front tires to make it easier. Less than an hour and $20 worth of fluid since I used ATE which is on the pricier side and bought it online (shipping costs) but definitely better than the $220 the dealer was charging.

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI I used the 0100 Euro Bleeder with a 1103 Mopar Adapter. You can buy the 0103 Mopar Bleeder. The adapters are specific the brands, not all reservoir fills are the same. If you intend to bleed your other cars, you may need to buy the adapters for them hence why I had the euro bleeder in the first place (Porsche).

They appear to have locking threads but I added some PTFE tape anyways when swapping adapters.

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Another ATE user here. I haven't used their blue since they stopped selling it here (and it stains pretty badly). ATE Type 200 has been great in all my cars (Japanese and Euro).

I would toss your can if it's > 5 years (ATE specifies a 5 year shelf). It's cheap insurance on a component you definitely don't want failing...

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another ATE user here. I haven't used their blue since they stopped selling it here (and it stains pretty badly). ATE Type 200 has been great in all my cars (Japanese and Euro).

I would toss your can if it's > 5 years (ATE specifies a 5 year shelf). It's cheap insurance on a component you definitely don't want failing...
Yea, I ended up just tossing the Super Blue and going with ATE 200. I can still find it so no problem. When I rotate fluid out of my Porsche I have to go clear anyways so won't need SB for a while, and there's enough color change with ATE 200 fresh that sticking with it in my Jeep is not a problem either.

Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yea, I ended up just tossing the Super Blue and going with ATE 200. I can still find it so no problem. When I rotate fluid out of my Porsche I have to go clear anyways so won't need SB for a while, and there's enough color change with ATE 200 fresh that sticking with it in my Jeep is not a problem either.
Great! Did you notice a pedal feel difference in the Jeep after you bled the brakes?

4a4c55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911, M3, JLU
I used my Motiv Bleeder with ATE SLE DOT 4 and it was really easy to do it solos since you can pressurize the system without having to pedal the brakes and won't have to worry about manually pouring fluid into the reservoir.
I've used Motiv bleeders for decades on my European cars. I bought the Mopar adapter and it didn't fit; could'nt get a seal good enough to hold pressure. Worse, I wrote to them and they essentially said "tough luck" -- that some plastic reservoirs are out of tolerance and won't fit their head.

Did you have to do anything special with your Mopar adapter to get it to fit the reservoir?
Sponsored