Sponsored

Anyone else wrenching during quarantine?

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
It's very straight forward, but tedious. Lots of torque checking, rolling around on the parking garage floor and getting big hands/tools into small places. Also, the pitman arm nut had so much red loctite on it that I went through 2 batteries on my 700 ftlb dewalt impact wrench just to get it off. Hence me saying it was a bitch
Don't even get me started on that damn Pitman arm nut! I gave myself a hernia, a hemorrhoid and a concussion trying to get that damn thing off!
Sponsored

OP
OP
TRZ

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
It's very straight forward, but tedious. Lots of torque checking, rolling around on the parking garage floor and getting big hands/tools into small places. Also, the pitman arm nut had so much red loctite on it that I went through 2 batteries on my 700 ftlb dewalt impact wrench just to get it off. Hence me saying it was a bitch
Thanks. The pitman arm nut came right off for [Banned Site], but I suspect he does everything twice: once to see how it’s done, the second to film how it’s done, so the nut was probably already loose when he was filming. I’ve got a decent breaker bar, so hopefully that helps.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a good time to do it! Unfortunately I don't have any cool new parts to add at the moment. Instead, I was attempting to perform maintenance, and got stuck in my tracks. I had the dealership perform two oil changes since they were free. I no longer trust them, so I decided to do it myself. When I climbed underneath to inspect everything, the drain bolt looked pretty mangled already. I was hoping I can break it loose, and replace it, but no luck immediate slip with the wrench. Long story short, the pan needs to be dropped and replaced. And apparently there is a shortage of them. Another dealership looked them up and told me they were back ordered for an undetermined amount of time. They gave me the numbers of only the 3 dealerships in Ca that show an inventory of them. Needless to say, I got lucky I found one who wanted to part ways with it. But now it's a waiting game. For the time being, I can at least say that at some point she will be ready for another adventure when I can finish this job up. The only other threat is that work may quarantine us on site if this COVID thing takes off in my area. Rumors are on 8 week cycles. If I get lucky or unlucky which ever way you want to put it, maybe I can have new parts? Take it easy all. Hope you guys stay safe and healthy!

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Over the next two weeks

Voswitch switch to control some of the crap I'm installing
A set of cheap Amazon Nilights
Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC Front / Rear bumpers
Smittybilt Gen 3 XRC winch
Onboard air
Texas Metalworks cargo shelves

Have plenty to keep me busy during this "down time"

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
Thanks. The pitman arm nut came right off for [Banned Site], but I suspect he does everything twice: once to see how it’s done, the second to film how it’s done, so the nut was probably already loose when he was filming. I’ve got a decent breaker bar, so hopefully that helps.
You can get to it for sure, but will have limited room to move the wrench through its cycle. I could not believe the amount of red loctite the factory used.

Sponsored

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't have my torch on me when I went to install, but yes, it would have made things much easier.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Over the next two weeks

Voswitch switch to control some of the crap I'm installing
A set of cheap Amazon Nilights
Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC Front / Rear bumpers
Smittybilt Gen 3 XRC winch
Onboard air
Texas Metalworks cargo shelves

Have plenty to keep me busy during this "down time"
I considered the TM cargo shelf. If your "on board air" involves a power tank as is depicted on their site, just make sure you have PT install the snorkel tube if you intend on laying it flat.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I planned on ordering a couple modest things after we sell our small business. Now we’re worried the buyer will back out and the lifeline we needed will go with it. Damn virus. Can we talk about China being a petri dish for regularly infecting the world? I hope people point this out before it’s all said and done.

OP
OP
TRZ

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Sounds like a heat gun on highest setting also works (but will take longer than a torch):

by the way, Ron, one of the reasons I’m upgrading is because I remember helping a ZJ owner jerry-rig a fix for broken power steering pump mounts on Top of the World during a Grand Slam West. This might be overkill , but I don’t want to go through that again!

thegoochie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2012 JK Rubicon
Oil change, light bar install, snorkel install, back seat tilt install. Going to wash and wax.
Then power wash my driveway.
Still working but barely a half day, so must stay busy...
Have to work so employees can feed their families

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Absolutely no cash for upgrades as I lost all of my work due to covid, but I'm definitely out there hitting the trails.
IMG_6393.JPEG
IMG_6391.JPG
IMG_6313.JPG
IMG_6390.JPG

Drove 3 hours to Anza Borrego yesterday and made a day trip out of Sandstone Canyon with the household. Typically I'd grab an airbnb but now it makes the most sense to not stay the night outside of home so until we get camping supplies on lock we're planning some day trips like these to break up the monotony. Really brought the morale up and being so far out there lets you forget about the situation for a bit.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I considered the TM cargo shelf. If your "on board air" involves a power tank as is depicted on their site, just make sure you have PT install the snorkel tube if you intend on laying it flat.
Not using a PowerTank. Going with a dual 100% duty Viair compressor setup.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I have stuff to install but no Jeep yet to put them on.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
With many forms of usual entertainment shut down here in Colorado, I’ve brought forward some of my planned upgrades. Last weekend was installation of Synergy drag link, tie rod and stabilizer. Just ordered the front trackbar and sector shaft brace. Awaiting delivery of a rear bumper, installed backup lights (still have to wire them up) and will finally get around to painting the dashboard pieces. I had originally planned to spread this stuff out, but you can only binge on so much TV!
OP, buying stuff now to add to your Jeep is the single best thing to do. It keeps people employed and you happy. Buy more stuff and bolt it on.

I bought some Mopar 7” lights from quadratec.

if each of us buys NOW what we were considering buying in the near future, the “recession” will be more shallow. If we have a little disposable income, we should all use it.... now.
Sponsored