Elvis JOE TO PRO build.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
So I'm planning on the ones on the top right. I've read nothing but good things about them.

YpqCWq3.png
It's crazy you look at The Terra, Ridge, and Trail Grappler and you see a natural progression but then bam the M/T.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just removed my "splash guards" at the front bumper. What was Jeep thinking with those and why didn't I notice them till someone pointed them out? As simple as they were to remove, they make a huge improvement in the looks department.

Bornabe

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Turbo EcoDiesel (Hellayella)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had several built Jeeps and this go around the biggest thing I'm doing differently is going for Safety, Protection & Recovery FIRST. I'm not even lifting the thing until it's 100% ready for it.

This goes with most things in life and I'm finding this isn't any different in the offroad scene but ask 10 people the same question and you're bound to get 10 different answers. We all have the "perfect" build in mind, that differs for everyone, and that's alright. As mentioned previously, this is my first build. All the previous jeeps I've owned were bought modified and I took them out as is. If something broke, it got fixed. I never really pushed my abilities or my jeeps abilities. This entire thread is part of my researching the build out and educating myself on where money is best spent and where it's wasted. If I was about form over function, I'd already have a cheap lift and 35's installed and call it day. Instead it's bringing back a hobby I'm going to invest time and effort into and I have no issues reading something and saying "hey you're right, that's a better idea". Sometimes we get excited and get a bit of tunnel vision, which is where the input and feedback really comes in handy.

Here's a question for those that have already built Jeeps. If you could start over and you were going building in stages, how would you build your stages? What would you do differently from your original build? Where would you say you made a mistake the first go around?

Bornabe

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Turbo EcoDiesel (Hellayella)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had 37" Trail Grapplers on my Hummer and 33" Ridge Grapplers on my JKR and lemme tell you... you're not going wrong either way. The Ridge Grapplers have been surprisingly capable off-road and have no drone on the highway. The Trail Grapplers are also quieter than most but aired down to 12-15 lbs are extremely usable tires off-road. I put mine through their paces and never once had any tears or punctures.

I now have 35" KM3s on my 2004 TJR and those are a little better off-road in my situations. I'm a "You said do it?" while everyone yells NO, we said DON'T DO IT... kind of driver and beat the snot out of my tires. I don't think I've had a bad moment with either of those 3 sets and will probably go with the Trail Grapplers for my JLURD once it's ready for lift 'n tires. Something about those just warms the heart. I had good tread life with mine on the weighty Hummer.

So I'm planning on the ones on the top right. I've read nothing but good things about them.

YpqCWq3.png

Gatorhead96

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu
Why not split the rubi fenders and add aal fender bracket/light with stock suspension for 35's. Then when you swap axles you can do so with a 2.5 lift. Also didn't see mentioned if you are gonna keep a spare. If so probably gonna need a different spare tire carrior.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Sold the Mopar running boards that came with the jeep and had the windows tinted this morning. I've never been a fan of running boards on vehicles. I'll do rock sliders of some sort in the future. It's amazing what little thing can do for a vehicle in the looks department. I'm still nailing down a few details in the lift and wheels department but those will get installed in the next couple weeks.

No Running Boards & New Tint 2.jpg

No Running Boards & New Tint 3.jpg

No Running Boards & New Tint 4.jpg

No Running Boards & New Tint 5.jpg

No Running Boards & New Tint.jpg

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Why not split the rubi fenders and add aal fender bracket/light with stock suspension for 35's. Then when you swap axles you can do so with a 2.5 lift. Also didn't see mentioned if you are gonna keep a spare. If so probably gonna need a different spare tire carrior.
I'll do some AAL fenders and fender wells in the future, right now I don't want to wait for them to restock as they're pretty backed up on orders. Already planned on a HD tire carrier.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Kiwi LED headlamps installed.

20200311_204423.jpg

20200311_204447.jpg

20200311_205102.jpg

20200311_204745.jpg

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a direct swap to go from a Sport S axle to Rubicon axles with the Rubicon's having slightly wider axles?

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It is straight forward as long as long as you get the factory tie rod and brakes. If not you would have to source a aftermarket tie rod or use your brakes off your sport axle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a 2.5" kit from Clayton, Fox Shocks, Black Rhino Barstow wheels, and Milestar Patagonia tires. Ditching the D35 for a D44 with LSD. Everything gets installed next weekend.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Clayton kit came in today and these are beefy.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wheels and tires arrived, they got mounted/balanced today, and I decided I wanted to double check the fit before installing the lift kit this weekend. I couldn't be more happy with the offset and no, they don't rub the control arms, fenders, or bumpers at full lock. 315/70/17's are STUFFED under those stock Sport S flares, LOL. Still have 7th gear on the highway, tires ride well, and most of all they're quiet. Can't wait to get the lift installed this weekend.

20200505_135213.jpg

20200505_153730.jpg

20200505_152944.jpg

20200505_153751.jpg

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Spent the day with @freddiegs getting my rear axles swapped for a D44 with limited slip, installing the 2.5" Clayton Offroad Overland lift including shocks, and a set of JKS quick disconnects. We got it done but damn we ran into some snags. Jeep looks great and drives great. I need to get out for some official pictures.

Front - before & rear - after. And then completely finished.

20200509_163358.jpg

20200509_222435.jpg

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Oh and these pictures make it look small. I gained over 3" from the lift being installed. right off the bat but we'll see how she settles.
Sponsored