Johns19Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hello all JL fans...
I have a brand new set of Rigid D-Series cube lights I plan to mount on the outer edges of the cowl. I think the functionality works best with them located there and they look good too. My question has to do with wiring this up. I have the MOPAR factory grade aux switch kit that I also plan to install and have two concerns. One, my particular aux lights come with a harness with six wires that get connected to the rocker switch supplied in the kit. The photo below is for a simple on/off switch showing three wires. My kit has six lead wires to the switch due to the dual beam setup. The rocker switch with the kit has low/high/off positions.
Second concern is the MOPAR aux switch pod has one power/hot lead per switch. Any ground wires for the accessories would be connected to a vehicle ground. Basic single-pole electrical connection no doubt.

So, how do I connect this correctly? My guess is there is power "in" to the switch, power "out" from the switch to the lights, and a ground wire. Again, I have this x2 because I have a low/high beam function. If power is coming into the aux switch pod and it is fused my guess is the harness from the light kit either gets modified or tossed in the trash altogether? I am thinking don't toss it out, but do not use the power "in" wire in the light harness and tape it off. I would then wire the switch leg to the light in the harness to the power "out" from the aux switch. Ground goes to ground? Would I need to use two of the four switches in the pod for the low/high function on these lights?

Any clarification would be great!!
Thanks all....
JC

40196-D-Series_Driving_Wire_Harness_Pair_4.jpg
Sponsored

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
This is for a JT but figure it's the same. Would check for AUX wiring colors in YOUR specific user manual.

OP
OP

Johns19Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Yes, I saw this video before and it seems simple. Looks like I was correct and I think I would need to wire the two aux switches to control the low/high on the lights. Bummer that would need to loose two of the four switches.

Another question I have is what wire can I tap to that has power in the ACC/RUN position for a radar detector? I plan to hardwire that as well. I used the white/orange stripe wire in the directional lights before in my 2015 Rubicon so was wondering if that is still the case?

Thanks!

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Yes, I saw this video before and it seems simple. Looks like I was correct and I think I would need to wire the two aux switches to control the low/high on the lights. Bummer that would need to loose two of the four switches.

Another question I have is what wire can I tap to that has power in the ACC/RUN position for a radar detector? I plan to hardwire that as well. I used the white/orange stripe wire in the directional lights before in my 2015 Rubicon so was wondering if that is still the case?

Thanks!
Since you have the factory installed aux switches in addition to the 4 switch wires (both under hood and in the passenger side kick panel) there are two additional wires (for a total of 6). 4 are the switches, 1 is constant hot, and 1 is hot with the ignition on.
According to this post you're looking for the Orange with Pink stripe.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...cable-color-code-wiring-identification.13026/

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
The AUX switches are simply on-off switches so, yes, I do think you will need to use two AUX switches to accommodate low and high beam. The kit switch is, as you mention, off, low, and high so it directs power to high or low BUT NOT BOTH. So, tracing the wires down, IDing, and bench testing your wiring is important. But I'd also call Rigid to find out if there is a problem even temporarily running both high and low at the same time. If there isn't then with two AUX switches you could be in a low only, high only, or BOTH on unless you are consciously careful of the order you turn the AUX switches on-off.

I am sure, for someone smarter than me, there must be a device - perhaps some sort of switch - that could be wired between the two AUX inputs (near the battery) such that it would prevent any current out IF two AUX switches wired to it were both on. This "magic box" would sit between the two aux wires near the battery and the power leads for the low and high beam. Two in and two out.

Something like:

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 09.09.37.png

Sponsored

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Sent a note over to the folks at Ridge as I am interested in their 360 series lights (round), They too have the dual beam and as I understand it you can run the driving light or the amber (color I am getting) or both. Not sure how to wire these up to the aux switches... will see if the respond and what they recommend.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Sent a note over to the folks at Ridge as I am interested in their 360 series lights (round), They too have the dual beam and as I understand it you can run the driving light or the amber (color I am getting) or both. Not sure how to wire these up to the aux switches... will see if the respond and what they recommend.
Well got the information back from Ridge "Unfortunately in order to get that function, we recommend using our harness. I recommend some D-Series on the A-Pillars, nice look and very bright." So using the aux panel is a no go for this light to function as designed.

OP
OP

Johns19Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well got the information back from Ridge "Unfortunately in order to get that function, we recommend using our harness. I recommend some D-Series on the A-Pillars, nice look and very bright." So using the aux panel is a no go for this light to function as designed.
Well hell... OK. So that leaves more room for other goodies on the MOPAR switches... :D

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel FarOut
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all JL fans...
I have a brand new set of Rigid D-Series cube lights I plan to mount on the outer edges of the cowl. I think the functionality works best with them located there and they look good too. My question has to do with wiring this up. I have the MOPAR factory grade aux switch kit that I also plan to install and have two concerns. One, my particular aux lights come with a harness with six wires that get connected to the rocker switch supplied in the kit. The photo below is for a simple on/off switch showing three wires. My kit has six lead wires to the switch due to the dual beam setup. The rocker switch with the kit has low/high/off positions.
Second concern is the MOPAR aux switch pod has one power/hot lead per switch. Any ground wires for the accessories would be connected to a vehicle ground. Basic single-pole electrical connection no doubt.

So, how do I connect this correctly? My guess is there is power "in" to the switch, power "out" from the switch to the lights, and a ground wire. Again, I have this x2 because I have a low/high beam function. If power is coming into the aux switch pod and it is fused my guess is the harness from the light kit either gets modified or tossed in the trash altogether? I am thinking don't toss it out, but do not use the power "in" wire in the light harness and tape it off. I would then wire the switch leg to the light in the harness to the power "out" from the aux switch. Ground goes to ground? Would I need to use two of the four switches in the pod for the low/high function on these lights?

Any clarification would be great!!
Thanks all....
JC

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Help! Rigid D-Series Aux Lites to MOPAR Aux Switches Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 09.09.37
I just installed a set of D-Series Pro Driving lights on my JLUR to the Mopar switches. Per Rigid Industries, the rocker switch leads are not necessary and can be wired to the Mopar Aux Switches. Black is ground, red is not used and blue goes to your aux lead. It’s a 6.3A draw. Aux switches 1&2 are 40A and 3&4 are 15A supply. I wired mine to aux switch 3. Grounded to battery negative terminal. You will need a few butt connectors, one battery lug, 12” of extra negative/ground line and electrical tape and a 12mm and 13mm for battery connectors.

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
This is for a JT but figure it's the same. Would check for AUX wiring colors in YOUR specific user manual.

I have the factory aux switches. Can someone let me know where I can cut this wire since I will only be using positive and ground?

7E943B3F-33A9-4209-BEFF-03117A8F6434.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have the factory aux switches. Can someone let me know where I can cut this wire since I will only be using positive and ground?

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Help! Rigid D-Series Aux Lites to MOPAR Aux Switches 7E943B3F-33A9-4209-BEFF-03117A8F6434

@Levin_tom

I see the harness.......In regard to the lights themselves though, (you did not mention brand/series) what wires do you have actually coming out of each light. Does each light have a wrapped bundles of wires, say about a foot long coming out of the light?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
@Levin_tom

I see the harness.......In regard to the lights themselves though, (you did not mention brand/series) what wires do you have actually coming out of each light. Does each light have a wrapped bundles of wires, say about a foot long coming out of the light?
My apologies @Rhinebeck01 , I am installing ARB Solis lights. See picture of wire coming out.

D935887C-7830-4C1A-887E-AFA37DAA46B1.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My apologies @Rhinebeck01 , I am installing ARB Solis lights. See picture of wire coming out.

D935887C-7830-4C1A-887E-AFA37DAA46B1.jpeg
@Levin_tom

That's a pricey set of lights.... as for where to cut the harness, I'd want to have a back and forth with you before I said cut here lets say.

The install will be easy but again, I do not feel comfortable saying just cut here on this set of lights unless I hear more on your install plan, and have some questions answered.

Will tell you though, if someone here says to just snip the connector off the wire, pictured in your hand in the last photo to get to the 2 wires you need , do think twice before doing that.. On an el-cheapo set of lights I'd probably say the same thing but I have other ideas in regard to yourpricey ARB's.
Sponsored