sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If you have or want a 6-speed JL/JT run your VIN thru the FCA site.

1.jpg
Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I just confirmed this in my Jeep app and mine is listed as affected :no:

thegoochie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2012 JK Rubicon
Yah.... I bought a fire extinguisher and now have the fun of driving around worried that I will spontaneously combust at any moment while j wait for jeep to figure the cheapest way to replace my clutch components with one's that won't critically fail and potentially kill the drivers and passengers in a hellish blaze.

Nice...

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Yah.... I bought a fire extinguisher and now have the fun of driving around worried that I will spontaneously combust at any moment while j wait for jeep to figure the cheapest way to replace my clutch components with one's that won't critically fail and potentially kill the drivers and passengers in a hellish blaze.

Nice...
I keep an extinguisher in there as well, but Iā€™m not sure how often Iā€™ll drive it now. I wonder how long we will wait for a fix. Why couldnā€™t this have happened 6 months ago and not when itā€™s finally feeling like spring?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I would venture to say the chances of things happening to this extreme are low! I have only heard of 2 cases of this happening, Although there may be more that we haven't heard about! Mine is a DD and I will continue to use it as I always would. When and if anything happens ...I know to jump out of the Jeep! That is if I'm not engulfed in flames!!!!

Sponsored

Mr.Fatstacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Sport Manual
See how this plays out...

Rico: I agree that the chances of it happening appear to be low, but the consequences if it does happen seem to be pretty severe.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Im on the list, awesome.

from my little knowledge, wouldnā€™t they almost need to redesign the transmission? Fixing just a few parts inside of it doesnā€™t seem like a true fix

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Looking through the complaints on nhtsa site I found NONE for fire. Anyone else see any? The only fire I know about is the one posted to this forum, and that one involved no injuries.

I think the odds of me being injured or killed in an accident are WAYYYYY higher than from my transmission blowing up, and so Iā€™m going to drive like normal and not worry. Iā€™m also not going to be a guinea pig who lets the dealership work on his Jeep before having a bunch of these repairs under their belt. (Upside down stabilizer bar, anyone?)

I did go ahead and order an extinguisher from elementfire.com because itā€™s a good thing to have onboard no matter what.

Last edited:

thegoochie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2012 JK Rubicon
I assume they just need to manufacture a new pressure plate that won't break apart

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
See how this plays out...

Rico: I agree that the chances of it happening appear to be low, but the consequences if it does happen seem to be pretty severe.
Reading what our forum brother wrote about his experience seemed pretty low key as it was happening to him. He said he had no idea that it blew threw the bell housing and just knew it was smoking ...so he and his family exited the vehicle and then the reality of what happened set in and he knew the jeep had ignited! I understand what FCA has put forth as to what could happen ..Fragments flying etc...and yes the fuel lines add another level of horror to this, but I really believe that this is rare and the fact that they/ FCA is recalling them is a very good step forward toward their brand. I think how ever many it has happened to they don't want to be synonymous with catching fire! Much like the Ford Pinto of the 70's

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
So, hypothetically speaking... if i were to have someone replace the clutch with something aftermarket... Would FCA reimburse for the work? Or would I be out that money and also have my warranty voided? Some of the other stuff is relatively easy to fix with aftermarket/ built up parts. A transmission is a little different. I don't want this to be my first (and last) issue with my Jeep.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So, hypothetically speaking... if i were to have someone replace the clutch with something aftermarket... Would FCA reimburse for the work? Or would I be out that money and also have my warranty voided? Some of the other stuff is relatively easy to fix with aftermarket/ built up parts. A transmission is a little different. I don't want this to be my first (and last) issue with my Jeep.
Ive been tempted by the centerforce stuff even before this recall. May be best to wait out what the repair is for the recall first to include that in your decision making.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Chances may be low but there are a more than 2 cases on the forum alone.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-fire-in-tennessee-today.13557/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-wrangler-caught-fire.37351/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...to-replace-my-rubicon-that-caught-fire.40732/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ansmission-failure.46100/page-14#post-1049120

You can find several more on the NHSTA site and instagram.

I have seen a few on facebook as well. All manual's. So out of how many made is that..not a lot but we also do not know how many more are not reported on forums, social media etc.

I will say for a recall to happen there must be more than we think. Itā€™s serious enough that all our vins are popping up affected lol

Rousie13

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU, '19 Honda Pilot Touring, '15 Honda Accord EXL
Well I just looked and add me to the recall list. Looks like it might be a good idea to order a fire extinguisher just in case. Anyone have any good recommendations?

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
If you have or want a 6-speed JL/JT run your VIN thru the FCA site.

1.jpg
Yeah, I just visited a dealer yesterday and they explained this just went into effect. Depending on how severe and how long the fix action will take may have FCA re-thinking offering manuals for future models. I certainly hope not, though.
Sponsored