Sponsored

Diesel delete

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
What are all the components needed to delete the emissions? All the issues seem to be coming from all the emissions parts which are not under warranty and are considered a wear item. Even if I wait until the warranty runs out it seems for long term reliability and simplicity the answer will be to remove them. I'm sure there are plenty of people that are opposed to it and that's fine you can keep yours on, but if it is not required in your state will others do the same?
Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
What are all the components needed to delete the emissions? All the issues seem to be coming from all the emissions parts which are not under warranty and are considered a wear item. Even if I wait until the warranty runs out it seems for long term reliability and simplicity the answer will be to remove them. I'm sure there are plenty of people that are opposed to it and that's fine you can keep yours on, but if it is not required in your state will others do the same?
As soon as I find the way to do it, I will. Hopefully Canadian tuners will have a solution soon.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
They’re mandated by federal law in every state. It’s not that difficult to remove the emissions components, but if caught it’s a fairly hefty fine. Some places are heavier into compliance enforcement than others.

OP
OP
Killdozer

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
Yes very state dependent. Does modifying the exhaust qualify as emission component in which case a multitude of vehicles would qualify. I would like to remedy the situation before it is an issue with clogged soot and deal with the headaches of egr because there is no doubt that it will happen. FCA cant even put a radio in a jeep without having issues what makes you think they would have been able to put a reliable emissions system on a diesel.

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Yes very state dependent. Does modifying the exhaust qualify as emission component in which case a multitude of vehicles would qualify. I would like to remedy the situation before it is an issue with clogged soot and deal with the headaches of egr because there is no doubt that it will happen. FCA cant even put a radio in a jeep without having issues what makes you think they would have been able to put a reliable emissions system on a diesel.
FCA can't make a reliable diesel emissions system, no one can! It's a flawed concept that exists because it's mandated by a flawed law.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Killdozer

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
I hope to be proven wrong because i just want a diesel wrangler that works, but after seeing several issues already and they arent even into full production is a little unsettling.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you research for hours like I have, you'll come to the conclusion that the #1 culprit on the EcoDiesels that have died early is the EGR system. The DPF isn't usually problematic and neither is the SCR. Those two systems do a lot to clean up the exhaust emissions and they don't generally cause issues. Plus, DEF is really cheap. You can buy 2.5 gallons of it for less than $10 bucks at Walmart. It's the EGR system that kills engines.

So, my opinion is that the best thing to do is to run a tune from a reputable vendor that will disable the EGR system, especially the high pressure side which is on the left when you pop the hood. The high pressure side is where the soot is going to come from. If you simply stop that nasty, contaminated exhaust output from being fed back into the engine, you'll add a lot of life to your engine without having to delete all the emissions crap.

At the rate things are going, all states will eventually go back to emissions testing probably and when they do you'll wish you had that $6,000 worth of emissions equipment you just ripped off your Jeep/Ram. That's why I'm leaving mine intact, and I'm just waiting on a good tune.

If you can't find a tune, I've heard that the EGR block-off plates for the Gen 2 engine will fit the Gen 3 high pressure side of the EGR. I'm sure there will be plates available for the low pressure side soon.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Maybe checking out the ram truck blog that this engine comes with
If you research for hours like I have, you'll come to the conclusion that the #1 culprit on the EcoDiesels that have died early is the EGR system. The DPF isn't usually problematic and neither is the SCR. Those two systems do a lot to clean up the exhaust emissions and they don't generally cause issues. Plus, DEF is really cheap. You can buy 2.5 gallons of it for less than $10 bucks at Walmart. It's the EGR system that kills engines.

So, my opinion is that the best thing to do is to run a tune from a reputable vendor that will disable the EGR system, especially the high pressure side which is on the left when you pop the hood. The high pressure side is where the soot is going to come from. If you simply stop that nasty, contaminated exhaust output from being fed back into the engine, you'll add a lot of life to your engine without having to delete all the emissions crap.

At the rate things are going, all states will eventually go back to emissions testing probably and when they do you'll wish you had that $6,000 worth of emissions equipment you just ripped off your Jeep/Ram. That's why I'm leaving mine intact, and I'm just waiting on a good tune.

If you can't find a tune, I've heard that the EGR block-off plates for the Gen 2 engine will fit the Gen 3 high pressure side of the EGR. I'm sure there will be plates available for the low pressure side soon.
If you go to a truck stop it's $2 or so a gallon by the way. Same stuff also there are many ways to delete system. I seen guys drill holes into their dpf filter and close off the egr. The system will still operate the same you can even run a park regeneration and it will pass under the radar. I already know guys with trucks that do that. If it was me that had the 3.0 I would wait until it gives me problems. No need to touch something if it ain't bothering you

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler JKU on 41.5" Pitbull rockers. A few mods
Never did understand how putting dirty air into your motor was a good idea for anybody other than motor manufacturers / rebuilders.
Mind u trying to incinerate soot under your vehicle doesn't seem much smarter...…. but a bit.
I own a modern 1 ton diesel truck. Disabled / deleted all the emissions crap off it, and tuned it before it had a tank full of fuel through it. Funny never had any issues with it in 102K miles so far, and counting. Also still passes emissions testing like this because it looks to be in place at a glance.
So I hope for delete options to come out very fast. EGR blocker plate and tune at a minimum.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Killdozer

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
If I did take everything off I would definitely hold onto all the parts to go back on if needed but from what it sounds like a tune and egr will be the start. I currently have a modern chevy 6.6 duramax1 ton and havent touched the emissions on it other than putting def in it which like was said is cheapest at truck stops. I will have to do some digging on the ram forums about the ecodiesel in those. But let's be honest I do want to do an exhaust just hear that wonderful clatter!

OP
OP
Killdozer

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
Wow if anyone was hesitant about any emission issues or buying a diesel do not go and read the truck forum. It almost sounds like the only way to keep these things together is with a tune and partial or full delete.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Wow if anyone was hesitant about any emission issues or buying a diesel do not go and read the truck forum. It almost sounds like the only way to keep these things together is with a tune and partial or full delete.
No one has any significant miles or serious failures on a gen3 JLU or DT yet. Sure the high pressure EGR diffuser was full of soot with the gent on the ram forum who put plates on at 900 miles or so, but that’s par for the course with pre-DPF EGRs. Give it enough time and I doubt the addition of the low-pressure, post-DPF unit is going to drastically reduce failure rates, but most of the hysteria stems from gen1 and gen2 disasters so far. All I know is sooner or later this limp-mode nonsense is going to get someone hurt and I can’t wait for the day the EPA gets sued for causing the problem.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Never did understand how putting dirty air into your motor was a good idea for anybody other than motor manufacturers / rebuilders.
Mind u trying to incinerate soot under your vehicle doesn't seem much smarter...…. but a bit.
I own a modern 1 ton diesel truck. Disabled / deleted all the emissions crap off it, and tuned it before it had a tank full of fuel through it. Funny never had any issues with it in 102K miles so far, and counting. Also still passes emissions testing like this because it looks to be in place at a glance.
So I hope for delete options to come out very fast. EGR blocker plate and tune at a minimum.
I have not researched the issue of removing/deleting yet but I am not sure that you can just remove emission system components without causing any codes or errors without reprogramming ECU. I will love to hear from people that have done it.

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler JKU on 41.5" Pitbull rockers. A few mods
I have not researched the issue of removing/deleting yet but I am not sure that you can just remove emission system components without causing any codes or errors without reprogramming ECU. I will love to hear from people that have done it.
Yes you need to tune it to delete it. Check out Ram Eco Diesel forums. They been at this a while now with VM motors
Sponsored