Sponsored

Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Have a 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited EcoDiesel on loan from FCA this week for the purpose of review (long story but I've been doing vehicle reviews for 15 years now and average about 40 vehicles I drive a year for review for a week at a time). Just a coincidence I happen to have a Wrangler of my own but it's nice to be able to compare the two.

Diesel notes so far - Averaging 26.8 mpg with 25% city and 75% 80mph driving. Gas mileage is incredible on the highway but isnā€™t much better than my Pentastar (Red one) in the city driving scenarios. Diesels reward consistency. The extra torque is nice on the highway for passing. Steering is much quicker (14.3:1 ratio in the Diesel) than in my Rubicon. Remember your ROI though as diesel is much more expensive than regular gasoline, and the initial cost of the diesel over the gas engines. Don't buy the EcoDiesel for fuel savings alone.

Acceleration is not noticeably quicker than in my Pentastar. There's a weight penalty for the diesel and a gearing advantage for the Rubi at play here. The programming is also tuned for efficiency from a stop, but seems to be much more responsive from a roll. The engine is very clearly a diesel. It's loud, even with the extra sound dampening. This won't bother most but it's worth noting the diesel clatter is very apparent.

The extra weight is noticeable under braking and cornering. Actually really noticeable under hard braking. Ride is noticeably firmer with the increased spring rates (10%). Bumps are much more pronounced. Sky one touch top is really nice to open quickly but the road noise with it closed is almost like driving with the freedom panels off in a hardtop.

Still have a few more days with it to get more notes on paper. Will update on some final thoughts after my week is up with it.

f3kf1314sV10qHoIxX5IaKydx6K129SwPWjpCFXFIwL-5IiEqcM9iOPpa5aBAdsV7dgMIvP-tJQMEUPl8A=w1278-h959-no.jpg

KqJqDzk2VoPrX6IolC3DSn-X8kIIHzMXw-4kgFLpcknEBwiPIwqeotR9IY5AD8Cz0x8KzOWZsrayX4Ai-w=w1278-h959-no.jpg

LkqjDs8g06FuDL30vWPNUigvYRRf8S9B-jJbWnexqLMPRWAX7s6GEQpON3afJj_JQNXLlcreUKjgo6W8P4=w1278-h959-no.jpg

1S1TXWLgfVI3YUJFPe_xTG7o-kuGhDUhm7atbG22Npyu6eyw6jScDSxjTJog9xFVL_DJ_L0DaMryxESXW0=w1278-h959-no.jpg

sCZ-6f3z4XEsmkZ1ryZHiVzuNabbq2FYqp7wZ_Ya67Xjr64LvXPUiDF2l7FFz_Uo-Yi6N1477XVAUp_e1Y=w1278-h959-no.jpg

83s0edthV4X5dUEYPJKNDkBW8tXlkft3EO5KbCi-fKv-omYOK7p5mbtgIlXRyfv-GnsFcI4gn3cH-zvNvo=w1278-h959-no.jpg

HvnROpRLBgG64cRfWKHh92q-RsB39yOB2UHFKnE5V-8LlyNnslzIbW4z4ml9X8UABkz8AZolc_97cC-hwY=w1278-h959-no.jpg
Thanks for the teaser review. Looking forward to a full review. Who do you review for?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Cost of ownership for a modern diesel has nothing to do with gas mileage or motor longevity - today it's all about the cost of maintaining the emission system. Post back in 30k miles, maybe along with a picture of your EGR valve.
The diesel emissions system is my concern. I drive a lot of City, bumper-to-bumper, so a diesel is probably a bad fit for my driving habits. A extended warranty is probably a good idea. It does not cover everything but the Max Care does list some engine emissions components it does cover. EGR valve is one of them.

Attached is a copy of the actual Max Care contract pertaining to Engine Emissions coverage.

Attachments

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Iā€™ve got almost 3000 miles now on our ecodiesel Rubicon I can say itā€™s on 38s not re geared yet but it goes into get it done this week. But MPGs are about 19 but when it was stock and pulling our 1900lb tear drop RV it got 11.5 and that sux but I didnā€™t buy it for mileage I got it for torque. We wanted something that will be fully built and still be able to pull our little RV and that it does very well. And yes we wheel the hell out of it EJS is in April we canā€™t wait.

7736C3D7-E21D-4FD7-95A4-889B206A3F2D.jpeg

006F322C-E4BD-491A-A019-B080F3C38DEB.jpeg

0F36F584-50DF-4FEE-8B24-42B4ED718F35.jpeg

E292C71A-D68A-4CB9-91D7-58669C6D869F.jpeg

A978AEB7-8EDD-4A8C-A668-2892515D60BA.jpeg
Yeah, 11.5 does suck!

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Hey all, Iā€™m new here, have been reading the forums these last few weeks.

just wondering why this review was never updated...

I donā€™t have a jeep yet, bit thinking of getting one. I donā€™t even know the price of diesel fuel around me, but more attractive than price is the better mileage between refueling. Granted where I go most of the time gas/diesel can be found. Everything Iā€™ve read on the diesel vs the 3.6 indicates that they deliver about the same performance for your avg joe, but youā€™ll be really thankful you have it when off-roading. I havenā€™t done much off-roading (as I donā€™t have a Jeep...lol, I had a 2008 Range Rover ā€” Full size, but that was just to expensive to fix to take off-road, haha, itā€™s gone now, due to airbags costing like 10k CAD), but would love the chance to do it.

With that said, thereā€™s OBVIOUSLY lots and LOTS of Jeep Wrangler 3.6 v6ā€™s out there and people are doing fine with them and itā€™s more than capable.

Is the diesel worth it? I understand the low-end torque when climbing, but is the v6 geared in such a fashion that it requires the same amount of pedal input to achieve the torque it requires at say 3500rpm? I.E. other than the RPMā€™s having to be higher does the pedal input also have to be more aggressive?

and I canā€™t decide on manual vs auto so thatā€™s another thought...I could go either way, but obviously if I want manual, diesel not an option. I however, do have another car which is manual, so not a big deal of the Jeep is auto...but I also read theyā€™re better in auto (but who knows as itā€™s opinion right)

Rob

Sponsored

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
The Diesel in the Wrangler has impressed me. You can spot the traditional noise as soon as it starts, which quiets somewhat as the engine warms.

The engine and transmission are well-paired with spot on ratios. I thought I would miss having a compression brake like my Diesel trucks do, but the trans downshifts well enough that you'll think it's psychic. Still need to downshift? Simply move the trans lever to the left and move down through the gears manually. And, if you try to force a downshift that'll raise the revs too high - the trans is smart enough to deny the move.

The power output surprised my wife the first time she floored it during a turn and chirped the tires. She also has a habit of not letting our Diesel vehicles do their "warm up to start" process. But,, if she blows that process off, the engine is smart enough to delay her start attempt just enough to let the programmed warm up still work.

Every year I do the Pony Express Trail from Fairfield Utah to Wendover Nevada. This Diesel Jeep is the first Jeep I've had that can do the whole trail as well as getting to and from it in one tank of fuel. I no longer have to attach fuel cans to my Jeep to make it. And, I don't have to mess with transferring fuel out on the trail.

Seriously, buying this Jeep from Ken Garff West Valley was a PITA, but the ownership of it is superb. I've owned 20 Jeeps during the past 40 years, and this one has quickly become my favorite.

Hunter

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would have thought the EcoDiesel would have delivered better MPG than 26.8. Thatā€™s not worth the steep additional cost for the engine, the diesel fuel, the DEF refills, the added noise, etc.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hey all, Iā€™m new here, have been reading the forums these last few weeks.

just wondering why this review was never updated...

I donā€™t have a jeep yet, bit thinking of getting one. I donā€™t even know the price of diesel fuel around me, but more attractive than price is the better mileage between refueling. Granted where I go most of the time gas/diesel can be found. Everything Iā€™ve read on the diesel vs the 3.6 indicates that they deliver about the same performance for your avg joe, but youā€™ll be really thankful you have it when off-roading. I havenā€™t done much off-roading (as I donā€™t have a Jeep...lol, I had a 2008 Range Rover ā€” Full size, but that was just to expensive to fix to take off-road, haha, itā€™s gone now, due to airbags costing like 10k CAD), but would love the chance to do it.

With that said, thereā€™s OBVIOUSLY lots and LOTS of Jeep Wrangler 3.6 v6ā€™s out there and people are doing fine with them and itā€™s more than capable.

Is the diesel worth it? I understand the low-end torque when climbing, but is the v6 geared in such a fashion that it requires the same amount of pedal input to achieve the torque it requires at say 3500rpm? I.E. other than the RPMā€™s having to be higher does the pedal input also have to be more aggressive?

and I canā€™t decide on manual vs auto so thatā€™s another thought...I could go either way, but obviously if I want manual, diesel not an option. I however, do have another car which is manual, so not a big deal of the Jeep is auto...but I also read theyā€™re better in auto (but who knows as itā€™s opinion right)

Rob
how come the 2.0 isn't part of your consideration? I'm in the same boat as you, looking to get a rubicon by the end of the year and i'm 95% set on the 2.0.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
how come the 2.0 isn't part of your consideration? I'm in the same boat as you, looking to get a rubicon by the end of the year and i'm 95% set on the 2.0.
I agree, stylett9 should consider the 2.0. When looking at all (US) engine options and comparing HP & torque, it is positioned between the 3.6 & 3.0.

Peak Torque: 3.0 > 2.0 > 3.6
Peak Power: 3.0 < 2.0 < 3.6

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm...well, I owned the aforementioned Range Rover for 6 years and loved it, so I'm used to the "cushioned" ride quality (I'm not gonna call it sloppy -- it gets sloppy when you get carried away on a turn) so I figure the Jeep is great and more than adequate kinda vehicle. I'm missing my ride height, the thought of getting stuck and don't want another RR. I go to northern ontario a lot...

Anyway, to answer your question, I bought a Manual Golf R last August to replace the RR, and although a fun car, it's no GT350R (my other manual) and it's so German (I don't mean to offend, it's just SO refined it doesn't even feel like I'm going fast...it's very hard to explain). It's a "fun" car, it's not a blast to drive. Anyway, I'm getting off-topic. It's a 4 cylinder Turbo as is the Jeep, so I just kinda took the 4 cylinder out of my selection criteria lol. I honestly hadn't thought of it. I have read it's a bit faster than the V6 but by meaningless, fractions of a second and quite honestly, not buying a Jeep cause I'm fascinated with it's 0-60 times haha.

I did read on another thread that the V6 power band is very nice, it's a proven, almost bulletproof engine now, so that's another reason I was leaning toward it...not sure the same can be said for the 4 cylinder...any insight? Why did you pick the 4 over the 3.6 V6?

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, stylett9 should consider the 2.0. When looking at all (US) engine options and comparing HP & torque, it is positioned between the 3.6 & 3.0.

Peak Torque: 3.0 > 2.0 > 3.6
Peak Power: 3.0 < 2.0 < 3.6
Hmmm. Buuuut one is a turbo and one in naturally aspirated. Haha. Not to say either is better turbos are great at "filling in the gaps" where the power band could be lacking (look at the Volvo -- turbo and superharged ...powerband is supposedly very linear -- I personally haven't driven one).

Btw, very responsive forum. Impressive. But where's the OP?

R

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
I would have thought the EcoDiesel would have delivered better MPG than 26.8. Thatā€™s not worth the steep additional cost for the engine, the diesel fuel, the DEF refills, the added noise, etc.
The average MPG readout the OP posted on my diesel is usually 2-3 MPG lower than what my trip average MPG is listed as, and doing hand calculations at the pump the trip average MPG is usually spot on.

On a trip from Temecula to OC my average MPG gauge was reading 30.1 while my trip MPG read 33.3.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
nice review but in all honesty i'll stick with my 3.6 because the newer diesel are somewhat not as reliable as the older gen diesels. also i cant see spending the higher cost for the diesel option and pay upward of $3.49 / gal. right now i'm enjoying the 1.98 / gal of octane 87.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
also i cant see spending the higher cost for the diesel option and pay upward of $3.49 / gal. right now i'm enjoying the 1.98 / gal of octane 87.
Diesel prices are closer to gasoline prices in some states.

Jeep Wrangler JL Have an EcoDiesel JL Sahara for the week...some observations. Fuel_taxes_in_the_united_states
Sponsored