First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
I'm think about buying a Ford Raptor and curious as to whether anyone has experience with it and how much aftermarket there is? Obviously the Jeep JL has a load of aftermarket and this is why I love my jeep.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrewJL

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
I'm looking for a comparison, hence why its on this forum.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm think about buying a Ford Raptor and curious as to whether anyone has experience with it and how much aftermarket there is? Obviously the Jeep JL has a load of aftermarket and this is why I love my jeep.
I had a Gen I, 2013 with all the factory available bells and whistles. It was an absolute beast and I loved it. I haven’t driven the Gen II, but I prefer the simplicity (and growl) of a naturally aspirated V8 over a boosted motor. I’m not crazy about the new aesthetic, either. They made the front look like a scuba mask.

Anyway, I’m sure the new ones are every bit as awesome to drive as the original.

Back when I had mine the aftermarket was much smaller than it is for Wrangler. I added a programmer and a tonneau cover, and that was about it for mods. The only off-roading I did in it were fire access roads. It was a very good daily driver, gas mileage notwithstanding. I still miss it, but the Wrangler is more fun - 2 door, manual transmission, doors off and topless > big truck that goes vroom.

FRF forum was/is excellent.

Good luck!

OP
OP
TrewJL

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
I had a Gen I, 2013 with all the factory available bells and whistles. It was an absolute beast and I loved it. I haven’t driven the Gen II, but I prefer the simplicity (and growl) of a naturally aspirated V8 over a boosted motor. I’m not crazy about the new aesthetic, either. They made the front look like a scuba mask.

Anyway, I’m sure the new ones are every bit as awesome to drive as the original.

Back when I had mine the aftermarket was much smaller than it is for Wrangler. I added a programmer and a tonneau cover, and that was about it for mods. The only off-roading I did in it were fire access roads. It was a very good daily driver, gas mileage notwithstanding. I still miss it, but the Wrangler is more fun - 2 door, manual transmission, doors off and topless > big truck that goes vroom.

FRF forum was/is excellent.

Good luck!
Great feedback, thanks

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
speaking aftermarkets. the jeep has more aftermarket products to cover all areas of the jeep and offers different styles. the raptor doesnt offer as much and kind of limited to the different styles.

i've looked at the raptor (no test drive or anything) and like them, but here's my take / views. they are big and they can be a pain driving and parking it (in my area). they suck gas. i think the gen 2 reqs. octane 91. i've read that the shocks need to be rebuilt at 50k miles and they are not cheap. the overall cost of ownership is high. i would not buy a used one because, most of them have been abused, raced and or jumped. the used prices high. i saw one with 80k miles on it and asking $55k. the new ones are knocking on the door of $80k.

to me the wrangler is by far the best value in owning and customizing it to your taste.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the other thing you might want to keep an eye out is a possible ranger version of the raptor for the us. when, i dont know. but that was something i would look at.

Means2212

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2012 Ford Explorer, 2019 JLUR
Owned a Gen 2 for couple years. Loved it but I kept coming back to how expensive everything was in the aftermarket. I can do things with my JL for a 1/3 the cost. If you have specific questions hit me up. I would say though that they have two very different purposes in my mind. Jeep definitely suited myself better but I do miss slamming the pedal the way the Raptor let me

3873BF3A-6030-4C65-986F-D7FCC0FA598F.jpeg

T14Jeremy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude
Coming from a 2019 Raptor, I really loved that truck! Unfortunately it was using a quart of oil around every 500 Miles, so Ford bought it back. I might go for another one, but I need time to decide so I ordered a JL for the time being.

The aftermarket for Gen2 Raptor is huge, not quite as big as it is for Jeep, but you will have no shortage of mods!

DSC_5557.jpg

DSC_5563.jpg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
Sponsored