Sponsored

Is it just me or do the headlights suck?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
+1 on the 10K beamtechs with fans. No flicker. Fan noise is only really audible when I'm pulling into the garage. No black spots/dead spots and it has a sharp cutoff. I got flashed with the halogens a lot, but since I put in the beamtechs and aimed the lights; I almost never get flashed now (well, there was that time I had five wheels & tires in a hitch mounted cargo basket...).

Complaints:
These super bright white LEDs (even adjusted) are TOO BRIGHT in fog. It's technically illegal where I'm at to run only fog lights (headlights off), but I'm thinking I'll get some super bright LED fogs to run w/o headlights when it's foggy, which should be much better due to the lower placement. It has to be an improvement considering I'm basically blind in the fog now.

High beams are considerably brighter than the halogens and project much farther and wider (I blind myself on reflective road signs), however, they appear dimmer than the low beams on the road (due to being spread over such a wide range); so my eyes have to adjust when going between lows and highs since the lows turn off. I think if I get the high powered fogs and a Tazer to enable fogs with high beams, it would mostly solve the issue.

Even with the couple issues, this is by far the best lighting I've had in a vehicle... which ain't too shabby for $40.
Sponsored

Pilot12

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Wrangler - 2015 911 Carerra S
Recently installed the oracle oculus led headlights and they are phenomenal. Better than my 991 Porsche bi xenons, easy to install and reviews are that they are even better than stock led. No flash needed from dealer and can be had for around $500 if you nab them while on sale.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Mopar retrofit LED headlight kit because I really do like the OEM LED headlights on my GMC. But at about $700 mail order, I hesitated a bit a day or two ago.

This morning it I recalled seeing a brand new set of Rigid SAE square lights in the garage, when I was looking for something. I had them on my truck, but the lenses had crazed and yellowed and I sent them to the manufacturer for lense replacement. They just gave me some new lights. But by then I had put some Morimoto fogs on the truck. They've been in the cabinet for about a year.

My recollection was that the Rigid SAE lights were about 1700 lumens each and had a dead sharp cutoff with no bleed above the cutoff. That should make for a "safe and sane" supplement to my halogen low beams, when properly adjusted. I'm not the type to worry about how my vehicle looks with a mix of halogens and LEDs to someone else. I'll put this in the " round tuit" mod list.

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My Rubicon did not come with an LED package and when i bought and replaced my stock bumper with the Mopar steel bumper, it came with led fog lights. it is a huge difference when headlights and fog lights are on, so I will be upgrading to LED headlights if i find a good set

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Not if you're getting the safety package that gets you the LED tails, then you'd have to pay another $995 for the headlights, which i wasn't going to do. That, and i really dislike the lit ring on the headlights.
If I recall correctly, if you got the safety package, the additional LED package was discounted. Might be mis-remembering though. Considering the decent aftermarket options are still $500-900, still a deal to me. Not to mention all of the LED marker lights. I think it looks super mean at night.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Stock LEDs on mine and they're fantastic. Probably the option on mine I'm most grateful for. Have them on all 3 vehicles and they've been well worth it. Learned from my wife's 2014 Cherokee how bad the normal lights were so HID or LED were a must.
The KL Cherokee's halogen lighting was awful. I went and got aftermarket HID lamps, and that still didn't help with the driver's side fall off. Worse lights ever. Even my '49 Fargo 1/2 ton's seal beams were better.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
When I bought my 2019 JLUR it had BY FAR the worst headlights of any vehicle I have ever owned (which is quite a few....). Not only were they next to useless, but I got highbeamed by half the cars I passed at night, and a few during daylight hours. The high beams were hopeless, so I always drove with the lowbeams because at least I could see the road in front of me...

A couple of months ago I was driving in fairly heavy fog, and I could easily see that that the headlight beams were aimed high, and directly into oncoming traffic. I took it to the dealer and they checked it, and the headlight alignment was WAY out of spec since new. Had them adjusted and they are much better. Still nothing to write home about, but the high and low beams are way more effective, and I never get beamed anymore by oncoming traffic.
I wonder how many headlights are out of spec from the factory? Or made out of spec from suspension. height, wheel, tire, bumpers, weight added, etc?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I think I’ll spend $26 on a brighter set of Philips halogens with a 300 hour rating and keep my little Jeep grill Easter egg. lol If I bust a taillight or headlight, I may even be given one for shipping cost with all the swaps going on.

Sponsored

Testut

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL 2-door
When I bought my 2019 JL I was impressed by how much better the OEM halogens were in comparison to my old JK. I didn't understand why so many folks were complaining about the poor headlight quality. After a few months of ownership and being routinely flashed by approaching drivers I discovered that the headlights were out of adjustment. They were easily adjusted to the correct setting, but then I discovered why folks thought the OEM halogens weren't good. Sigh... Bought a set of Oracle Oculus Bi-LEDs and the problem went away. No problems in fog, either.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
When I bought my 2019 JL I was impressed by how much better the OEM halogens were in comparison to my old JK. I didn't understand why so many folks were complaining about the poor headlight quality. After a few months of ownership and being routinely flashed by approaching drivers I discovered that the headlights were out of adjustment. They were easily adjusted to the correct setting, but then I discovered why folks thought the OEM halogens weren't good. Sigh... Bought a set of Oracle Oculus Bi-LEDs and the problem went away. No problems in fog, either.
I was flashed routinely by oncomming drivers too. I didn't adjust my headlamps but after i installed a steel bumper. I no longer got flashed.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Is it just me or are the regular headlights on the Wrangler not that bright? I'm not sure if this is an issue with the headlights or just something I just need to accept in a car (truck? suv?) that is a lot higher off the ground or if this is just shitty headlights. I've been driving little, low cars for most of my driving career other than my dad's Dodge Ramcharger and the Jeep Cheerokee that I learned on back in the early 90s. Is this just typical of the higher position of the headlights since they're further from the ground or something like that?

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should consider a headlight upgrade or if those will just be blinding everyone on the road?
Is it just me or are the regular headlights on the Wrangler not that bright? I'm not sure if this is an issue with the headlights or just something I just need to accept in a car (truck? suv?) that is a lot higher off the ground or if this is just shitty headlights. I've been driving little, low cars for most of my driving career other than my dad's Dodge Ramcharger and the Jeep Cheerokee that I learned on back in the early 90s. Is this just typical of the higher position of the headlights since they're further from the ground or something like that?

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should consider a headlight upgrade or if those will just be blinding everyone on the road?
Lol we learned after owning a couple JKs we could not pay fast enough when we ordered our JL. Stock headlights blow.

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler
They are far from the best. I would definitely swap them out for the KC replacement headlights. Check them out, tons of reviews on them out there.
Get led they are awesome

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
If you're talking about the stock halogens, yeah. They're awful. I once turned off all my lights while driving in overcast weather around 5 PM (before DST in the East), and I quite literally noticed no difference in lighting in front of me without them on. I actually turned to my wife and said I'd be just as good without lights.
Sponsored