Sponsored

Static load limit for bare 2door roof? Anything stopping me from setting a small tent up there?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
IMG_6069.jpeg

I was sitting on my roof this evening watching the sunset up on Drinkwater Flats OHV and thought how nice an RTT actually could be in situations like this. On the flip side I don't really want to drop $2k on an elaborate roof rack and RTT setup, become 175lbs heavier up top and further drop my gas mileage.

It seems pretty sturdy up there on the 2 door, would it be a terrible idea to pitch a small 2-person tent up there and secure it somehow with bungee cords, ratchet straps, or something? That way I can get the comfort and cool factor of being elevated but without the full time downsides of running an RTT. The manual implies the dynamic load limit of the non-reinforced, stock hardtop roof is 100lb, but can't find a safe static load rating. I would also assume this is unaccounted for but the 2 door seems sturdier than the 4 door by a little bit since it's a shorter surface area between the supports/corners.

If this is a bad idea, is there a reinforcement I can do without going with a full roof rack? This may just be a dumb passing idea but the surface area is definitely good for it.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am not sure what you are asking.......

are you wanting a “roof top tent”? Or are you asking if you could take some kind of regular ground tent and just pitch it on the roof instead of the ground?

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure what you are asking.......

are you wanting a “roof top tent”? Or are you asking if you could take some kind of regular ground tent and just pitch it on the roof instead of the ground?
Pitching a regular ground tent on the roof is what I'm after - I'll figure out a strap setup to secure it, but the static weight limit is my concern. Would I be able to sleep two ~160lb adults up there without worrying about damaging the hardtop?

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Interesting question...I'd be interested in learning about weight limitations on the roof too.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you used Thule Crossbars, gutter mount, with a flip- open plywood base for the tent footprint, that would be light and strong. Mattress, tent, stow in Jeep, keep profile and weight down on hardtop...

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
The gutter mounts each have a weight limit. Does anyone know what that is? If you have 400 lbs on the roof, that would equate to 100 lbs, roughly, per gutter mount. If the limit is, say 80 lbs on the gutter, you pose the risk of breaking the gutter at the point on the mount. Does anyone know that gutter mount weight limit?

Also, a good question is if you distributed weight across the roof with say a foam pad, what total weight can the roof support. In this latter scenario, the weight would be carried by the roof structure, and the lower edges around the tub.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The WRANGLERS I've had/w RTT's on the HARDTOP, had a 150lb static load--

Each one I've used a HARDTOP RACK, that was anchored to the TUB --the POLY HARDTOP is not very strong in crack resistance--

If you apply anything over 150lbs ON TOP thru different TEMPERATURE changes--you'll ruin the top and WARRANTY WON'T COVER !

W.E.

JIMBO

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
So is the Mopar suggestion to be interpreted as 300 lbs in total weight can be supported?
i.e. 150 lbs, per cross bar, or 75lbs per gutter connection/footing?

I don't think I've seen anywhere, where it states the total load just resting on the roof. In this latter scenario, the gutters aren't supporting weight, but the roof structure, and roof edge along the tub would be.

Sponsored

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
oh...I re-read your post...my bad...sorry

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No worries. Seems to be a lot of miss info about how much a JL's roof can support. When I was looking into a roof rack I also read a post that referenced to Mopar saying, not to mount on roof rails. Odd, them selling a rail mounted roof rack. Bottom line, I've never found a reference to Mopar stating any roof load numbers. Maybe somebody has and can post a link but until then, IMO load numbers are purely assumptions. A couple of after market companies have some nice roof racks that are supported on the lower body or internal roll cage. Cost of these is to rich for my blood. I was just thinking of hauling a light but bulky 30lb. 6 person tent on the roof. I came up with this idea
JL aluminum roof rack 2 (1).jpeg

RV aluminum rail cost $40 and weight 6 lbs. Ground tent is big enough for a cot,chair and table. I'm not sleeping on the roof. cheers!

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Hey that's a practical idea. I'd be scared about putting permanent holes in the roof, but hey, it works!
For me, I'd consider spray painting the bars black.
Nice though!

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I heard th
The gutter mounts each have a weight limit. Does anyone know what that is? If you have 400 lbs on the roof, that would equate to 100 lbs, roughly, per gutter mount. If the limit is, say 80 lbs on the gutter, you pose the risk of breaking the gutter at the point on the mount. Does anyone know that gutter mount weight limit?

Also, a good question is if you distributed weight across the roof with say a foam pad, what total weight can the roof support. In this latter scenario, the weight would be carried by the roof structure, and the lower edges around the tub.
Yeah the gutter mounts concern me. I don't feel like I can put a basic platform down and pull this off, but instead just use the actual direct roof surface as my tent pitching surface with possibly a foam pad in between or inside the tent. I'm gonna measure the surface up there today and look for a suitable tent. May as well give it a shot at least for a single person - the 2 door roof seems well supported for static loads since the distance between the front two mount points and the back corners is a pretty short span. Maybe I can keep a heavier camera monopod in and add a quick and dirty support beam inside in the middle of the roof when I plan on setting up the tent. If all else fails I just can set up on the ground!

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
I heard th

Yeah the gutter mounts concern me. I don't feel like I can put a basic platform down and pull this off, but instead just use the actual direct roof surface as my tent pitching surface with possibly a foam pad in between or inside the tent. I'm gonna measure the surface up there today and look for a suitable tent. May as well give it a shot at least for a single person - the 2 door roof seems well supported for static loads since the distance between the front two mount points and the back corners is a pretty short span. Maybe I can keep a heavier camera monopod in and add a quick and dirty support beam inside in the middle of the roof when I plan on setting up the tent. If all else fails I just can set up on the ground!
I admire the determination.
Sponsored