First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Actually I ended up buying the Rockwood 2514F.

$13,500 was purchase.

It has outside shower hookup so I'm going to get a shower tent for outside. Toilet is honestly for emergency or when out in the middle of nowhere, will use site facilities for restroom most of the time.

I will add, however, the weight dry is appx 2700 and tongue 290. Thought my Rubicon would easily handle it(and it does power wise) but she sags quite a bit when trailering(ass end down, nose of trailer down). Anyone know how to fix or address that?

Otherwise awesome freaking popup.

See attached link.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020...om-expandable-trailer-floorplan-2514f-tr45465
Yeah we need one with a shower and a shi... a toilet because of what we're doing with it. Long road trips, not necessarily destination camping.
There are loads of smaller sized campers out there suddenly that offer all the amenities you get in larger campers. We had thought about doing videos about our search and doing reviews of smaller campers. May still do it..
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Actually I ended up buying the Rockwood 2514F.

$13,500 was purchase.

It has outside shower hookup so I'm going to get a shower tent for outside. Toilet is honestly for emergency or when out in the middle of nowhere, will use site facilities for restroom most of the time.

I will add, however, the weight dry is appx 2700 and tongue 290. Thought my Rubicon would easily handle it(and it does power wise) but she sags quite a bit when trailering(ass end down, nose of trailer down). Anyone know how to fix or address that?

Otherwise awesome freaking popup.

See attached link.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020...om-expandable-trailer-floorplan-2514f-tr45465
A weight distribution hitch with anti-sway would be the best route. This will transfer some of the tongue weight back onto the steering axle so that you don't end up with understeer. The anti-sway helps prevent loss-of-control fishtailing that can be caused by strong crosswinds or improper loading of the trailer.

Some people use air lift bags in the rear springs. This will help level the rig, but does not help with weight distribution.

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I tow an Opus OP4. 2870 dry, 3970 GVWR. 3.5 lift and 35's. No issues.

09749EB6-E3E6-493C-8AB2-5658FA35F487.jpeg

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have a lifted JLUR on 37s and pull a camper all over the US. My solution for the hitch problem was to put a real bumper with a reciever built into it.

I put on an ACE Engineering bumper that I think is just about impossible to hurt. I think the Jeep would cave in around it before you could hurt it. The camper I pull is set up high so it can be pulled off road, so I do not even use a drop hitch with it..

84admkyRuNe_Q113tx24zzpDyUAi_eRRMjGMnUnSWAO6ue7bTFcIlERNC9EgV0OsvHPBDVoyvXuEOmjy30=w1010-h757-no.jpg

Bnq-3MLaVSMe5wUa0Yn26dAn93xKn165orA7HPkPPOzMzQHQhZO5Lc272bHeghNhI1k1Jw8WII1r1Ii4Ik=w1218-h757-no.jpg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Impressed with how flat that sits. Curious what the tongue weight is if you don't mind me asking. I picked up a trailer that has a lighter dry weight but a decent amount of tongue weight. In return it pulls amazing but I squat a little in the back. I'll post a pic in a bit if my computer will cooperate.

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a lifted JLUR on 37s and pull a camper all over the US. My solution for the hitch problem was to put a real bumper with a reciever built into it.

I put on an ACE Engineering bumper that I think is just about impossible to hurt. I think the Jeep would cave in around it before you could hurt it. The camper I pull is set up high so it can be pulled off road, so I do not even use a drop hitch with it..

84admkyRuNe_Q113tx24zzpDyUAi_eRRMjGMnUnSWAO6ue7bTFcIlERNC9EgV0OsvHPBDVoyvXuEOmjy30=w1010-h757-no.jpg

Bnq-3MLaVSMe5wUa0Yn26dAn93xKn165orA7HPkPPOzMzQHQhZO5Lc272bHeghNhI1k1Jw8WII1r1Ii4Ik=w1218-h757-no.jpg
Curious about your specs? 2.0? 3.6? Auto? Gears? Thanks!

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

09749EB6-E3E6-493C-8AB2-5658FA35F487.jpeg
You using a weight distributor??

My Rubicon was sagging like crazy with a 2800lb popup. Was dry when towing. 290 tongue weight.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
The power wire is in the seven-pin plug with the Max Tow package, but as was mentioned you need a brake controller.

I use the Prodigy P3 brake controller. The company provided me with a Jeep compatible harness time test. It required a diode to prevent electrical feedback when you apply the brakes. I’m not sure they have put it on the market yet. Apparently the harness for the RAM truck has the diode, but two of the wires need to be switched (there are YouTube videos on the process.) This unit works great, but the controller itself is difficult to position in a good spot.

If I was doing it again, I would investigate the RedArc unit. There is a YouTube from a Jeeper who installed one.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I tow a nucamp tab 320 on 35’s w/no problem. Planning on lifting this summer, and glad to see most people do not have a problem. 1,800 dry weight, 160 tongue.

ED765D45-E8B5-416A-8278-E504561F80B7.jpeg
E8F1BA85-592D-486F-8BDB-071C0E624457.jpeg
AEDB8133-94A6-4497-95F5-4837BB2696B6.jpeg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Curious about your specs? 2.0? 3.6? Auto? Gears? Thanks!
It is a 3.6 with the 8 speed auto. I towed that set up from Michigan to Moab with the stock 4.10 gears Running between 62 and 68 mph, I averaged 14 mpg. Not bad...... The only time it struggled was climbing the pass that was just West of Denver. It worked the Jeep pretty good. It would hold 55 mph, but that was to the floor. I have towed this camper at speeds of 95 mph. I know, not a great idea, but I had to. I guy in diesel truck pulling a 4 seater SxS on an open car trailer with no side rails passed me going about 85 mph. As he passed, all of his tie down straps laying on the deck of the trailer. Not one strap was attached to the SxS. Like he loaded the dam thing and forgot to strap it down. Well, I thought I have to catch him and let him know. If that 4 seater SxS comes off the trailer it could easily kill people. So hammer down to catch him. I catch him, the wife gets him to roll down his window and she tells him that his SxS is not strapped down. He states he knows and keeps going. I back way off as I don't want a SxS on the hood of my Jeep.

I did re-gear to 5.13 gears. I also put on a throttle commander (A Hikeit X9) It pulled it good with the stock gears on 37s, Now it pulls it great.

Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
It is a 3.6 with the 8 speed auto. I towed that set up from Michigan to Moab with the stock 4.10 gears Running between 62 and 68 mph, I averaged 14 mpg. Not bad...... The only time it struggled was climbing the pass that was just West of Denver. It worked the Jeep pretty good. It would hold 55 mph, but that was to the floor. I have towed this camper at speeds of 95 mph. I know, not a great idea, but I had to. I guy in diesel truck pulling a 4 seater SxS on an open car trailer with no side rails passed me going about 85 mph. As he passed, all of his tie down straps laying on the deck of the trailer. Not one strap was attached to the SxS. Like he loaded the dam thing and forgot to strap it down. Well, I thought I have to catch him and let him know. If that 4 seater SxS comes off the trailer it could easily kill people. So hammer down to catch him. I catch him, the wife gets him to roll down his window and she tells him that his SxS is not strapped down. He states he knows and keeps going. I back way off as I don't want a SxS on the hood of my Jeep.

I did re-gear to 5.13 gears. I also put on a throttle commander (A Hikeit X9) It pulled it good with the stock gears on 37s, Now it pulls it great.
I’m towing a 3200lb camper to Moab from Chicago in July...... Sigh.

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ‘07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
DEB80850-211C-465A-A716-6D9DA8A9E33D.jpeg
Here’s my 2.0T 2 door towing a Hiker 5x8 camper. I’m running the Mopar 2” and 315 70 17 K02’s. Depending on the type of camping we’re destined for, the loaded camper weighs in at 1500 (+/-) with a tongue weight about 180lbs. I’ve been towing this setup with an FJ Cruiser with a 2.5” lift. The camper put close to 2” squat on the Rubi, which is almost identical to the FJ. So far, I’ve only towed the camper around town a bit and for a quick jaunt on the highway to calibrate the brake controller so I am hardly in a position yet to judge how it performs, but early indications are very positive. I’ll follow up once I’ve had time to get this rig out and stretch her legs.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

I have to respond to this foolery and blatent lack of respect for others on the road. This is not the 1st time you have shown poor judgement when towing whereas in that past you have posted having your wrangler as a TOAD however the Wrangler will exceeds the tow rating of your Motor home.

Now you are bragging about pulling a travel trailer at extremely high speeds. Those tires on travel trailers are in no way designed to handle even close those speeds and especially the pressure heat generated by those speeds. A blow out could easily result into t a deadly incident for you and others on the road. I am sorry but folks with extremely poor judgement like this have no business being on OUR roads...

What is wrong with people???

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
You forgot to mention that when I bought the motorhome, I was told that the tow capacity was 8,000 lbs, after finding out it was not, I never towed it that way again, and sold the motorhome. You act like I drove for 40 miles at a high rate of speed. It was about a mile to catch the idiot with the SxS not strapped down. Nothing in the post was about bragging. It was about the circumstances where I deemed it was warranted. Maybe your cool with a 4 seater SxS coming off a trailer at 85 mph and killing possibly killing others. I am not and did what was necessary and tried to warn the other driver.

And don't worry about being on the road with me. You are not the type of people I hang with anyways.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
You forgot to mention that when I bought the motorhome, I was told that the tow capacity was 8,000 lbs, after finding out it was not, I never towed it that way again, and sold the motorhome. You act like I drove for 40 miles at a high rate of speed. It was about a mile to catch the idiot with the SxS not strapped down. Nothing in the post was about bragging. It was about the circumstances where I deemed it was warranted. Maybe your cool with a 4 seater SxS coming off a trailer at 85 mph and killing possibly killing others. I am not and did what was necessary and tried to warn the other driver.

And don't worry about being on the road with me. You are not the type of people I hang with anyways.

Sorry but two wrongs do not make a right especially when others lives are at stake. You should have backed off and call State Patrol and had them intercept. Most RV trailer tires are now made in China and have very limited tolerances which also compounds the speed and heat issues often overlooked. Like You I sold my Class A due to the lack of legal ability to tow a Wrangler (and the 4.9 mpg I was getting) and moved to a 41' 17,000lb 5th Wheel where one mistake can be catastrophic which is why I have added tire pressure and heat monitors to my trailer tires (more to manage tire heat then pressure).
Sponsored