sky one touch, no doors/rear quarter windows off

Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I have not had the chance to drive with no doors/rear quarter windows off yet. My questions are, since we can't remove the rear window will this cause a drag effect? "thinking of sort of a parachute scenario" while driving on the highway? I don't think we can drive with the rear window open right? anyone experienced any issues?
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I have not had the chance to drive with no doors/rear quarter windows off yet. My questions are, since we can't remove the rear window will this cause a drag effect? "thinking of sort of a parachute scenario" while driving on the highway? I don't think we can drive with the rear window open right? anyone experienced any issues?
I have been driving the past month with the doors and windows off and the sky one touch open. There is a lot of drag on the freeway. I am in 6th or 7th gear most of the time. I don't think I would drive over an hour like this. Around town and short freeway trips are awesome.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Definitely drags, and simply looks ridiculous IMO.

OP
OP
Genedog

Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I have been driving the past month with the doors and windows off and the sky one touch open. There is a lot of drag on the freeway. I am in 6th or 7th gear most of the time. I don't think I would drive over an hour like this. Around town and short freeway trips are awesome.
thank you..

I am assuming that there would be some type of wind buffeting with the window closed. I have seen some hardtops driving around with the glass wide open in the back but that must cause stress on the window supports. I came across a picture online which i am not sure who posted it so i am not taking credit for it. but he used sort of a bungee cord which looks like it might put less stress on the supports.. might try this
IMG_20170531_162354434_HDR_1496274733679.jpg

Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
thank you..

I am assuming that there would be some type of wind buffeting with the window closed. I have seen some hardtops driving around with the glass wide open in the back but that must cause stress on the window supports. I came across a picture online which i am not sure who posted it so i am not taking credit for it. but he used sort of a bungee cord which looks like it might put less stress on the supports.. might try this
IMG_20170531_162354434_HDR_1496274733679.jpg
There is no wind buffeting with the back glass closed.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I don't have the sky roof so I can't comment, but I would caution to be VERY careful about using a bungee to hold open the window. If it happens to slide off and your window slams open at highway speeds you could have a much bigger problem to deal with. It might be secure, but that picture kind of freaks me out...

OP
OP
Genedog

Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I don't have the sky roof so I can't comment, but I would caution to be VERY careful about using a bungee to hold open the window. If it happens to slide off and your window slams open at highway speeds you could have a much bigger problem to deal with. It might be secure, but that picture kind of freaks me out...
Thank you.. I see your point and a window is something I dont want to replace

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I don't have a sky one touch but I honestly think it looks awesome in fully stripped down form. The hardtop upper frame definitely makes it look different than a full roof off setup but its cool in its own way.

As for the back window, I drive around all the time with mine up. My warm winter day setup has been freedom panels off + back window lifted. As far as I can tell there's no downsides, other than the slightly increased risk of a pebble or some other airborne road debris hitting the corner of the glass. Around town you should be totally fine.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Never noticed any buffeting or drag at all Do it all the time.
Would not chance running with the window open, very expensive and normally on backorder if it breaks.