Considering Moab trip

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
I am thinking of a road trip out to Moab, Utah. This would be my first trip there and would be my first possible 'group' run on any trails.

My question is - how likely/easily is it to tag along with a group on a trail run? Is there a good place to go to connect with other people hitting the trails that I could make advance arrangements?

Thank you.

Walter
Sponsored

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking of a road trip out to Moab, Utah. This would be my first trip there and would be my first possible 'group' run on any trails.

My question is - how likely/easily is it to tag along with a group on a trail run? Is there a good place to go to connect with other people hitting the trails that I could make advance arrangements?

Thank you.

Walter
Red Rock 4x4 does a monthly run that's on their website. There's so many Jeepers in town at any given time that if you just strike up a convo at the gas station or Diner, you'll be likely to meet people doing a run, especially on weekends.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
Yep, I've run into Jeepers at gas stations and at grocery stores in Moab. It's usually pretty easy to spot people headed out to the trails. I'm used to doing this for motorcycle, Jeep and Land Rover runs - depending on which vehicle I brought to Moab. We simply set up a meeting spot and do it.

Looking back, the only bad experience I've had down there was on a bike run on the way to the Navajo Nation across the border. I walked into a big bar on the West side of Moab wearing my usual biker road gear. Oddly, neither of the two bartenders would serve me, one of them muttering something bad about bikers. And, I wasn't dressed poorly. I had my police insignia visible along with my rank (Captain). So, I simply left.

Hunter

Last edited:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Thank you.

Walter
We are headed to Moab in May and have hired a guide for some of the BOH trails but you don't have to hire a guide if you find some other jeepers at your hotel and ask if you can tag along. Just don't go up to a seriously modified jeep and ask the driver if you can tag along if your driving stock, you may end up over your head. go to any of the outfitters or the tourist center and ask for the "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel-Drive trails" Guide book. This guide is excellent for showing you all the trails in the Moab area. It also explains what Mods you should have before you take on a trail. there are many trails out there that you don't need any MODS or Trail guides. Just go have fun. One simple but beautiful trail you will love is Long Canyon from canyonlands area to Hwy 128 at the river.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

Sponsored

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
Good point, Dookey. FB members can be very helpful.

Hunter

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
We are headed to Moab in May and have hired a guide for some of the BOH trails but you don't have to hire a guide if you find some other jeepers at your hotel and ask if you can tag along. Just don't go up to a seriously modified jeep and ask the driver if you can tag along if your driving stock, you may end up over your head. go to any of the outfitters or the tourist center and ask for the "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel-Drive trails" Guide book. This guide is excellent for showing you all the trails in the Moab area. It also explains what Mods you should have before you take on a trail. there are many trails out there that you don't need any MODS or Trail guides. Just go have fun. One simple but beautiful trail you will love is Long Canyon from canyonlands area to Hwy 128 at the river.
Thanks. Already have the book. :)

Buzze

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I also have the book mentioned above. It is my favorite of 3 I ordered from Amazon and I just put in a request to join that FB group.
Mid-July I am heading out there with my friend and her 16 year old daughter. We are all going out in my 2-door Rubi. That should be interesting. Not much cargo room with the back seat in.
We will be focusing on what the book calls "easy" trails since we have to get back in it and I just don't want to destroy it. Lol
I don't know that we will find anyone for sure to hang out with focusing on the simple stuff, but it would be nice if we do.
We just booked a really nice house this evening. I figure it will be a once in a lifetime thing since we live so far away and want to make it memorable!

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Your Rubi will do fine in Moab. But it'll be hot as Hades in July. Might keep crowds off the trails, though.

Enjoy!

Sponsored

Buzze

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Yes, warm for sure. But a dry heat, eh? That is the time-slot her daughter has for sports break so July it is!

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Who guiding you?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Yes, warm for sure. But a dry heat, eh? That is the time-slot her daughter has for sports break so July it is!

Having just been in a 2 door, you're gonna want a roof rack or something I would bet if you've got a backseat passenger. You and two girls on a long distance trip = not much space for bags, and you'll probably want to carry a cooler or something as well. If I were carrying passengers I'd probably pick up the cheap mopar roof rails and a basket for some of my stuff. I do wish someone will come out with a single compact seat for the back where you can carry three people and lots of cargo. That'd just about solve my cargo issues with my 2 door.

I was out there solo and hit Hell's Revenge and Fins my first day. I'm not sure they'll qualify as "easy" in the grand scheme of things but I saw plenty of stock Saharas and Sports out there having no issue, and I myself didn't have any points on either trail where I felt like I was taking much of a risk - but tons and tons of rewarding views and lots of fun driving on the fins. Poison Spider Mesa was the next day and while a little bit more challenging, the 2 door makes absolutely quick work out of the whole trail. Incredible views up there, if I had to do just one it'd probably be Poison Spider - failing that, Hell's Revenge. Both offer the the most variety of all the cool terrain types and views you'll see in Moab. Long Canyon was great too around sunset and rates as more of a scenic drive than a trail - just watch yourself on the big, boring straight dirt road out of the area at the end. I ended up catching some axle damage avoiding a speeding dirt biker who came over a crest in the middle at 80mph. Figures, did a bunch of serious wheeling and I got boned on a 5 mile long straight dirt road. The FB groups are invaluable for advice and grouping and if you're in an emergency situation call Rory Irish at Moab Motorsports. Dude has an insane recovery rig and is the most reputable shop in the area.

I'll be back and I plan on spending 5+ days next time, such an incredible place.
Jeep Wrangler JL Considering Moab trip IMG_3744

LtRoastABotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Grand Cherokee

Thank you.

Walter

LtRoastABotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I’m headed to Moab for the first time in early April. What I have heard is that it’s good to go on a group run where more experienced folks can advise you. I hope you go soon and have a blast!
Sponsored