Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
I've read that several on here are using weight distributing hitches. What brand? Any good or bad feedback on them? Any concern with using one on a class II hitch? Thanks.
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've read that several on here are using weight distributing hitches. What brand? Any good or bad feedback on them? Any concern with using one on a class II hitch? Thanks.
It depends a lot on how much weight you want/need to transfer from the rear axle to the front axle and trailer axle(s) if you should use a WD hitch.

I use an Eaz-Lift WD hitch. It has a separate anti-sway bar that can be used even if you don't use the WD bars. (My hitch as two anti-sway bars.) A properly set up WD hitch will level the rig and put some weight back onto the steering axle where it is needed to avoid understeer. I would recommend having a professional install the hitch, although it can be done DIY.

A WD hitch adds fore/aft torque to the receiver. This is the weak point of the Jeep stock receiver. I have had my hitch receiver strengthened to allow the WD aspect of the hitch to work without twisting the stock receiver. On my JK the hitch shop bent the strengthening steel tubing around the muffler, but in my JL I used a muffler delete from Magnaflow to provide more clearance from the ground. Either way works fine.

JL Hitch 2.jpg

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
My opinion- so take it for what it's worth- is that if you are using a WD hitch on a Wrangler, you are probably over loading the Wrangler. But I fully admit I had a bad experience (wreck) with a WD setup, and at the time I didn't understand how all of the numbers and ratings related to each other.

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
As far as brands go, I've heard overwhelming praise for Hensley Arrow, ProPride, and Blue Ox. The first two are used for sway prevention as well, and are used on a lot of larger travel trailers. They work with smaller trailers too. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for IMHO.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
My opinion- so take it for what it's worth- is that if you are using a WD hitch on a Wrangler, you are probably over loading the Wrangler. But I fully admit I had a bad experience (wreck) with a WD setup, and at the time I didn't understand how all of the numbers and ratings related to each other.
Thank you. Your opinion is appreciated. I don't entirely disagree with you. I find hitch and weight ratings to be kind of obscure. I'm not an engineer so I probably don't know what I'm talking about though. Can I ask about your wreck with a WD setup? Was there a towing capacity threshold you were exceeding, knowingly or unknowingly?

Sponsored

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
I will try to keep it relatively short- I had a 2000 F350 diesel dually, and a 2009 Forest River Shockwave Toyhauler (34' triple axle pull behind) I had originally figured a diesel dually would haul any RV. Turns out that's not accurate. GCWR, max trailer weight, Tongue (or kingpin) weight, payload, tire weight ratings, and more all interconnect to give you a big picture.

I know for a fact (afterwards) that the dually wasn't rated to tow the trailer, and then I also ran into minor issues that contributed to the wreck. The final result was that because the WD hitch was hooked up, I flipped both the truck and trailer on their sides. Without the WD hitch, the truck PROBABLY would have broken free and not flipped.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Follow up...

I purchased a trailer last weekend. Trailer weighs around 2600-2700 pounds based on a truck scale. I still need to find out my rear axle weight because I couldn't fit each axle on its own scale. Need to re-weigh and do some math but I'm well withing the GVWR for jeep and trailer at the moment with about 1000# of additional capacity (mostly in the trailer itself).

I purchased a weight distribution hitch from the dealer. We hooked it up without and my rear lowered 3/4" and the front went up 3/4". Installed the hitch and rear dropped 1/2" and the front went up 1/4", so better. I'd like to get a little more weight off the rear axle so its more evenly distributed in thirds to each axle. Currently I'm about 30/40/30, which leaves no capacity to load anything in the jeep itself if I was to follow GVWR.

I purchased an Equal-i-zer brand hitch. It was the 6000# model hitch. That was the smallest one they stock, however, equalizer makes a 4000# model. Does anyone know if the more applicable hitch would better distribute the weight? Someone suggested to me that if there is not enough weight on the distribution hitch, it isn't as effective as it could be. Curious if anyone has any experience in that area.

Thanks.

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Check your ball mounting angle. The Equal-i-zer hitch really isn't adjustable for weight transfer. The ball angle is really the only thing you can adjust. If still not enough weight transfer, look at the Eaz-Lift with the older chain style bars. I believe the older style is still the best for weight transfer.
Sponsored