OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yes this can be done and is the much more common situation when using after-market wheels (vs OEM). I would recommend getting a spacer for this situation. Personally I would only use hub-centric wheels but there's lots and lots of people that have gone the lug-centric route and are happy. Here's a very high-level overview from reseller Quadratec:
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/difference-between-hub-centric-and-lug-centric-wheels
@Karl_in_Chicago , thanks for that link, very good description of what this entire thread is about.
I'll paste that link in the main post :)
Sponsored

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, is this a list of only what's been found to be hubcentric from wheels that have been bought and installed with the possibility of more hubcentric options being out there, or is this a list of the only hubcentric options available to us?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curious, is this a list of only what's been found to be hubcentric from wheels that have been bought and installed with the possibility of more hubcentric options being out there, or is this a list of the only hubcentric options available to us?
It's a work in progress, as more are "discovered" I try to update the first posting.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It's a work in progress, as more are "discovered" I try to update the first posting.
Understood. I was thinking these were the only hubcentric wheels available to us and got to thinking that there had to be more options available out there. I'll do some homework and look at options that may be "undiscovered".

Sponsored

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
This thread has been extremely helpful and I think I found my new set of wheels because of it. Can someone more knowledgeable than ,me tell me which of these specs is what I’m looking for? I want them flush/sticking out an inch or two but not with half the tire hanging out of the fender. I’ll be putting 37x12.5 on them and a mopar lift if that makes a difference

SIZEBPBP 2PART NUMBERFINISHBOREOFFSETBSM (IN)CAP NUMRATING (LB)WEIGHT (LB)LUG TYPELIPSIZE (IN)
17X95X127D73517907545MATTE BRONZE71.50-124.5301003-47ZDB250030CONICAL0
17X95X127D73517907550MATTE BRONZE71.5015.0401003-47ZDB250030CONICAL0

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This thread has been extremely helpful and I think I found my new set of wheels because of it. Can someone more knowledgeable than ,me tell me which of these specs is what I’m looking for? I want them flush/sticking out an inch or two but not with half the tire hanging out of the fender. I’ll be putting 37x12.5 on them and a mopar lift if that makes a difference

SIZEBPBP 2PART NUMBERFINISHBOREOFFSETBSM (IN)CAP NUMRATING (LB)WEIGHT (LB)LUG TYPELIPSIZE (IN)
For that 37" tall tire you'll want the -12. I assume you have a Rubicon, so you could get by w/ the +1 offset to get closer to the fender, but under full suspension flex you'll want that extra room that the -12 provides. They will poke out about a 1/2" more than the +1 offset.

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
For that 37" tall tire you'll want the -12. I assume you have a Rubicon, so you could get by w/ the +1 offset to get closer to the fender, but under full suspension flex you'll want that extra room that the -12 provides. They will poke out about a 1/2" more than the +1 offset.
Yes rubicon. Thank you!

Reconatrek

First Name
Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon

Curious to see how this setup looks. Can you share a pic when said and done?

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
This is an interesting comment you made regarding the offset. I have a Rubicon and will be installing the 3.5" Maximus-3 Geolift. I have been looking for wheels, and using the offset calculator to determine the proper wheels to get for 37" BFG A/T tires. My goal was to keep the inner position as close to factory as possible, which according to the website +27mm would yield almost exact inner sidewall position as the factory setup.

I have NO (as in zero) experience with this, so I was using the factory spec as the determining factor. I decided that anything from 0 to +12 was an acceptable range, and have been looking for wheels in that range.

Based on your comment above regarding the extra room -12 provides, I am confused as to what I am missing. I do see that it moves the inner sidewall out 1.55" farther, but I was under the impression that was wasted space, and making me look like a skateboard.

Will the 1.5" inside space be used under max flex?

I appreciate the help, as I prefer to do it right the first time.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
My goal was to keep the inner position as close to factory as possible
I would recommend navigating to AEV’s website. While you may or may not like their wheel offerings, use their specs for the wheels as a good blueprint when trying to match a wheel that’s as close to factory as possible on 37’s.

AEV specifically engineered their wheels for the Rubicon to function like stock, specifically accounting for the wider axles that come standard on the Rubi.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is an interesting comment you made regarding the offset. I have a Rubicon and will be installing the 3.5" Maximus-3 Geolift. I have been looking for wheels, and using the offset calculator to determine the proper wheels to get for 37" BFG A/T tires. My goal was to keep the inner position as close to factory as possible, which according to the website +27mm would yield almost exact inner sidewall position as the factory setup.

I have NO (as in zero) experience with this, so I was using the factory spec as the determining factor. I decided that anything from 0 to +12 was an acceptable range, and have been looking for wheels in that range.

Based on your comment above regarding the extra room -12 provides, I am confused as to what I am missing. I do see that it moves the inner sidewall out 1.55" farther, but I was under the impression that was wasted space, and making me look like a skateboard.

Will the 1.5" inside space be used under max flex?

I appreciate the help, as I prefer to do it right the first time.
Think of your suspension as a big arc, as you go taller w/ your lift you are increasing that arc, and a 3.5" lift is quite a bit. The further your wheels are out from your suspension the further away they'll be when you "complete" that arc. If your wheels are too far to the inside contact is inevitable.

For a stock Rubicon running 32.5" tall tires you don't have near the space that those 37s will occupy, so running wheels closer to the inside is fine most of the time. Those 37s will be much closer once that suspension starts working so you want your wheels/tires away from the suspension to allow for that extra arc travel.

Also keep in mind those tall 37s will be much closer to the inner front suspension when you turn full lock.

Ideally you want the offset to allow full suspension travel, full turning lock to lock, and keep your tires within a reasonable space outside the fender (not poking like a skateboard).
Northridge 4x4 might be a good shop to contact regarding the offset range to accomplish all those aspects.

I would say you will probably have to go a fair amount negative (around a -12 to -18) to accomplish all of that but ???

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@blnewt Thank you for the response and detailed information. I am heading over to AEV site that @Notorious recommended and then will contact the guys @Northridge4x4 to see what they suggest. I would prefer to get a tire & wheel package so that I don't have to crate them around to get installed.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would recommend navigating to AEV’s website. While you may or may not like their wheel offerings, use their specs for the wheels as a good blueprint when trying to match a wheel that’s as close to factory as possible on 37’s.

AEV specifically engineered their wheels for the Rubicon to function like stock, specifically accounting for the wider axles that come standard on the Rubi.
I just looked at a few of the AEV wheels, and they are +25mm offset, which seems to contradict the logic of going to a negative offset, and is almost exactly the same inner position as a stock rubicon.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/pintler-jeep-jl-wheel/
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-borah/
Sponsored