Cool Tech's CB Antenna Kit for JL Wrangler - Available Now

laf

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do you provide shipping to the UK for this? Can’t find anything local here so it would be great if you could.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi Neil,

Give me an address and I'll get you a shipping quote. It would be less expensive to ship if we sell without an antenna. (We discount the product side $10 to exclude the antenna.) Let me know.

laf

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi Neil,

Give me an address and I'll get you a shipping quote. It would be less expensive to ship if we sell without an antenna. (We discount the product side $10 to exclude the antenna.) Let me know.
Pm sent :)

laf

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
And arrived and fitted. Is this a concern though. Seems to fowl the 35” tyre.

5D78C00C-DDAA-4E67-9AE2-12190124BE43.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yes, there are hundreds of rims and tire choices out there for the Jeep enabling thousands of combinations. In this case, I would recommend a spacer on the spare which will provide the room. I'd bet that the wheel/tire combo is North of Jeep's max tailgate weight advisory, so you may want to consider the tailgate reinforcement kit.

laf

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, there are hundreds of rims and tire choices out there for the Jeep enabling thousands of combinations. In this case, I would recommend a spacer on the spare which will provide the room. I'd bet that the wheel/tire combo is North of Jeep's max tailgate weight advisory, so you may want to consider the tailgate reinforcement kit.
Thanks for the reply. Spacers as in standard hub spacers?

I guess I could just flip the bracket upside down for now.

the company that did the build said the standard tailgate should cope with rubicon wheels and 35”. Is that not the experience others have seen?

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yes, standard hub spacers would work (see Amazon or Ebay). If I'm not mistaken, Jeep advises no more that 85lbs hanging off the tailgate. You are probably OK with mostly city driving but with a CB antenna, you probably have intentions to off-road and those conditions can be harder on the tailgate. That said, I'm sure a lot of owners will chime in to say that they've had no issues.

Reactions: laf

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Received my @CoolTech NMO mount, and like Laf, ran into an issue with tire fitment. It will not fit the factory wheel with a 35'BFG. I'll probably just flip the mount, and it should work fine, you just won't see the logo. Other than that, it looks like a nice mount. Hopefully I'll have time this week to get it mounted, and the antenna installed.

Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
So here is the @CoolTech Wrangler JL HAM/GMRS Antenna Bracket, flipped upside-down, and installed. As you can see, with the factory wheels, and 35"BFG's, it's close, but it fits. It would not have fit in the designed position.

The mount itself, is very nice.

Bill

IMG_3905.jpg

LaunchMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Dr.
Question for anyone who has installed this setup: I need to clear 7' (door and parking structure) daily. After measuring, it appears that I could use this setup with a 3' antenna and be at 6'8" or use a 4' antenna and put it on the bottom bracket for the spare tire carrier (instead of the upper bracket it is intended for as one of the members here did) which would put it at 6'10."
I was inclined to go with the 3' antenna as it seems like minimal gain in height and a slightly odd look with the 4' on the bottom bracket but see that one person had trouble with a signal using the 3' antenna. I will only be using this for trail rides with others and occasional conversations while traveling in a group with people on the highway likely within a quarter mile. My jeep is a soft top if that impacts anything.
So my questions I guess are: 1) Will a 3' antenna be useful enough for what I intend to do? 2) Would a 4' antenna on the lower bracket with the additional 2" of hight make any kind of significant improvement? 3) Should I just use a quick connect or magnetic antenna and only put it on when I specifically intend to use it (which is my least favorite option as I would likely forget it, lose it or break it but could go this route if the other options aren't going to be very functional)?
Thanks for any insights.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 3ft with a quick disconnect (for when I have to go in lower garages). On trail rides people here me fine, and I guess I'm hearing them to (not sure if I miss anything).

20200227_205239.jpg

LaunchMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Dr.
Another option you may not have considered... You could use the 3ft and add a spring mount which gives you about 3 inches. By my maths that would put you at 6'11 on the top mount. so you would probably just get in your garage, and if it hits, well... it's on a spring. It also gets more of the antenna above your Jeep.
That's a really good idea. I had not thought of that. Thank you!

Last edited:

LaunchMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Dr.
I have a 3ft with a quick disconnect (for when I have to go in lower garages). On trail rides people here me fine, and I guess I'm hearing them to (not sure if I miss anything).

20200227_205239.jpg

Thank you Bryce. Appreciate the insights from your experience.
Sponsored