Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Good people, please see attached photos. In the bottom of the doors, on the inside, below the door seal, are two oblong holes at each end of the door. They are covered with tape. One pic is with tape, the other without.

What is the purpose of these holes, and why are they covered with tape? Thanks.

D3365DD8-B9D6-44E1-A8AE-61294301871A.jpeg

32B39B2B-9DE3-4A45-8B79-A6D2652BCFCC.jpeg
Sponsored

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
All car doors have holes in the bottom of them so rain water can drain out. The window seals are far from perfect. I had a tacoma with big gaps and when you opened the door the angle would change and it would piss out a bunch of water on a rainy day. I’m not sure why they are taped over though. Did you buy it used and maybe the previous owner didnt know what they were so they taped over them? Maybe bad dealer prep? I will have to check my doors tomorrow to see if the are taped (my jeep only has 500 milds on it so I am constantly finding something new)

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
^Mine also has those, and I’m not sure why. They are an eyesore, so I want to remove them for detailing purposes, but I haven’t yet in case they serve a function.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good people, please see attached photos. In the bottom of the doors, on the inside, below the door seal, are two oblong holes at each end of the door. They are covered with tape. One pic is with tape, the other without.

What is the purpose of these holes, and why are they covered with tape? Thanks.

D3365DD8-B9D6-44E1-A8AE-61294301871A.jpeg

32B39B2B-9DE3-4A45-8B79-A6D2652BCFCC.jpeg
Hey Mr. Steve, I think you might be more worried about why the underside of your door is so dirty! :like: :angel: I have 3 square holes (Size of a dime) spaced across my doors. They are for water to drain. :rain: Hey did you get that old Barn fixed to keep your Jeep in yet ??? :jk:

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
They are called weeping holes, as others said, they are to allow water and condensation to drain out.

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
But why are some taped over? This would trash your door over time because its just going to fill up and mess with hardware and cause rust.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
^Right. What purpose is served by the tape?

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
After searching to refresh my memory, I can note that this subject has been discussed a few times previously:

The consensus seems to be to provide a large enough opening for water to drain but small enough to prevent debris/mud/creepy-crawly things from getting in.

Punched plastic tape with adhesive isn't "forever," so it's probably non-critical to keep or remove for many of us.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I removed my tape, about a year ago, for the simple reason of "If it was critical, it would be a more permanent solution, not tape" The tape was half coming off anyway... looks soo much better with it off :)
Sponsored