Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
What kind? The light? Its a rigid flood
I called the owner last week and asked if he could configure it with a Baja Squadron light and he said yes. Hopefully it’ll be up soon. I like this solution.
Sponsored

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU MOAB, '13 Nissan 370Z Roadster
I called the owner last week and asked if he could configure it with a Baja Squadron light and he said yes. Hopefully it’ll be up soon. I like this solution.
I assumed you think the Baja Squadron light is better than the Rigid flood light. Would you please explain why. Thx.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I assumed you think the Baja Squadron light is better than the Rigid flood light. Would you please explain why. Thx.
I can’t say that it’s actually “better” because I haven’t owned both to be able to compare them. But I just picked up a pair of Baja squadrons for the front and I’d rather keep it the same all around. Call it a preference. The Baja does produce more light for what that’s worth.

JLmartacus

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty happy with how my setup turned out. I wanted a solution that was out of the way and fit to the contours. Got these lights for around $20 on Amazon. Have them wired to the reverse lights. Will be wiring to an Aux switch as well.

20200228_121106.jpg
20200228_104842.jpg
20200122_064549.jpg

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
I have been following this thread and want to make a slightly different configuration but am not entirely sure how to go about it. First, correct me if I am wrong, I am making the assumption that when you put the vehicle in reverse the power to drive the additional light is being drawn over the reverse light wire (white with orange stripe). When you use an aux switch to turn on the light the power is being drawn over the secondary cable run through the frame rails. This means you need to be careful to not overload the reverse light wire with too much lighting.

What I want to do is add a “second” light to the mix which I believe will require an additional relay in the same area that the diodes are located. It is that relay that I am not sure how to wire into the mix.

In my example we will work with two lights, “B” for hooked up to backup lights and “A” for hooked up to aux. What I want is B to come on when the vehicle is in reverse and A&B to come on when I push the aux switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I have been following this thread and want to make a slightly different configuration but am not entirely sure how to go about it. First, correct me if I am wrong, I am making the assumption that when you put the vehicle in reverse the power to drive the additional light is being drawn over the reverse light wire (white with orange stripe). When you use an aux switch to turn on the light the power is being drawn over the secondary cable run through the frame rails. This means you need to be careful to not overload the reverse light wire with too much lighting.

What I want to do is add a “second” light to the mix which I believe will require an additional relay in the same area that the diodes are located. It is that relay that I am not sure how to wire into the mix.

In my example we will work with two lights, “B” for hooked up to backup lights and “A” for hooked up to aux. What I want is B to come on when the vehicle is in reverse and A&B to come on when I push the aux switch.

Any help would be appreciated.
There are a few people who have already done exactly this. There is a schematic on an earlier page. I did this, but the lights I added required more amperage than a reverse light tap could provide. So, my reverse light tap is wired to a relay which connects my lights directly to the battery.

vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well add me to the club. Steel bumper and no tow package. Added the $18 etrailer LEDs. Went ahead and wired them up while I was wiring the 4 pole aftermarket dongle. I tapped into the aftermarket bundle between the OEM male and female taillight connections. Didn’t remove the bumper either, just drilled a hole large enough to allow the wire to slide through. Used the strongest double sided tape amazon sold to attach. They’ve made it through a direct power washing without budging.

DDDD8F69-1028-4081-9708-87D54820852D.jpeg

D3190F5F-2653-4652-8C15-B81E42BC9079.jpeg

1C3EDC41-6E54-42D8-866A-E6F3E02C8C80.jpeg

BCCF71D2-8EAB-4FF8-9011-854EA1D8A62A.jpeg

Du0377

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Medical Student
I can finally see when I back up! This is actually wired to my aux switch so I can potentially use it aside from when I am reversing.

The light is the zroadz rear bumper mounted 10" LED

RearLight02.jpg
RearLight03.jpg
RearLight04.jpg
RearLight07.jpg
I just purchased this light. I want it to come on when I put my jeep in reverse but was also thinking it would be useful to install a switch in the rear cabin. Is it possible to do both?

Du0377

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Student
@plex

Glad to see you got-er-done and you did a nice job of it.

I do think you are missing the boat so to speak, though... It really is very easy, not expensive and you will see no issues, if just wire in the Rigids to the b/u wire, also. To each his own though... I do encourage others that do this install to incorporate both an Aux and the b/u wire in their Rigid install.

The JL is really really lacking in regard to stock backup lighting... so much nicer to just have the Rigid's come on automatically when you put the JL in reverse.

@plex .........Now, just paint that friggin muffler and tailpipe black! Very easy to do with black Rustoleum. Does not need to be high temp paint, either. 8-)

rigid-lites.jpg
I just purchased the zroadz Z384931-KIT. I was going to tap into the reverse wire and just use it as a reverse light that automatically comes on when I put my Jeep in reverse. I am now thinking I would also like to install a switch in the rear cargo area. I am an extreme novice when it comes to wiring. My question is, is there a way to accomplish both of what I want. A switch and auto reverse lights?

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
... My question is, is there a way to accomplish both of what I want. A switch and auto reverse lights?
Technically you should be able to. I'm not an electrification, but it should be doable if you have two power sources (aux and auto) wired to the same lamp. Although I don't know how that affects the system when one source powers the light. Will that then feed the other source and create issues? Is there something like a back-flow valve for electric? Sounds doable, but it may be a nightmare to wire. Probably not someone who is a self proclaimed "extreme novice" should try. I've done a little electric and I don't think I'd give it a go.

Du0377

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Student

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
So this is what I bought...

https://zroadz.com/i-23910093-2018-...single-row-slim-light-bar-pn-z384931-kit.html

wondering if I need to buy this harness as well, or if everything I need is in the kit above.

https://zroadz.com/i-23910190-universal-dt-series-wiring-harness-pn-z390020s-a.html
Before you spend any money, I suggest you spend time reading through this thread. There are several posts explaining how to do exactly what you're wanting to do. Yes, it can be done. I have mine wired that way. All you need is is a diode and wiring (in addition to the lights, of course)!

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I just purchased this light. I want it to come on when I put my jeep in reverse but was also thinking it would be useful to install a switch in the rear cabin. Is it possible to do both?
Yes, many of us have dual wired our extra back up lights. There are a number of diagrams of how to go about doing so as jimmyzwheelz mentioned. That's what I based mine on. I will mention, if your lights have a high draw (lots of lumens) you may need a relay like I did. My line tapped into the reverse light feeds the coil of a relay, which has the contacts making the connection from the battery to the lights. I have a fuse on the feed to those contacts and a relay on the other side so no backfeed when using my auxillary switch circuit.

Soulpatch

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon unlimited
Diode question.

I see many are running 2 diodes when powering from aux and trailer harness to prevent backfeed. Am I not thinking of something to instead use a single diode that has 2 inputs.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...8pQUXLbLuBRIi6HkhwJyzwpwMBSYF7ZQaAh9jEALw_wcB

Thinking to have Aux and input from 7 pin harness be my inputs and out to the light. I don't believe the 2 lines shared as IN can send power to one another so should save me from turning on aux and feeding into reverse light.

Or am I missing something?

Ordering parts for my install so set me straight if needed everyone. Thanks
Sponsored