Noise, rattle when cold

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl
Hi team, I have noticed that my 2.0 is quite noisy making rattling sounds when cold almost like a cold diesel engine. Is this piston slap or direct injection pump sounds or do I have a problem. Once up to temp the sound goes away
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dalma

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone else noticed this?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Yep. They're a bit noisy. My Ranger is the same way. The injectors are loud in these 4 bangers.

OP
OP
Dalma

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With mine it is much quiter once she comes up to temp.

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Turbo Unlimited Altitude Sport, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sport, 2001 Audi TT 225 Roadster, 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Occupation
Jeep Sales
I've noticed less chatter when running 93 octane. It really helps when it's very cold out.

Sponsored

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
Even with 93 mine itā€™s still loud when cold. The motor overall is pretty loud, but sheā€™s got some pep.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Mine is pretty noisy at start up much more so when cold, it quiets down a bit once warm. It does have a "tick" when idling though regardless of what octane I put in it so I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @Dalma, @OnlyOne, @F2F, @Impy5,

We understand why this may be concerning. In the event that you visit your dealer to have this looked into, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN. We are happy to provide assistance while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hi team, I have noticed that my 2.0 is quite noisy making rattling sounds when cold almost like a cold diesel engine. Is this piston slap or direct injection pump sounds or do I have a problem. Once up to temp the sound goes away
I noticed the same noises to be honest. I have a thread where i linked videos of other noises.

From what i gather(and what the dealer told me) is that itā€™s completely normal.

Mine when cold sometimes makes a diesel like clatter and goes away with any load on the engine, or on a cold start it sounds like piston slap once in a while.

Sponsored

JLTurbo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Hi @Dalma, @OnlyOne, @F2F, @Impy5,

We understand why this may be concerning. In the event that you visit your dealer to have this looked into, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN. We are happy to provide assistance while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

My 2.0L ETorque is stuttering at startup. The RPM bounces around (+/- 50-100 RPM) on a cold start and almost sounds like it could stall if it got worse. I don't recall this being normal. Does anyone have similar experience or insight?

OP
OP
Dalma

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously with the Covid issues afoot right now other issues are a higher priority so I don't want to try to get her into a dealership right now but I'm beginning to think that it may actually be a small exhaust that tightens up when she comes up to temp.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JLTurbo,

If do decide to take your vehicle in, please feel free to connect with us through PMs to have a case escalated for you.

@Dalma,

We understand your hesitations of not taking your vehicle in right now, but if you visit your dealer for this in the future, please let us know.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored