Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Just for everyone's info:
  • Proper formula for parallel is (Speaker 1 Ohms x Speaker 2 Ohms) / (Speaker 1 Ohms + Speaker 2 Ohms)
  • For serial you just sum the impedance of all speakers pet the channel
  • Actually the formula for parallel resistive loads in a simple circuit is: 1/RT=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...
  • Also, when dealing with multiple loads in a complicated circuit like the ones you are talking about which incorporate capacitors and inductors (ie. crossovers and filters), it is not as simple as calculating the impedance of the driver. You must now also account for the capacitors and coils.
  • Furthermore, in the case of the premium system with the alpine amp, the amplifier has dedicated channels for each of the eight speakers plus the subwoofer. There is no need to hook anything up in series or parallel or do any of these calculations.
Sponsored

Robbnva

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Ok dumb question. If I’m upgrading my system a little at a time. Start with speakers or amp?

I've replaced the upper dash. Want to get the lower dash pods and sound bar pods next.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Ok dumb question. If I’m upgrading my system a little at a time. Start with speakers or amp?

I've replaced the upper dash. Want to get the lower dash pods and sound bar pods next.
Especially since this was answered in this thread about a page back.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL

Sponsored

Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
It sounds like the stereo went into protect mode. Its also possible the channels are fried. I would not recommend running 3-ohm speakers on any OEM system that expects to see a 4-ohm load. It is my understanding (I have yet to tear into mine) but the stock system speakers are in parallel. So front right dash and front right knee stocks are 4-ohm and that the radio is seeing it as an 2-ohm load. Your radio is currently seeing a 1.5-ohm.

You can try reinstalling the stock speakers in the dash and testing but you are better off getting an aftermarket amp if you plan on using all 3-ohm.

Last edited:

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Thank you, the speakers I used are Crutchfield recommended speakers as replacement for my stock speakers, that is why I decided to change them with those. Now I drove without dash speakers for a week, then I installed the speakers and like I said after an hour one went mute then the other one, but after I shut down the vehicle and was off for several hours at work, then when I started the car they started playing normally, I haven't played them for more than 10 minutes yet, but later on I will have an hour and a half drive so that will be the test.

Maybe what happened is that since there was nothing there for a week and then I installed the speakers it did go into protect mode and when I shut down the car and started it again it re-set the system, I will know later today with the long drive and post here what happened.

Again thank you for your input.

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I wasn’t happy with my stereo sound. So I replaced my 3.5” speakers in dash and sound bar. First I went with
Kicker 44KSC3504 they sounded worse... like shit with popping and cutting out. Then I replaced with the Dodge Dart speakers. Same result. I put the stock speakers back in and what a better sound with more bass. I’m confused.
both sets of new speakers I tried canceled out 4” speakers. The new upgraded speakers were 4ohm

now I’m back to stock with cheap sound.
Stock 2020 Rubicon non alpine system

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Thank you, the speakers I used are Crutchfield recommended speakers as replacement for my stock speakers, that is why I decided to change them with those. Now I drove without dash speakers for a week, then I installed the speakers and like I said after an hour one went mute then the other one, but after I shut down the vehicle and was off for several hours at work, then when I started the car they started playing normally, I haven't played them for more than 10 minutes yet, but later on I will have an hour and a half drive so that will be the test.

Maybe what happened is that since there was nothing there for a week and then I installed the speakers it did go into protect mode and when I shut down the car and started it again it re-set the system, I will know later today with the long drive and post here what happened.

Again thank you for your input.
I am by no means a expert on this subject. But I have been reading up on the subject quite a bit recently, and I fear that @Asylum is correct. The lower resistance is very difficult for the stock amplifier in your radio. It may have been the longer run time allowed it to build up enough heat that it shut down. I hope that you can get it fixed, I have been looking at JBL GX speakers too, they have a nice sound.

Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
I wasn’t happy with my stereo sound. So I replaced my 3.5” speakers in dash and sound bar. First I went with
Kicker 44KSC3504 they sounded worse... like shit with popping and cutting out. Then I replaced with the Dodge Dart speakers. Same result. I put the stock speakers back in and what a better sound with more bass. I’m confused.
both sets of new speakers I tried canceled out 4” speakers. The new upgraded speakers were 4ohm

now I’m back to stock with cheap sound.
Stock 2020 Rubicon non alpine system
How did you make the connections for the dash and soundbar speakers?

Sponsored

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Kicker came with manta connectors. Dodge speakers were plug and play. Receiver got super hot too.(side note)

Last edited:

Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
The stock speakers are not wired in series.
You are correct, thanks for pointing that out. I just looked up the diagram to verify. I will edit my post to be correct as I don't want to confuse others who may read it.

cm88_bruins

First Name
Ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Anyone have any idea why when I have the volume at zero there is white noise / fuzz coming thru the speakers?

I have the PSS-23WRA.

Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
Anyone have any idea why when I have the volume at zero there is white noise / fuzz coming thru the speakers?

I have the PSS-23WRA.
Check the ground with a multi-meter, make sure its a good ground. Other than that, I would turn down the gain on the amplifier.
Sponsored