Sponsored

Not the snow vehicle I expected

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
We have two jeeps . Mine has selec-trac and lsd, my wife's has neither. Our previous vehicles were a 2018 Audi Allroad and a 2017 Subaru Outback 6 cyl. Both of our previous wagons are better snow vehicles than the jeeps. The only thing the jeep has over the Subie and Audi is clearance. Driving on a snowy road in a Jeep is nowhere near as secure as in the aforementioned cars. What can I say , thats the way it is.
Do you notice much difference in the snow between the one with select-trac + lsd vs the one without? Awesome garage, BTW!
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I don't get it? Some saying their jeep is sliding around corners in the rain, and now it sucks in the snow.

I've Been driving 2Dr wranglers with MT tires in Maine winters since 1989. I've never slid around a corner in rain, never use 4WD in the rain, and never had a problem or been hesitant to have to drive in a storm.

1st jeep open diffs, 2nd jeep LSD in rear, 3rd Jeep open diffs/BDL wth 12" wide MT tires at 30 psi.
Put it in 4H and turn off TC before attempting to plow thru a pile of snow. Don't lock the rear if you want to turn.
BLD will work fine and keep both tires churning and not cut power.
It's strange. I live in Tennessee and by stereotype I should not even attempt to drive in the snow. But I've also spent lots of time working and driving in Detroit, Milwaukee, Massachusetts, etc in the winter time. I've never had any 4wd SUV that couldn't handle snow easily... Grand Wagoneer, XJs, TJs, Suburbans, JKUR, Toyota truck, Toyota 4Runner Trail (with all the traction modes, it was the best in snow), and and now the JLUR. Even most of my cars could be driven in the snow safely. I had a '77 Trans-Am that was great in the snow (fun, yet very surefooted) and got me to work several times with up to 14" on the ground and however much was packed on the roads. The only car that surprised me how bad it was in the snow was my '88 Mustang GT. It was terrible. As for rain, the XJs with AT tires did get a bit tail happy but I just learned that and paid attention.

Even this rental got me to work once I cleaned all the snow off. It struggled a bit over the plow piles and handled unplowed and packed snow very well on those Massachusetts back roads. Not worried about the JLUR at all.

IMG_2728.jpeg

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Do you notice much difference in the snow between the one with select-trac + lsd vs the one without? Awesome garage, BTW!
Well the selec trac is a more natural snow vehicle . The other , you have to be careful not to drive too fast when its in 4H. I wish they both were selec trac. When its snowy , you put it in 4h and forget it. The other system , seems primitive and outdated for what we need them for. ( still competent in snow , though ) Quite frankly , I would love the jeeps to have and independent front suspension and selec trac . I take my jeep in the woods and on trails during the summer, but rock crawling is not on my list.
Tks for the compliment . They look freakin great together ! lol Definitely love them both

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Well the selec trac is a more natural snow vehicle . The other , you have to be careful not to drive too fast when its in 4H. I wish they both were selec trac. When its snowy , you put it in 4h and forget it. The other system , seems primitive and outdated for what we need them for. ( still competent in snow , though ) Quite frankly , I would love the jeeps to have and independent front suspension and selec trac . I take my jeep in the woods and on trails during the summer, but rock crawling is not on my list.
Tks for the compliment . They look freakin great together ! lol Definitely love them both
What do you mean by you have to be careful not to drive to fast when in 4H? Apologize for ignorance, getting my non selec-trac wrangler soon and want to be prepared for snow driving

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
What do you mean by you have to be careful not to drive to fast when in 4H? Apologize for ignorance, getting my non selec-trac wrangler soon and want to be prepared for snow driving
When youre in 4h , you should keep it under 50 mph. I dont know why , but if youre driving snow covered roads you wont be doing 50 anyway. Right ?

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Jesus Christ 285 wide. No wonder you're doing so bad in the snow.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at the east of Maine in New Brunswick and my 2D JL has been great in snow....I find her solid on snow covered roads and I have an incline with my driveway (which is about 300 feet) and I've yet to come across any issues. :like:
20191231_174615.jpg
20191231_174931.jpg

20191226_150418.jpg

Most of the time I keep her in 2WD....I even have a hard time getting her to fishtail (cause I wanna have fun too!) :LOL:

20191230_145414.jpg

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
What part of New England are you located in? We just had our first big snow storm here in Maine and my two door Rubicon was a beast. A little more slick then I expected with the stock KO2’s in 2WD but in 4WD it would be hard stopping it and I’m imaging a two door would be more difficult. Upload a picture!
I had KO2's on my old Liberty Renegade and they were not good in snow. The rubber compound is too hard. The tread is great so they were OK on dry snow, but on slush or hardpack/ice they were terrible. With those tires, the short wheelbase of that Liberty, and a limited slip rear diff, if I didn't have it in 4H when things got slippery I was going for a ride, and not in the intended direction!

My '18 JLU is so much better in snow. Even the stock Bridgestones that look so wimpy are surprisingly good in snow. Whenever I replace them I'm going to have to do my homework regarding winter performance; I put those KO2s' on the Liberty in August and come November got a nasty surprise. I'd rather not run dedicated snow tires on the Jeep if I can help it; I already have to store an extra set for the car.
Sponsored