Starting Issues

Woolf

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I recently bought a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and have had some major issues with it. The auto start top feature will randomly disable and eventually cause a check engine light to come on. But worse than that, the starter will occasionally crank for about 4 seconds or so before the Jeep will start. At first it was just the check engine light, and I took it to a dealer and they said it was fine because they couldnā€™t replicate it. Then soon after is when the starting malfunction began. Again, I took it back to have it looked at and the mechanics said it was some sensors that may have gone bad. So they have been working on it for several days, brought in a rep from FCA, and the most recent update is that I may need a new wire harness or engine. The Jeep has 5000 miles on it. Has anybody heard of this issue or experienced it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Woolf

Woolf

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I recently bought a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and have had some major issues with it. The auto start top feature will randomly disable and eventually cause a check engine light to come on. But worse than that, the starter will occasionally crank for about 4 seconds or so before the Jeep will start. At first it was just the check engine light, and I took it to a dealer and they said it was fine because they couldnā€™t replicate it. Then soon after is when the starting malfunction began. Again, I took it back to have it looked at and the mechanics said it was some sensors that may have gone bad. So they have been working on it for several days, brought in a rep from FCA, and the most recent update is that I may need a new wire harness or engine. The Jeep has 5000 miles on it. Has anybody heard of this issue or experienced it?
@JeepCares

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I may need a new wire harness or engine.
There's a big difference between needing a new harness and a new engine. They can't give you any more specifics than that? I'd send a PM to JeepCares on this forum to get your case documented.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Kratos

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes, I've had that same issue with the auto start/stop feature and received the same response from the dealership. I then took it to another dealership that was willing to help. They weren't able to fix it either after 4 attempts, so I just gave up. The auto start/stop feature works when it feels like it. But I can tell you that when the engine light comes on, it sends an error code for a crank position sensor. But after they replaced the sensor, the issue wasn't fixed. Tired of my jeep being in the shop. I had my radio screen delaminate, but they replaced it (2 trips to dealer). I had a rear main seal leak that i noticed a few days after purchase that the dealer fixed, I also had a squealing pulley that had to be replaced (3 trips to dealer). Hard to believed I paid $54K for this. I did not have the issue with the starter though....well, "not yet" anyway. I've wanted a Wrangler my whole life and at 50 years old can finally afford one, but with all these issues I'm feeling a tad cheated. I can say it looks really nice. What was the fix for yours?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes, I've had that same issue with the auto start/stop feature and received the same response from the dealership. I then took it to another dealership that was willing to help. They weren't able to fix it either after 4 attempts, so I just gave up. The auto start/stop feature works when it feels like it. But I can tell you that when the engine light comes on, it sends an error code for a crank position sensor. But after they replaced the sensor, the issue wasn't fixed. Tired of my jeep being in the shop. I had my radio screen delaminate, but they replaced it (2 trips to dealer). I had a rear main seal leak that i noticed a few days after purchase that the dealer fixed, I also had a squealing pulley that had to be replaced (3 trips to dealer). Hard to believed I paid $54K for this. I did not have the issue with the starter though....well, "not yet" anyway. I've wanted a Wrangler my whole life and at 50 years old can finally afford one, but with all these issues I'm feeling a tad cheated. I can say it looks really nice. What was the fix for yours?
Hey, Kratos. If you want to discuss with us further, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This has nothing to do with auto stop start. The feature is simply disabled by a huge number of different, seemingly unrelated problems. It sounds like you found a dealership that is not good at diagnosing mechanical problems.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

JeepCares