TexasJLUsport

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy! My name is Ethan and I'm starting this thread to document the build of my new JLU Sport. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and have already added Covercraft Carhart seat covers, Mopar floor liners, and a Flowmaster Outlaw cat back exhaust. The Jeep is a stripped down base model with the 6 speed manual. It has only one option on it, with that being the limited slip rear end which means it has the bigger Dana M220 rear end. My goal for the build is a fun daily driver and capable and comfortable overland rig. I'm not sure on what I'm gonna do for the lift. I've thought either a 1.5in lift with Rubicon flares and 35's or stock flares and 2.5-3.5in's with 35's. I'm leaning towards the taller lift just because of the increased break over angle. I want to put on the AEV bumpers, just waiting for them to be released. Gonna do a Warn Zeon 10k lb winch with synthetic line. I'm debating on doing the Gobi Rack with roof top tent or no rack and just good ole pop up tent. Definitely gonna do 4.56 gears and at least a rear selectable locker. Also gonna add some good skid plates and rocker guards. I'll do my best to keep this thread updated as I add more to the Jeep. If any of y'all have any suggestions, feel free to share them. I also live about 40 east of Houston, Texas and interested in any groups or meet ups in this area.
jeep pic2.jpg
Sponsored

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Still have a chance to sell it back and get a rubicon without the frills? As a package, hard to beat. Strong axles, lockers, factor lift over the others, 33's from factory. All you'd need to do is add your roof rack and maybe a winch and you're set.

All the same, good looking sport, love the white and black soft top with black wheels.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy! My name is Ethan and I'm starting this thread to document the build of my new JLU Sport. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and have already added Covercraft Carhart seat covers, Mopar floor liners, and a Flowmaster Outlaw cat back exhaust. The Jeep is a stripped down base model with the 6 speed manual. It has only one option on it, with that being the limited slip rear end which means it has the bigger Dana M220 rear end. My goal for the build is a fun daily driver and capable and comfortable overland rig. I'm not sure on what I'm gonna do for the lift. I've thought either a 1.5in lift with Rubicon flares and 35's or stock flares and 2.5-3.5in's with 35's. I'm leaning towards the taller lift just because of the increased break over angle. I want to put on the AEV bumpers, just waiting for them to be released. Gonna do a Warn Zeon 10k lb winch with synthetic line. I'm debating on doing the Gobi Rack with roof top tent or no rack and just good ole pop up tent. Definitely gonna do 4.56 gears and at least a rear selectable locker. Also gonna add some good skid plates and rocker guards. I'll do my best to keep this thread updated as I add more to the Jeep. If any of y'all have any suggestions, feel free to share them. I also live about 40 east of Houston, Texas and interested in any groups or meet ups in this area.
jeep pic2.jpg
Dont mind him, base sports are more than capable. Mines built up for under what it cost for a rubi. Enjoy it and enjoy the building process!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Welcome and come see us up in Navasota if you need help with any mods! We’re in the 6 speed camp too and 4.88s would pair nice with 35s!

Brett

OP
OP
TexasJLUsport

TexasJLUsport

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Still have a chance to sell it back and get a rubicon without the frills? As a package, hard to beat. Strong axles, lockers, factor lift over the others, 33's from factory. All you'd need to do is add your roof rack and maybe a winch and you're set.

All the same, good looking sport, love the white and black soft top with black wheels.
I love the Rubi's but they're a lot more even for a base model. Plus they came way down on the price for mine. I didn't need a 4:1 low range for my style of off roading and I didn't want power windows and locks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TexasJLUsport

TexasJLUsport

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Dont mind him, base sports are more than capable. Mines built up for under what it cost for a rubi. Enjoy it and enjoy the building process!
Thanks man
Welcome and come see us up in Navasota if you need help with any mods! We’re in the 6 speed camp too and 4.88s would pair nice with 35s!

Brett
Will do man! I was thinking 4.88's might be a little too low? It's still gonna b a daily driver and I'll be doing long highway miles on my overland trips. Any advise would be much appreciated.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thanks man

Will do man! I was thinking 4.88's might be a little too low? It's still gonna b a daily driver and I'll be doing long highway miles on my overland trips. Any advise would be much appreciated.
We have 5.13s with 37s and are around 2450-2500 rpms at 70. Combined avg mileage is 16-17

Brett

mdillon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Sport S
awesome! sport life is the best.

I had the same deliberations on the rubi and for the insane added cost vs how rarely i would ever use lockers and disconnects wasn't worth it. Build list sounds tight. hopefully AEV releases the bumpers before a new wrangler body style comes out.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
jeep pic2.jpg
Sounds like you have a great plan. Keep the pics and updates coming!

OP
OP
TexasJLUsport

TexasJLUsport

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I haven't posted in awhile so I figured I would do a little bit of an update. I decided to go on a different path with my mods. I watched some videos of people doing some serious long distance travel and overlanding and I noticed that a lot of the Jeeps were stock or near stock suspension wise. I've decided to keep my suspension pretty stock and just wheel it and if I decide I need more later on I can lift and re-gear it. I put some Daystar 3/4 inch coil spacers front and rear, Rock Hard winch mount plate and Quadratec 10,000LB winch with synthetic line, Rugged Ridge rock sliders, Rock Hard front skid plate, Hi-Lift jack mounted on hood, and a Vector Off Road dash bar. I ordered some 265-70R17 Falken Wildpeak MT's. Only slightly taller but nearly a full inch wider and much more aggressive than the stock tires. I'm thinking I might add a Torq lunch box locker in the front because the price ain't too bad and I can install it in about an hour in the driveway. I really wish Detroit made a TrueTrac for the rear. Anways my tires should be here in a couple of days. Once I get em installed I'll post some pics of everything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TexasJLUsport

TexasJLUsport

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well I got the tires on. Also added a Quadratec aluminum engine/transmission skid. I also just got back from a 3 day overlanding trip through the Ouchita mountains in Arkansas. Managed to get in about 120 miles on dirt roads and trails.
IMG_20200223_131808.jpg
IMG_20200223_131837.jpg
IMG_20200224_140621.jpg
IMG_20200224_143437.jpg
IMG_20200222_092500.jpg

Cascadia4x4

First Name
Cascadia 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep/Toyota
Nice rig! Does the hi-lift not interfere with your windshield washers? I know this is something we had to try and work around designing our hood solar panels for the JL.

OP
OP
TexasJLUsport

TexasJLUsport

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The spray hi
Nice rig! Does the hi-lift not interfere with your windshield washers? I know this is something we had to try and work around designing our hood solar panels for the JL.
Thanks!The spray hits the jack a little, but not enough to affect anything.

OP
OP
TexasJLUsport

TexasJLUsport

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well, after living with the larger tires tires for a couple months and a few thousand miles, I've to decided regear the Jeep. The stock 3.45 gears do ok down here in South East Texas but the Jeep was lacking in power going through the mountains of Arkansas. It also needed some deeper gearing off road. Plus I'd like to have enough power for towing a trailer with about 1500-2000lbs. I'm going to put in a selectable locker in the rear also. I don't plan on going any bigger than 33's in the future. I'm thinking 4.56 gears should be low enough while not being too low for current tires size of 265-70r17(Basically 32-10.50's). Anybody have any experience with 4.56's and 33's?
Sponsored