The 3.6L ESS works brilliantly with the manual

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I’m not a huge fan of start/stop systems for all the reasons that people complain about. When the start/stop battery in my wife’s Volvo XC90 died i didn’t bother having it fixed under warranty—and we drove it 60K miles that way :)

But the start/stop in 3.6L/manual combo is truly excellent. Having the engine start as soon as I depress the clutch and shift into gear, and while my other foot is still on the brake, makes all the difference in the world. There is no delay to forward motion. It affords a much more seamless experience than either the 3.6 or 2.0 paired with the 8-speed auto.

For the future manual owner lamenting about ESS - DON’T!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
I have a 19 2 dr with the manual transmission, only a few hundred miles and I get a number of messages as to why the ess is not ready. One that I get regularly is battery charging or something to that effect. Anybody else? My concern is that I have a draw somewhere. I agree that it seems to work pretty well although mine does not activate often.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I’m not a huge fan of start/stop systems for all the reasons that people complain about. When the start/stop battery in my wife’s Volvo XC90 died i didn’t bother having it fixed under warranty—and we drove it 60K miles that way :)

But the start/stop in 3.6L/manual combo is truly excellent. Having the engine start as soon as I depress the clutch and shift into gear, and while my other foot is still on the brake, makes all the difference in the world. There is no delay to forward motion. It affords a much more seamless experience than either the 3.6 or 2.0 paired with the 8-speed auto.

For the future manual owner lamenting about ESS - DON’T!
agreed. And if you know it’s a short light you can keep the clutch depressed and no ESS!

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Disabling was my only option. Not only did I find it annoying but I was worried the continued use of ESS would cause my starter motor to fail prematurely.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I remember reading before the JL was released in 2017 that they designed a more robust starter that would handle the added demand.

I think it works well, but my questioning of it is in regards to added engine wear. It may not cause any, especially running 0w20, but I can't help but wonder. So I have it disabled most of the time. I do like it for drive through windows, though. I don't like alot of idling.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have a 19 2 dr with the manual transmission, only a few hundred miles and I get a number of messages as to why the ess is not ready. One that I get regularly is battery charging or something to that effect. Anybody else? My concern is that I have a draw somewhere. I agree that it seems to work pretty well although mine does not activate often.
See How does ESS work on a Manual for reasons it’s not ready.

I agree with OP that it works better with the manual than the auto, but I keep it disabled via my Tazer nonetheless. I find it irritating; it makes me feel like I’m driving a golf cart.

Also, they made the starter and related components more robust so they could handle so many cycles. Well, by my logic that means if I disable ESS I’ll probably never need a new starter...

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
With my manual it is largely a non-issue. I almost always have my foot on the clutch an an intersection so it never activates.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 manual
Random comment about being at a light and clutch in and not in gear....I was taught back in the day in drivers ed (yep they had a manual car as well as auto, shows my age there) that at an intersection to always have your foot on the clutch and be in gear. That way if you got hit and you were knocked unconscious your foot would come off the clutch(probably) and the clutch would disengage, probably stalling the engine and essentially helping in stopping the vehicle from just rolling down the road possibly into oncoming traffic or something else.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Random comment about being at a light and clutch in and not in gear....I was taught back in the day in drivers ed (yep they had a manual car as well as auto, shows my age there) that at an intersection to always have your foot on the clutch and be in gear. That way if you got hit and you were knocked unconscious your foot would come off the clutch(probably) and the clutch would disengage, probably stalling the engine and essentially helping in stopping the vehicle from just rolling down the road possibly into oncoming traffic or something else.
interesting.

however, you would likely sustain less injury if you’re not in gear and let the force propel you forward. (as long as its not into traffic and you then get T-boned.

not sure about the numbers, but my guess is that you’d have to be hit pretty darn hard to be knocked unconscious.
Sponsored