Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Those Fuel Zephyrs look really sharp. The local dealer down here has had a black JL Rubi sitting on the lot for months with the red Zephyrs. They look great except for the one mounted as the spare has faded from sitting in the sun.
Sponsored

JKZJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Better late than never VenomRex VR 501 in Tungsten Graphite with 35X12.50R20 K02 tires

Jl Venom Rex.png
What lift are you running? Using the stock spare carrier or did you have to replace it?

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I told myself that I would end up with polished aluminum rims but these are making me reconsider

AnchorDown

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Got my JL (first time jeep owner) in December. I kept looking everywhere for wheels but couldn't make up my mind. Finally pulled the trigger on the Fuel Vapors. They're actually getting installed right now with a 2.5 in lift. First serious mod to it since i've owned it. Will definitely post pics once I get my jeep back.

Sponsored

AnchorDown

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Got my JL (first time jeep owner) in December. I kept looking everywhere for wheels but couldn't make up my mind. Finally pulled the trigger on the Fuel Vapors. They're actually getting installed right now with a 2.5 in lift. First serious mod to it since i've owned it. Will definitely post pics once I get my jeep back.
not the best photo. It was closing time and j had to run in and pay. After talking about jeep adventures inside, I came out and it was dark already. Really love the difference in drive. Can’t believe how much higher the ride feels. Can’t wait till the next mod.

45F3A6D1-015C-4BB7-B25A-4B8841BC2BF9.jpeg

fredthemilkman

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport Umlim
Just wanted to share my experience buying new wheels & tires for my 2019 Stock Sport Unlimited (JL). This forum was tremendous help to me in doing my homework so I want to pay it back for the next guy.

Obviously there are as many different opinions about what looks “good” as there are Jeeps out there. These are just my personal opinions…

I spent almost a month doing homework & research on the wheels & tires I wanted to add to my new 2019 Sting Gray Sport Unlim JL.

I don’t want to lift the Jeep at this time. So I wanted the largest wheels & tires that would work for me without a lift.

I also don’t do any kind of serious off-roading. No rock climbing. No “full extension” 4 wheeling. Just some light occasional dirt trails & small streams to get to my secret trout stream.

I also have to tow this Jeep behind our motor coach. So that was also a factor in deciding not to lift or modify the suspension.

So if you want to do any serious off-roading, then my choice here won’t work for you. You’ll just have to lift your Jeep for these wheels/tires to work for real off-roading.

I love the way the wheels & tires fill the wheel wells. It’s perfect for the way I use the vehicle.

I wanted some gray wheels to “match” the sting gray paint. That’s nearly impossible. I couldn’t find any wheels that exactly match the sting gray color (I looked a long time!).

I started by looking at all of the Fuel wheels in “anthracite” gray. Fortunately, I went to a local Jeep Custom Shop and was able to roll one of these wheels out next to my Jeep and see what they would look like.

The anthracite color doesn’t work for me. It just looks too “silver” compared with the muted color of the Sting gray. It just doesn’t “feel right” to me. The colors clashed.

You’ll see that my final selection here (Rugged Ridge XHD wheels) are not an exact match either. But to me, it’s far more of a “complimentary” color that does seem to pair well with the sting gray.

Depending on the light, the sting gray tends to change to different shades of gray. You can see that in some of these pics taken at different times.

These wheels work well in almost any light. Again, it’s not a “matching” color but a “complimentary” color that just works well together (IMHO).

Tires: I know there are a ton of great options out there. Everyone seems to have their own favorites. I narrowed the decision down to either BFG KO2s or Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Both are “All terrain” tires that have lots of good reviews.

I chose the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 33x12.5R17

Because of the size I choose, I had no other options than the “E Load” with are heavier and “less flexible” tires. This makes for a slightly stiffer ride than “C load range” (or others). But honestly, unless you really pump them up to high pressures, I can’t tell the difference in the ride quality from the original stock Michelin tires that came with it.

I’m VERY happy with the ride quality of these new wheels & tires. I just have to keep the tire pressure a little lower at around 32 PSI - which is still plenty of air to prevent uneven wear.

I paid a LOT of attention to the noise and ride quality for several weeks before making the changeover. I rode everywhere with the windows down and no radio so I could concentrate on the sounds and feel of the ride on the stock wheels.

I honestly cannot feel or hear any difference at all with these new wheels. Which is honestly a bit shocking as I was expecting at least a little more of a difference. So I’m very happy with that.

Size: I was originally going to get 285/70R17 as my research said that this size would be the best/largest without lifting.

But after talking to the guy at the local shop, he said that they are putting 33x12.5R17 on these stock wranglers all day long without any problems with rubbing… As long as you pair the right wheels with it.

You definitely couldn’t use these tires on a stock wheel.

But the Rugged Ridge XHD (aka “Fortec F1”) in GUNMETAL gray was the perfect fit at 17”x9” x -12mm offset.

Yes, they do stick out past the fenders. I know that won’t work for some people too. But I love it. They just feel “perfect” for me all the way around.

We DID have to cut back the bottom edge of that additional “Euro Fender” insert that sits behind the stock fender, or the tires would have rubbed against that (just the bottom edge).

Most people I’ve seen on here just choose to completely remove that additional front fender insert. I would have done that too. But I tow the Jeep behind my motor coach and removing that insert would cause the tires to throw rocks and dirt at the back of the motor coach through that gap if removed. So I have to leave them on to suit my needs.

Here’s the summary…

* No lift of any kind

* Rugged Ridge XHD wheels in GUNMETAL gray - 17”x9” x -12mm offset

* Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 33x12.5R17

* Trim the bottom edge of the “euro fender” inserts (below the stock fender)

= Perfect ride quality, NO rubbing, no noise, perfect looks!

Hopefully this helps the next guy trying to figure these things out!

Before-1_2-2.jpg
After-1_2.jpg

After-4_2.jpg
After-5_2.jpg
After-6_2.jpg
After-7_2.jpg

Sponsored

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Just had 35x12.5x17 BFG KM3’s installed this morning on Fifteen52 dark bronze Turbomac HD’s.

4EBC98EE-B8D4-46C0-A451-A7A0E8E77FBB.jpeg
I really like these wheels. I considered going with the bronze myself but went with gray instead. You have a picture showing the whole Jeep?

Jcgib81

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S Wrangler JL
Loved the Wheels from my old 2013 so I grabbed some from Quadratec. Just kept the factory tires for now, because I could get it past the wife that way. LOL. Only 9k on the tires. I know its the old style but I love the Gun Metal accent. Just my 2 cents.

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg