Sponsored

How Simple is it to back out of custom order?

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My pleasure and good luck. I'm glad I don't see stuff like this on the Forum that often it really bothers me to see a dealership not taking care of the customers that make this all possible.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Warranty start date is the day you drive it off the lot.
You would think this to be true but it's not all of the time. The dealer should inform any potential customer if the warranty was punched prematurely and compensate them. I know of a few instances where someone bought a assumingly brand new car with delivery miles when in reality the warranty was punched before the sale. I have seen first hand where dealers punch a warranty before the vehicle is delivered to anyone. They do this for different reasons. The most common reason is they they needed a extra unit to qualify for a sales bonus. Or they needed a unit to qualify for more allocation of a more desirable model.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
the whole thing is shady.
From the customer perspective, what happened to OP Jim is beyond sad - thank you Paul for chiming in and for providing clarity.

What drives a business to engage in this type of behavior? Jim is getting beyond the short end of the stick when all he wanted to do was a business transaction with this dealership and get a Jeep the way he wanted it. Boy, the way this situation has unraveled now really, really, really makes me angry.

Jim, I know some have told you to throw a fit, some have told you to go somewhere else and other people have given you options. None of these are wrong - you decide what’s best for you.

May I suggest you play smart and GET EVEN? First things first, take your bucket list trip without the Jeep. Your time and family are important. Go, have fun.

Don’t cancel your order at the shady dealership. Leave it alone. They messed up with your order, they took your money, they’re making you wait while it’s clear they engage in predatory practices. And it’s going to cost them, not you. You have paid in money and time. It’s their turn now.

Call them every day, sometimes multiple times. Let them get to know your name if they don’t already. Remind them to get you the vehicle that you ordered. Multiple times in the day. Pester them.

Get them to either rewrite the order so that the warranty clock isn’t ticking or get you another vehicle similar to yours at an even better price.

Or tell them to reapply your deposit to a new build. Tell them that you are normally a rational and reasonable person, but in light of your experience, that time has come and gone. And they need to provide you with concessions either off the vehicle or thru their parts dept.

The ball is in your court: put the squeeze on them and tell them you aren’t going anywhere and that they need to hire someone full time to deal with you. Wear them out. Rinse and repeat.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
From the customer perspective, what happened to OP Jim is beyond sad - thank you Paul for chiming in and for providing clarity.

What drives a business to engage in this type of behavior? Jim is getting beyond the short end of the stick when all he wanted to do was a business transaction with this dealership and get a Jeep the way he wanted it. Boy, the way this situation has unraveled now really, really, really makes me angry.

Jim, I know some have told you to throw a fit, some have told you to go somewhere else and other people have given you options. None of these are wrong - you decide what’s best for you.

May I suggest you play smart and GET EVEN? First things first, take your bucket list trip without the Jeep. Your time and family are important. Go, have fun.

Don’t cancel your order at the shady dealership. Leave it alone. They messed up with your order, they took your money, they’re making you wait while it’s clear they engage in predatory practices. And it’s going to cost them, not you. You have paid in money and time. It’s their turn now.

Call them every day, sometimes multiple times. Let them get to know your name if they don’t already. Remind them to get you the vehicle that you ordered. Multiple times in the day. Pester them.

Get them to either rewrite the order so that the warranty clock isn’t ticking or get you another vehicle similar to yours at an even better price.

Or tell them to reapply your deposit to a new build. Tell them that you are normally a rational and reasonable person, but in light of your experience, that time has come and gone. And they need to provide you with concessions either off the vehicle or thru their parts dept.

The ball is in your court: put the squeeze on them and tell them you aren’t going anywhere and that they need to hire someone full time to deal with you. Wear them out. Rinse and repeat.
I would not call anymore. I would actually email and text the owner and get him into the loop. I would text and email the sales manager and CC the salesman, general manager, owner so there is a paper trail documenting everything.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I would not call anymore. I would actually email and text the owner and get him into the loop. I would text and email the sales manager and CC the salesman, general manager, owner so there is a paper trail documenting everything.
Even better!!! :clap:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP, also make sure if & when you get this custom order that the Window Sticker actually said it was specially made for you. I know it's a small detail, but after all this wait you deserve something "extra" vs buying off the lot :)
Plus it is kinda cool to see that sticker with that personal touch.
G'luck Sir!

Backpack

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S, 2023 MINI Cooper SE

I’d still take the trip, but go radio silent with the dealer. When they finally call to say it arrived, tell them you’ll be there in an hour to pick it up and then don’t show up. When they call the next day, tell them you’ll be there tomorrow and then don’t show up. Keep pushing them off with as many fun excuses as you can come up with. Eventually show up unannounced and cancel the order and get your money back.

I’ve custom ordered multiple cars. Every time I’ve asked if the deposit is refundable and every time the answer is yes. The most I’ve ever put down on a deposit was $1,000. Twice I had to cancel an order. Once was because I was moving out of state and would have required me to essentially pay sales tax twice (don’t ever move to GA if you have a new expensive car!). The first time was a custom ordered Ford Taurus SHO back in the early 90s. The car was over 4 months late and the dealer responses were awful. That deal soured me so much on Ford that I vowed I’d never buy a Ford. I’ve stuck to that vow and plan to continue.

Your deposit is absolutely refundable unless there is something in the fine print of your contract that says otherwise.

WeBeJeepin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Also It was reported sold to me on Jan 17th to Chrysler...does that mean the warranty has started ticking on it??
ya I would definitely call and complain, I don’t know for sure but that sounds like a tactic in order for them not to have it show up as being excessively late to get delivered on their end with Jeep.
I must say that’s Definitely the longest wait time I’ve heard of.
I’d go down to the dealership if convenient and make a stink about it and be like this is ridiculous if it’s not here ASAP I’m going to call Jeep and complain and cancel the order and go somewhere else. if they do get it to you also make sure the paperwork has the correct current dating so they don’t screw you

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well technically they can fix it but to do that they have to "unwind" the deal. So the deal was done for Jan 17th. If that deal was needed for them to hit their numbers they wouldn't want to unwind it because that would cost them a lot of money. If it wasn't needed or if they didn't hit their numbers then they probably would. If they unwind the deal it will no long show as sold and then they could re-do the deal with the new date. That is the only way to fix this. Having said that though the whole thing is shady. I understand you wanting your vehicle and you may just end up getting it regardless but I wouldn't work with them again. Gives CDJR a bad name. As a sales consultant it frustrates me to see this.
Gawd, this is BAD!

FCA has been under investigation by the SEC for fudging its sales reports. Last September FCA was found guilty and slapped $40 million in fines. But looks like it hasn’t learned a thing!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ined-40-million-for-u-s-sales-reporting-fraud

Perhaps FCA feels it can keep fudging the numbers because this is in Canada...? Geez.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Gawd, this is BAD!

FCA has been under investigation by the SEC for fudging its sales reports. Last September FCA was found guilty and slapped $40 million in fines. But looks like it hasn’t learned a thing!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ined-40-million-for-u-s-sales-reporting-fraud

Perhaps FCA feels it can keep fudging the numbers because this is in Canada...? Geez.

Its not FCA that marks it as sold but the dealer and all dealers are franchise

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Its not FCA that marks it as sold but the dealer and all dealers are franchise
If that is the case, automakers have the legal right to terminate a franchise when an independent dealer engages in unlawful practices.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
True but at this point we only know one side of the story and will never really know what’s going on as it’s between the dealer and buyer

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
Once was because I was moving out of state and would have required me to essentially pay sales tax twice (don’t ever move to GA if you have a new expensive car!)
I don't think you would have to pay sales tax twice. Wherever you live at the time you purchase a vehicle is entitled to the sales tax. If you move, you don't pay sales tax a second time when you register your car.What if you moved a 10 year old car? You wouldn't pay a second time.

You could have also had the dealer not register the car and register in the new state yourself. I think there is a way to do that. I know it can get tricky with insurance but no way you should pay twice.

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Update;

My sales guy called me yesterday, they were told vehicles in front of the Jeep had been cleared out, so the dearlership convinced Chrysler to send out a truck for them to pick it up themselves and Chrysler agreed.

It arrived today but now they are trying to reset the warranty and deal with their end of bank stuff. Should know what happens end of today or tomorrow.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Update;

My sales guy called me yesterday, they were told vehicles in front of the Jeep had been cleared out, so the dearlership convinced Chrysler to send out a truck for them to pick it up themselves and Chrysler agreed.

It arrived today but now they are trying to reset the warranty and deal with their end of bank stuff. Should know what happens end of today or tomorrow.
I hope it all works out for you. Go on that awesome trip and enjoy the wind in your hair and family fun time. Sometimes adversity adds to the story and make the other things more enjoyable.
Sponsored