38's & 40's JL Pics W/Lift Kit! Post Em Up

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Rock Krawler 2.5” lift with 40” Mickey Thompson Baja Boss and the AAL fender mod.

D62096E8-32D4-48DD-B264-5AE69B0464F0.jpeg

405FACAF-0CE0-4A4B-A01D-1D80FE85DD43.jpeg

82866254-CE39-4CFF-BACF-C4B274FC6AD8.jpeg
That looks so good it looks a lot like my 18 Rubicon. Are those 40 13.50 or 40 15.50 ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Okay my bad I thought you were doing like some people that put big tires on it and think they dont have to lift the Jeep. I've seen people put 37's on a JL Rubicon and not lift it at all yeah it'll work but it will rub if they go off roading. but no I didn't put my tires on first then lift it on my JL Rubicon. we planned ahead and knew what we were going to do ahead of time. We did the 3-inch lift first then we put 37s on it but it was all there at one time we had the tires ready to go with lift but we did the lift first. We did not have to put the tires on and then figure out what kind of lift we were going to do. there's so much knowledge now on the internet seeing what people have done we knew what we're going to do ahead of time
Well that’s where the difference of philosophy comes in. Most people will prevent rubbing by adding bump stop, and increasing ride height to compensate for the subsequent loss in up-travel.

Other people will prevent rubbing by removing whatever the tire was hitting in the first place.

I think the latter is a better option and even though KOM is the king of the mall I will still give him credit for going down that path.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Well that’s where the difference of philosophy comes in. Most people will prevent rubbing by adding bump stop, and increasing ride height to compensate for the subsequent loss in up-travel.

Other people will prevent rubbing by removing whatever the tire was hitting in the first place.

I think the latter is a better option and even though KOM is the king of the mall I will still give him credit for going down that path.
So with all the builds out there that everyone is building with the JLS and all the knowledge you're telling me you put tires on and have no idea what you're doing till you measure ? if that's how you do it fine but there's plenty of information was rock krawler and metal clock on the JL to know what to do ahead of time.You mean to tell me with all the JLs and knowledge out there and the builds you've seen you have to put tires on 1st not knowing what you're going to do ahead of time. I guess your JL must be different than everyone else's that's been built. I guess you never been the sema. Dude
seriously you have no idea what kind of lift your going to put on and tires ahead of time no planning it's not like the JL was brand new yesterday lol

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I guess you never watched any videos on people building JLs to know what you're doing you're the first person I've heard do that way.. so if you wanted 40s I don't know what you do because it wouldn't fit very good you have to do the luft first before you stick them on lol

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger

But you have zero flex ability. That's not good at all.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Yes if I didn't know what what I was doing ahead of time
Yes if I had no idea what I was doing ahead of time. there's enough builds out there I know just like when I lived in mind I was going to do the 3-inch lift and I knew 37 1250 17 would fit with no problem you just have to get the right backspacing on the Wheel which I knew that ahead of time and I did all at once I don't understand why you can't do it all at once it's like you're going in blind and not knowing what you're doing..you knew what size lift you were going to put on there ahead of time I guarantee it you weren't just waiting to see after you put the tires on you've seen what people can do and what you can't do on 37's and 38 and forty you know what it takes on a JL unless you've been in jail for The last 2 years.which I doubt so you seen what people are doing to these JL you know what size lift it takes to run 37's and then 38 and 40 or 39 you can't tell me you had no idea what size lift you were going to put on with 37's

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
So with all the builds out there that everyone is building with the JLS and all the knowledge you're telling me you put tires on and have no idea what you're doing till you measure ?
Yep that’s exactly right. There are a million different tire, wheel, and fender combinations, how am I supposed to know what each Jeep needs suspension wise without knowing where the axle needs to bump out at?

Of course, you could just buy an off-the-shelf, one-size-fits-all lift kit and follow their tire size and offset guidelines. These guidelines generally assume full/unmodified OEM fenders and will leave your Jeep way over-bumped in the event that you’re running high clearance fenders or no fenders at all.

I guess you never watched any videos on people building JLs to know what you're doing you're the first person I've heard do that way.. so if you wanted 40s I don't know what you do because it wouldn't fit very good you have to do the luft first before you stick them on lol
I do keep an eye on YouTube videos unfortunately in order to keep up with industry trends. I’ve lost a lot of brain cells in the process.

If I were running 40s I can tell you exactly what I’d do. I’d bump out my new axles to see what they need as far as differential, track bar, and drag link clearance. Then I would mount up my 40s and cut and grind until my tires agreed with my axles on where they should bump out. Then at that point I can measure for shocks which dictates the rest of the suspension setup.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Yep that’s exactly right. There are a million different tire, wheel, and fender combinations, how am I supposed to know what each Jeep needs suspension wise without knowing where the axle needs to bump out at?

Of course, you could just buy an off-the-shelf, one-size-fits-all lift kit and follow their tire size and offset guidelines. These guidelines generally assume full/unmodified OEM fenders and will leave your Jeep way over-bumped in the event that you’re running high clearance fenders or no fenders at all.

I do keep an eye on YouTube videos unfortunately in order to keep up with industry trends. I’ve lost a lot of brain cells in the process.

If I were running 40s I can tell you exactly what I’d do. I’d bump out my new axles to see what they need as far as differential, track bar, and drag link clearance. Then I would mount up my 40s and cut and grind until my tires agreed with my axles on where they should bump out. Then at that point I can measure for shocks which dictates the rest of the suspension setup.
I could argue all day with you and talk about this. you do it your way and you'll be happy have a great week

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I could argue all day with you and talk about this. you do it your way and you'll be happy have a great week
All good. That white 4 door isn’t even mine in case you were confusing me with KOM. Just didn’t want to see the dude get shit on when in my estimation he is fitting his tires the proper way. But agree to disagree, have a good one.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
All good. That white 4 door isn’t even mine in case you were confusing me with KOM. Just didn’t want to see the dude get shit on when in my estimation he is fitting his tires the proper way. But agree to disagree, have a good one.
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with big tires and low lift. Seriously, the stock 33s on a JLR would have required 4"+ of lift for a TJ to fit. Sure, the TJ would have more ground-to-frame clearance, but let's be honest, which wheels better and is less likely to turn rubber side up?

If we're honest, a stock JLR might drag it's belly in places but it will absolutely spank the TJ in virtually any choice of terrain. There's nothing wrong with trimming to fit 38s or 40s with minimal to no lift. Adjust your bump stops, and live with less up-travel. Unless your planning to chase Raptors in the desert, you'll be just fine even with the loss in uptravel.

Pbjeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ Tj jk six in all
Anyone running the bfg 39” Km3? Post some pics and suspension/wheel details. How do you like them?

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Anyone running the bfg 39” Km3? Post some pics and suspension/wheel details. How do you like them?
I’m interested in the responses we’ll see. I’m thinking about switching to the BFH 39” KM3. Wanted to run them when I put the lift on but I could t get my hands on them so I went with the 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers.