Sponsored

Let's talk coffee, what is your set up?

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I've heard good things about the Black Rifle Coffee Co's instant brew, but haven't been able to find it in stock. I use an Aeropress at home and have a drip cup in the camp bin, but if it's as good as the reviews say I would be thrilled to leave that gear behind.
I grabbed some non-instant on impulse at a gun shop, try looking there... clerk warned me on the price but, it goes to charity causes & I just thought my buddy would like it from the packaging. Unfortunately due to supply chain errors I ended up having to requisition it for my own use, was surprised, it's not bad. Has a lot of caffeine in it, maybe just that specific version anyway.. I was racing until I figured it out.
Have all the different brew gear as well and it all just gets annoying at camp. Lost the bottom filter cap from APress on one trip. I've been using a manual crank grinder & Coleman percolator. I don't want to annoy others with electric whirring noises first thing in the AM
Will try instant, maybe its serviceable, any hot coffee is appreciated when out in the cold

coffee.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Coffee and Jeeps. They go together. I had a goal, to drink fresh brewed coffee on a mountain pass after I retired. This was a big goal as I live in Michigan, and we do nothave mountain passes. And not just any coffee, Black Rifle Coffee. It took 11 months and 27 days after I retired to make it happen.

ENj8qGq7PNFVA4uMIDIAIrnRKtMvzfMf7CSreerEcbmybcR5xqbN4GQTdc5vd2C9nCCePq0weH0kcZgdoQ=w1010-h757-no.jpg

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I make a quart of triple strength condensed cold brew at home. It travels well in a cooler for a week, makes 6 -16oz. mugs and heats without quality degradation. I drink it black and it's smooth, never bitter.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc....gws-wiz.......0i131j0i131i70i251.LUGETs-FDSY
HMMMM! Interesting......I have had "cold brew" as a cold beverage..... never thought that it would reheat well!
Cold brew is noted for not having the acids of a hot brewed coffee. Reheatabilty of cold brewed coffee is the perk.

Update:
I have been making a quart quad strength so it works out to be a gallon. 4 oz concentate with 12 oz filtered water very hot or cold water microwaved for 2 minutes. Very tasty 16 oz cup of Joe

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rumblefish

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Cold brew is noted for not having the acids of a hot brewed coffee. Reheatabilty of cold brewed coffee is the perk.
hehehehe, you said "Perk" no puns intended! I once drank an entire bottle of "cold brew" @ 0430 I was frantically searching the internet to see if I had something wrong...... That stuff is rocket fuel!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Old-school stainless steel percolator...
My folks used a percolator for years and years, so definitely "old school". Stainless steel percolators? Not so much - unless, perhaps, my folks were even poorer than I remember.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
My folks used a percolator for years and years, so definitely "old school". Stainless steel percolators? Not so much - unless, perhaps, my folks were even poorer than I remember.
Stainless steel percolators are the safe way to go. No hot liquids in contact with plastic, etc.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Stainless steel percolators are the safe way to go. No hot liquids in contact with plastic, etc.
I never thought about this. It is such a shame the aeropress produces such a superior coffee. But the bialetti percolators do an awesome job as well, I'll take one to my next camping trip for sure.

For espresso I prefer the handpresso over the nanopresso, but I almost never prepare espresso while camping. Too much work.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Not knocking SS - just commenting that SS percolators were not the common thing that one would think when they are described as "old school". Like I said maybe they were much more common than I know and its just that we couldn't afford such things back then (early 60's). Dad was a career Marine and nobody gets rich in the USMC. As a kid I wondered why he was always rebuilding that damn toaster but as I got older I understood (plus the toasters these days are pure crap compared to that one, which I Iooked up on a vintage toaster site - yes, such things exist! - and I'm sure my Dad is laughing somewhere seeing what it goes for now).

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I use a plastic press. It's important to get a neoprene wrap for the press -- or get one that comes with it. That will keep the water warm while you wait the 6 minutes for it to steep.