DRL Dropout

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
There's a bit of confusion here. Turn/park signals can be used as DRLs on vehicles with halogen lighting.

There are different options in the various tuners/programmers depending on the type of DRLs being enabled.

The settings for LED DRLs in JSCAN are different than those for regular halogen DRLs. The halogen DRL settings are the ones you refer to for fogs, headlight, park/turn. This is what I plan to enable and set to turn/park. It worked on my '15 JKU and should work just the same on my '20 JLU.

Again, the question I have refers to the DRL Dropout setting which is active by default.
My understanding has been that DRL dropout turns off the discrete DRLs (that we don't have) when the turn signals are activated. So I would assume it will do nothing on a sport that has no discrete DRLs. If I get bored tomorrow, I'll test it for you, but I think will find it does nothing.

Edit: BTW the switchbacks work fine for me. They are off when the headlamps/parking lamps are off...on and white when on, and flash Amber when using the turn signal. No Tazer configuration was required.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jludave

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

My understanding has been that DRL dropout turns off the discrete DRLs (that we don't have) when the high beams are activated. So I would assume it will do nothing on a sport that has no discrete DRLs. If I get bored tomorrow, I'll test it for you, but I think will find it does nothing.
This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Dave, I was going to do the same as you so I tested my with my halogen park/turn signals before ordering the switchbacks. I used Jscan to enable DRL and set them to park/turn signals and they came on but it looked like the brighter turn signal was light lit constantly, not the dimmer running light.
If I understand how the switchbacks work, this would mean they will light amber as DRLs and not white as they would be for running lights. Based on my test, I decided not to order the switchbacks.
Since you already have the switchbacks, can you please update this post when you get your bypass cable and enable the DRLs through Jscan? It would be awesome if my test was flawed the switchbacks work as they did in your JK.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
You are right, there is some confusion here, DRL's are "Daytime Running Lights". what you are describing are running lights that change from white to amber when the turn signals are activated. Daytime Running Lights are forward facing white or amber lights that are on when the headlights are in the "off" position. Semantics, i know, but that is the source of the confusion.

Gregj

Sponsored

OP
OP
jludave

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I used Jscan to enable DRL and set them to park/turn signals and they came on but it looked like the brighter turn signal was light lit constantly, not the dimmer running light.
I'm not denying what you saw with DRL enabled, I just don't see how it's possible. A Sport with halogen park/turn signal bulbs has only one bulb on each side that is a combo park and turn signal bulb. There is no separate running light. This is unlike the LED fender lights that have 2 separate bulbs/LEDs on each side. The halogens are on full bright when the headlight switch is set to parking lights, full on or auto and it is dark enough. They flash/blink as turn signals at full brightness when the turn signals are activated. Are you sure that what you saw wasn't the bulbs illuminated at partial brightness due to DRL setting? I will test when I get everything I need.

You are right, there is some confusion here, DRL's are "Daytime Running Lights". what you are describing are running lights that change from white to amber when the turn signals are activated. Daytime Running Lights are forward facing white or amber lights that are on when the headlights are in the "off" position. Semantics, i know, but that is the source of the confusion.

Gregj
I know the difference. No confusion on my part. Yes, my switchback bulbs are normally white when on and turn amber when a turn signal is activated. As I've been saying all along, I plan to use JSCAN to enable my park/turn signals to be used as DRLs. This means that they should turn on white as soon as the vehicle is shifted into drive without the parking brake.

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Are you sure that what you saw wasn't the bulbs illuminated at partial brightness due to DRL setting? I will test when I get everything I need.
It's possible I could have mistaken the park lights as being brighter than they really were in the daylight. I hope that's the case and wish you success

OP
OP
jludave

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Since you already have the switchbacks, can you please update this post when you get your bypass cable and enable the DRLs through Jscan?
OK, so here are my current findings. Using JSCAN I set the DRL location to "Turn Signals". I then went into the DRL Configuration setting. I wasn't sure what to set here because there is no USA or America setting. There are options for Canada DRL, Europe DRL and a few others. I ultimately decided to try Canada DRL. These settings work, however the DRLs come on amber as soon as the vehicle is started. This is likely because the setting is configured for "Turn Signal". The switch backs turn white when the parking lights or headlights are on and switch to amber with the turn signals. I think I can live with this. I want the white look at night since it is brighter. Amber turn signals for DRLs are normally how it's done and are more noticeable during th day than white. I do have a support ticket open with JSCAN asking about the other setting and whether the white running part of the switch backs can be used as DRLs.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so here are my current findings. Using JSCAN I set the DRL location to "Turn Signals". I then went into the DRL Configuration setting. I wasn't sure what to set here because there is no USA or America setting. There are options for Canada DRL, Europe DRL and a few others. I ultimately decided to try Canada DRL. These settings work, however the DRLs come on amber as soon as the vehicle is started. This is likely because the setting is configured for "Turn Signal". The switch backs turn white when the parking lights or headlights are on and switch to amber with the turn signals. I think I can live with this. I want the white look at night since it is brighter. Amber turn signals for DRLs are normally how it's done and are more noticeable during th day than white. I do have a support ticket open with JSCAN asking about the other setting and whether the white running part of the switch backs can be used as DRLs.
If it helps I went with Optional DRL on my Jeep and they work as expected. The DRL's are off until the e-brake is released (6 speed transmission). I also purchased a license for my wife's Jeep which I have a Tazer on to compare the settings and they are the same (Optional DRL).

Gregj

OP
OP
jludave

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If it helps I went with Optional DRL on my Jeep and they work as expected. The DRL's are off until the e-brake is released (6 speed transmission). I also purchased a license for my wife's Jeep which I have a Tazer on to compare the settings and they are the same (Optional DRL).

Gregj

Thanks. When I have a chance, I will make that change and see what happens. There’s another thread on here that mentions a USA setting when using a Tazer. I wonder if that is there on vehicles with factory LEDs. Like I said, I have a support ticket open with JSCAN and hope to get some clarification on the various settings or lack there of. Also asked about possibly enabling the white running/park lights of my switch backs as DRLs.

For now, I’m happy to have DRLs at all. Just a wait and see for a response from JSCAN.

Also, my apologies for being a bit stubborn in previous posts. Just re-read everything and realized how I came across.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. When I have a chance, I will make that change and see what happens. There’s another thread on here that mentions a USA setting when using a Tazer. I wonder if that is there on vehicles with factory LEDs. Like I said, I have a support ticket open with JSCAN and hope to get some clarification on the various settings or lack there of. Also asked about possibly enabling the white running/park lights of my switch backs as DRLs.

For now, I’m happy to have DRLs at all. Just a wait and see for a response from JSCAN.

Also, my apologies for being a bit stubborn in previous posts. Just re-read everything and realized how I came across.
No problem! I was not completely understanding you either. Sometimes it is hard to communicate without the face to face presence of tone, inflection and such.

Glad it is working.

Gregj

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Since you have a Sport, you're missing the DRL Driver wire for both fenders. The way that the switchbacks work is that they turn white when Parking Lamps Driver circuit is hot and they turn amber as soon as Turn Signal Driver circuit is hot. There is no setting in the JL that makes the Parking Lamps Driver circuit act as DRL, since this is not how DRL works in the higher trims; they have a dedicated DRL wire specifically for that purpose.

I had this exact same issue back when I installed a pair of Oracle Halos that I planned to use as DRLs, I even connected them the same way you did: to the Parking Lamps Driver circuit. I tried every DRL setting with the Tazer and none of them turned the lights on.

The reason why your lights are amber with turn signal DRL setting is because the Turn Signal Driver circuit is constantly hot, therefore the switchbacks will always be amber. Once you turn on the exterior rights, the JL automatically turns off any DRL-specific circuit, consequently turning off the Turn Signal Driver circuit and your white lights will turn back on because the Parking Lamps Driver circuit is hot again.

OP
OP
jludave

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If it helps I went with Optional DRL on my Jeep and they work as expected.
So I made the change a little while ago. No difference between that setting and the Canada DRL setting. The DRLs are on as soon as I start the vehicle. It's likely because my JL didn't come with factory DRLs. As I mentioned, I'm just happy to have the option to turn DRLs on or off and I can live with how they are working in my vehicle. My switch back bulbs are very bright, the amber looks great during the day as DRLs and the white looks great all other times the headlights are on.