Sponsored

3.6L ESS Aux Battery Bypass

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
The TazerJL does a lot more than read / reset codes - it can do things like change the tire size for the speedo, diabsle ESS, and many, many more...

However, there are basic code readers that are just OBDII scanners. These will read the code and let you reset it, that's it. They can be found starting around $30, and are a great tool if you are doing any of your own work in a garage. I believe that is what a few people have reset the code with. If no one confirms this, I can check later to make sure mine will do it. This is similar to the one I have (mine is quite old, 10 years give or take).

https://www.harborfreight.com/obd-i...MI45rW8I7t5wIVh5-zCh3l7AJeEAQYAiABEgLcRPD_BwE
Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Ok....I plan to get a TazerJL, so I just wanted to make sure I didn't need both....

Thanks again !

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
One other note is that I think many auto parts stores will read and reset codes for you for free. ;)

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
This Forum is the BEST.
Great info....For me I will need to do more than just reset codes....Definitely a good option for someone just looking for the OBDII scanner for codes.

Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Does the TazerJL need to stay plugged in full time or is it just plugged in when making adjustments/clearing codes ?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Does the TazerJL need to stay plugged in full time or is it just plugged in when making adjustments/clearing codes ?
Tazer JL features can be broken into two categories;

Vehicle Settings – which are changes made to the Jeep like tire size, gear ratios,
or change settings to accommodate other upgrades or modifications. These
changes will continue to operate after the Tazer JL is unplugged.

Live Functions – which are functions the Tazer JL performs live, only while
plugged into the OBD2 port.

Vehicle Settings:
– Change Tire Size
– Change Gear Ratio
– Change Transfer case LOW ratio
– Enable/Disable TPMS system
– Change TPMS pressure warning limit front/rear (25psi-85psi)
– Enable/Disable Backup camera
– Enable/Disable Cargo Camera input (8.4 Uconnect only)*
– Enable/Disable CD (wired audio) input*
– Enable/Disable TravelLink/XM traffic&weather
– Change Daytime Running Lights (DRL) region (type)
– Change DRL location
– Enable/Disable DRL Dropout function
– Enable/Disable factory fog lights
– Enable/Disable Fog Light Dropout (when Fogs shut off while High Beams are on)
– Enable/Disable Factory Halo lights (including BCM output for adding Halo’s)
– Enable/Disable One-touch lane change
– Change Headlight type (std/LED)
– Change Fog light type (std/LED)
– Change Taillight type (std/LED)
– Change Front Turn Signal type (std/LED) – supports aftermarket LED lights, too
– Enable/Disable Trailer Tow setting
– Enable/Disable Aux Button settings
– Enable/Disable Blind Spot detection (if hardware added or removed)
– Enable/Disable/Change Parksense configuration
– Disable Electronic Sway Bar (if removed from vehicle)
– Disable Front Axle Disconnect module for axle swaps
– Disable Front and Rear Lockers for axle swaps
– Disable Electronic Steering Pump for hydraulic steering conversions
– Change cluster splash screen Wrangler/Sahara/Rubicon
– Change HVAC controls setting to allow use of dual zone controls on single zone Jeep (for those upgrading the 5β€³ radio)
– Enable/Disable PANIC button on remote
– One-touch return-to-stock – Quick β€œunmarry” function returns all vehicle settings back to
stock.

Live Functions:
– AutoStopStart disable – remembers last state of the auto stop start system and will set it for
you the next time you start the vehicle
– AutoTracKill – remembers last state of traction control system and will set it for you the next
time you start the vehicle
– Can disconnect sway bar in 2WD up to 30mph (any speed if button mapped SwayKill is used)
– Can use backup camera and added cargo/front/undercarriage camera or media player at
any speed
– TurnCAM – automatic backup camera when turn signals are used (8.4 uconnect only)
– Dark Mode- Turns off all exterior lighting and dash/radio/shifter lights while parked with
engine running.
– Light Show mode – 6 preset and 3 make-your-own Light shows that flashes all the exterior
lights, perfect for car shows/first responders/off-road visibility. Control from Key Fob or
steering wheel buttons. Can be enabled for in-motion use for parades, off-road and legal
police/EMS.
– Axle Locker control (Rubicon) – Engage lockers in 2WD and 4Hi on demand.
– Sway Bar control in 2WD with automatic re-engagement at 30MPH
– SwayKill – Disable sway bar on demand in any drive mode, any speed.
– TC Kill – Tuns off traction control, stability control and ABS.
– Hood Alarm – When the vehicle theft alarm is armed, monitors hood activity and will sound
the alarm and flash light shows if opened.
– Cooldown mode: Turn engine fans on demand when the ignition is on, engine not running
– Line Lock: Can lock front brakes for an easy burnout
– Rock Crawl: Can lock all four brakes by pressing steering wheel buttons to hold the vehicle
still, especially helpful when off-road.
– Winch Mode: Raise idle to 2000 RPM with a simple button press.
– Button Mapping: Use cruise up, down and right buttons as quick-access to some of Tazer
JL’s functions, when cruise control is off.
– Display DTC’s – Shows the diagnostic codes that’s making the check engine light come on.
– Clear CELs – Reset that pesky check engine light. Good when you have mods that set the
light and you know exactly why.
– 0 to 30 and 0 to 60 Timers – Displays 0-30 or 0-60 times on EVIC display
– Firmware updates – new firmware is available periodically, always free!

From the Taser site:

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl/

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Ahhh....That's what live feature means !

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Great info, cbrenthus !

Do you know what reader most members are using ? Is that the same as a TazerJL ?
As was answered already, any OBDII scanner can clear codes but the superchips, etc will also read and clear codes too. I used my superchips flashcal to clear my codes but as it was stated already, that tool will also do things like change tire sizes and all that. I believe most those tuners will read/clear codes in addition to what they also do as well.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Just contacted Z Automotive and Both Modules must remain installed for the Live Features....

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Jerry, I have been following this post and keep it in case I needed it. Good job, in fact I made two jumper wires for me and Jeeping Buddy.

Well, his battery is dead for sitting over 21 days and he did not disconnect his two neg battery leads. Since this just happen, I have not check to see which battery is dead if not both.

So prepare to go over to his house I wanted to ask this question assuming one or both batteries are dead.

1) After testing batteries, I want to put jumper wire on and try starting.

2) If it does not start want to use two trickle chargers, one on each batteries. So take jumper wire out, disconnect the two neg battery leads.

3) connect charger 1 to AUX pos post on N1 and neg AUX lead.

4) connect charger 2 to main battery pos post and other to neg post.

5) Let it over night check batteries and start with or without jumper wire.

Thanks for your comments as you are the go to guy on all things Aux and main batteries.
bypass installed.jpg

Bypassing is accomplished by jumping N1 to N2. This diagram illustrates the jumper getting power back to the critical electronics.
ess bypass.PNG

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Jerry, I have been following this post and keep it in case I needed it. Good job, in fact I made two jumper wires for me and Jeeping Buddy.

Well, his battery is dead for sitting over 21 days and he did not disconnect his two neg battery leads. Since this just happen, I have not check to see which battery is dead if not both.

So prepare to go over to his house I wanted to ask this question assuming one or both batteries are dead.

1) After testing batteries, I want to put jumper wire on and try starting.

2) If it does not start want to use two trickle chargers, one on each batteries. So take jumper wire out, disconnect the two neg battery leads.

3) connect charger 1 to AUX pos post on N1 and neg AUX lead.

4) connect charger 2 to main battery pos post and other to neg post.

5) Let it over night check batteries and start with or without jumper wire.

Thanks for your comments as you are the go to guy on all things Aux and main batteries.

If it's dead, both batteries are dead. A trickle charger will not jump start a dead battery and it will take a significant amount of time to accumulate enough of a charge from a trickle charger to jump start. At this point you need a battery booster/jump starter.

I think your overnight dual battery charging procedure should work as long as over night is long enough.

I would have the batteries checked once it's running to make sure they're both good.

Trekez2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired
ess bypass simple 2a.PNG

edited 1/12/19 with updated diagram

In case the other diagrams aren't clear, here's a simplified diagram to emphasize how the batteries are connected in parallel through the PCR. A bad Aux battery seems to cause issues with the Aux battery powered systems, this shows the bypass jumper connecting the Main battery to the Aux battery powered systems.
Sponsored