• Total voters

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeeps are not made for mud. At the mall, no one will want to park next to you with a muddy Jeep, very unsightly. Best to keep only to dry pavement. Don’t be fooled by Jeeps with “mud terrain” tires. These are designed for speed bumps in mall parking lots. Always air down before attempting any speed bumps.
Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I’m having a hard time justifying the 1/2 hour of mudding fun versus the endless hours of cleanup. And you’ll never ever get it all.

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Mud contains hundreds if not thousands of micro sediments that will permanently embed itself into your clear coat even after using the world's most expensive clay bar, because the particulates are so small that you'll need a nano fiber towel to clean it. The more you wipe down your car after mudding, even if you can't feel a single thing, it will continue to swirl the clear coat for years to come until you completely remove the clear coat, strip, and sand the panel.

Think of it as permanent poison ivy on your skin that can't wash off until you burn it off and regrow a new top layer.

You should also always wear eye protection if you're going to be mudding with the windows open or around vehicles mudding. Imagine what kind of damage it can do to your eyes down the road. It could be a decade or more later before you even notice anything is wrong with your eyes.

Sponsored

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
If you smoke a pack of cigarettes tomorrow, you're probably not going to get lung cancer. If you smoke a pack a day for the next few decades, your chance of lung cancer increases dramatically.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I'm going to have to put on a scuba suit and crawl under my Jeep to give it a good cleaning.

20200215_184507.jpg

ScubaSteve.jpg

Some of these replies are priceless.

Oh no! I got some micro-sediment on my Jeep! In the olden days we called it dust. An oh yes, let's all go out and do some "intellectually rewarding" off-roading! And for God's sake, don't forget your eye protection before you leave!

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Having spent a lot of time wheeling in the mud and sand along the Red River of Texas and Oklahoma, no it's definitely not good for the Jeep. The dirt/sand/mud works its way into places that it's impossible to wash out of, not matter how hard you try. Unless you tear things down and clean out wheel bearings, brakes and u-joints, it stays and causes premature wear, squeaks, rattles, etc. it won't cause harm immediately but overtime you'll find yourself replacing stuff much sooner than you would otherwise.I usually clean and repack the wheel bearings after any lengthy time in the mud that helps, but when I don't it doesn't take long before you start to hear squeaks.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having a hard time justifying the 1/2 hour of mudding fun versus the endless hours of cleanup. And you’ll never ever get it all.
Ditto! I LOVE off roading and crawling over rocks as well as running down a trail or going through creeks but I don't get mud. My wife loves it. The 30 seconds of "fun" spent slamming through a mud puddle that covers 75% of the Jeep in mud then translates into $10 at the pressure washer and 30 mins of my time to get it clean.
Then there is that little gift you get months later when wrenching on the Jeep and that little area that is holding that dry cake of dirt and it drops right onto your face as you remove a bolt or part... SMH.
Around here we have clay and that stuff permanently stains. I've got everything from hoses to rubber trim that will never be clean again.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Oh no! I got some micro-sediment on my Jeep! In the olden days we called it dust. An oh yes, let's all go out and do some "intellectually rewarding" off-roading! And for God's sake, don't forget your eye protection before you leave!
What I find truly amazing is you having over 10000 posts in less than two years.
EDIT: But you're just a piker. Sean L has over 21K in less than two years!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Around here we have clay and that stuff permanently stains. I've got everything from hoses to rubber trim that will never be clean again.
Learned my lesson with that. Steel bumper is the way to go!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Always be aware of whats under the MUD. I had just bought a new set of BFG mud terrains way back and was going back and forth on a mud hole. Turns out there were some Rusted pipes under there and when Cleaned up my brand new tires I noticed they had SLICES ALL around. Looked like I ran my tires through a Cheese Slicer.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
Be careful of pressure washing certain areas , Around seals, Electrical connections, u-joints . You can force water in places that will cause you lots problems down the road. Mud buildup on brake calipers and inside rims will do crazy things also.

Matt_35

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Posting in General because there is both a Cosmetic/Protection question and a general maintenance question

Saw folks saying that mud is bad for the Jeep. From the clear coat erroding to mud forever causing mechanical interference with moving components and getting into the radiator, brakes, diff, etc.

I pressure washed the undercarriage briefly (but thoroughly on hands and knees) and rinsed the grill/radiator with a gentle spray.

how bad is mud like this bad for the Jeep?

will I really be “paying” for the outing of fun a “decade” from now?

E4770AEC-97C7-4902-B0EF-14EDEB35BFDA.jpeg
So is beer :beer:
Sponsored