Mudding Harmful to Jeep?

Will mud hurt the Jeep?

• Total voters

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Mud is tough on seals so mechanically I try to keep my undercarriage un-caked. Don't want it to get past seals & into bearings, ujoints, ball joints, Etc.

PS: Not sure what any of these 'PC's on 4 wheels' will be worth in a Decade anyway... way WAY too many electronic parts these days!
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I still have mud from my first outing on top of the skid plates... no problems here, I just made sure to wash out the brakes when I got home.

img_1157-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Going offroading and getting all muddy is fun. racing through a greasy mud puddle in a parking lot just to get it muddy, not seeing the point.

I think that racing through this will shoot pressure mud water into every nook and cranny which is not good for seals and bearings.
I wouldn't call the driving racing. I don't think I went over 10mph. The mud was just that way.

Also from the FB groups:

"The seals on the differentials, transmission, and transfer case are made to keep fluids in, not to prevent fluids from getting inside; such as running through a mud hole or traversing water and these components get submerged. To be on the safe side, I'd drain these fluids, refill, and replace teh differential cover gaskets."

Your all's thoughts?

Please try to find a balance between indifference and catastrophising in providing thought-out explanations.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't call the driving racing. I don't think I went over 10mph. The mud was just that way.

Also from the FB groups:

"The seals on the differentials, transmission, and transfer case are made to keep fluids in, not to prevent fluids from getting inside; such as running through a mud hole or traversing water and these components get submerged. To be on the safe side, I'd drain these fluids, refill, and replace teh differential cover gaskets."

Your all's thoughts?

Please try to find a balance between indifference and catastrophising in providing thought-out explanations.
Just how deep did you go? if you went in above the differential breathers you'll have a problem, but if not you should be fine.

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Posting in General because there is both a Cosmetic/Protection question and a general maintenance question

Saw folks saying that mud is bad for the Jeep. From the clear coat erroding to mud forever causing mechanical interference with moving components and getting into the radiator, brakes, diff, etc.

I pressure washed the undercarriage briefly (but thoroughly on hands and knees) and rinsed the grill/radiator with a gentle spray.

how bad is mud like this bad for the Jeep?

will I really be “paying” for the outing of fun a “decade” from now?

E4770AEC-97C7-4902-B0EF-14EDEB35BFDA.jpeg
Yes, of course mudding and off-roading adds significant wear and tear. Rocks, sand, pebbles, branches, clay, sap, salts, scratching your undercarriage promotes rust, etc.

Common sense stuff.

Have fun and do as you wish. Try rinse off after every offroad drive. Carwash is your best friend for rinsing off.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Most the damage that it can cause is over a long period of time so if left unchecked can cause big issues, how long can vary.

Short term it can cause issues as with any off roading, spinning large tires at full speed while not moving and suddenly catches is not the best for the drivetrain or water splashing up and frying some electrical parts. Some times it can cause issues because of its presence, link icy mud freezing to your driveshaft or wheels causing imbalance, left unchecked will cause issues but knock it off all set.

The issues with mud is it coats your underside with dirt and water and left unwashed can cause rust to start forming even after the much has dried and caked on. It can also seep through seals as the seals are meant to keep grease and oil in rather than water out and the sand can help break down the seals, so you end up getting sand water into areas where lubrication is king and parts can wear out faster over time.

Now this being said, if you go once will you have issues right away and always have issues, no but you increase the risk of having something bad, so keep it clean and check fluids and greased joints after every run repair and replace as need be and you will be good.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yikes, I generally stay away from mud completely.
I just don't find spinning tires in a mud pit intellectually rewarding or enjoyable at all, or even remotely worth the hassles you have to go through afterwards.

For me, off-roading is merely the vessel of transportation to get to the destination, then the real adventure starts. Let it be surfing, camping, rock climbing, snowboarding whatever. It's the process and not the finale.

There's got to be something that comes after.

There are many more interesting or adventurous things you could do instead. Just not worth the rewards in my opinion, to each their own I guess.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Mine gets washed when it rains.

It’s funny to read guys with rock rails and winches discussing “micro particle embedment”..... Is this the Prius section?

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the undercarriage goes, when you leave mud under there it acts as a sponge and traps moisture. It can hold it there for extended periods of time which will cause all sorts of issues. You need to get all the mud off every time you wheel.

My Jeep stays muddy, occupational hazard, and i spend waaaaay more time washing it that I'd like. I avoid mud whenever possible.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed about long-term damage to clear coat but I honestly can’t tell if you’re being serious about the whole eye protection thing. I’ve spent practically my whole life getting filthy in dirt and mud for play, sport and work and never had anything remotely close to an issue.
He's serious and I am too, it's dangerous. I close my eyes every time I go off roading. Yes, it does result in more trail damage but I see great.

jimbobbeg

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've always been fanatical when comes to keeping my vehicles clean. With that said, I love getting Jack dirty. Being proactive will make things easier when comes to cleaning after a good run through some mud. I've got a ceramic coating on my paint. I double coated my wheels with a sealant before I mounted the tires. I used an undercarriage protectant on my new front bumper and all of the exposed plastic before going offroad. I've just tried to make as many components as hydrophobic as possible.
Sponsored