Sponsored

Does anyone not regret ordering a hard top when they bought their Jeep?

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Well, after shipping and taxes this will be a hair under $3K. What a suck-azz deal.
upload_2020-2-24_13-27-16.png
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Well, after shipping and taxes this will be a hair under $3K. What a suck-azz deal.
upload_2020-2-24_13-27-16.png
Quadratec never really discounts well on their MOPAR parts.

Rebornfungus

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Quadratec never really discounts well on their MOPAR parts.
Well, they can't. They already have to get them from mopar. I bought my jeep from Jeff Dombrosi in PA and according to the parts guy I'm better off buying any Mopar parts through him since they'll give me 10% and Quadratec buys all their mopar through them anyway. they're like 15 minutes from this dealership. I'd see if your dealership can at least give you 10%. Will save you a few hundred at least.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
I got the hard top waiting for a tan soft top
I hope they make one, from what I hear the sales of the JL tan top were disappointing so the shelved the tan top for the gladiator for now.

Mtneerdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96XJ '20JT6MT
Speaking to the security vs soft top issue mentioned several times in this thread, this is my one ton at a boat ramp several years ago.

Thinking ANYTHING is ever secure in a vehicle with standard glass windows is a fools errand. A thief that will cut your hard top will be equally satisfied with breaking your window. The only thing left on or in this truck, was what was in that knack box bolted to the bed. They even took a pack of crackers and my stanley thermos. They stole the floor mats. They left NOTHING. 12k worth.

With my soft top gladiator, so far, I have been leaving the cab empty and doors unlocked at the boat ramp. I have a hard tonneau cover. The power feed to the tailgate is super easy to unplug. If i have a few things I'd like to secure, I toss them in the back, unplug the tailgate power, and lock the tailgate with the key tumbler. This prevents a thief from simply using the door buttons to unlock the gate.

Happy jeeping, just don't be under the impression that a hard top increases security. Glass is glass and easily knocked out in less than a second.

15156778_1639787339380555_4676982847454711456_o.jpg

Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Speaking to the security vs soft top issue mentioned several times in this thread, this is my one ton at a boat ramp several years ago.

Thinking ANYTHING is ever secure in a vehicle with standard glass windows is a fools errand. A thief that will cut your hard top will be equally satisfied with breaking your window. The only thing left on or in this truck, was what was in that knack box bolted to the bed. They even took a pack of crackers and my stanley thermos. They stole the floor mats. They left NOTHING. 12k worth.

With my soft top gladiator, so far, I have been leaving the cab empty and doors unlocked at the boat ramp. I have a hard tonneau cover. The power feed to the tailgate is super easy to unplug. If i have a few things I'd like to secure, I toss them in the back, unplug the tailgate power, and lock the tailgate with the key tumbler. This prevents a thief from simply using the door buttons to unlock the gate.

Happy jeeping, just don't be under the impression that a hard top increases security. Glass is glass and easily knocked out in less than a second.

Even a hard tonneau is no guarantee. A few years back my grandpa stopped at a McDonald's for 5 minutes and when he came out someone had popped his one piece tonneau open with a pry bar. Luckily he didn't have anything in the bed at the time. The whole thing was even caught on camera, but the police were never able to identify the guy.

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

As a long-time former police officer I leave my vehicles unlocked at all times. That way you won't get your soft top cut or your hard top windows smashed. Is it practical? Not at all times if I have something valuable but if you don't have anything valuable in your vehicle leave them unlocked. This is hood 101 knowledge.

Mtneerdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96XJ '20JT6MT
As a long-time former police officer I leave my vehicles unlocked at all times. That way you won't get your soft top cut or your hard top windows smashed. Is it practical? Not at all times if I have something valuable but if you don't have anything valuable in your vehicle leave them unlocked. This is hood 101 knowledge.
I leave a note on the window now. "DOORS UNLOCKED"

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I'd like to see a hardtop with a rear window that was retractable/removeable/lowerable...

This would maximize the open air experience, still maximize shade on sunny summer days here in DaCapital Swamp, all the while avoiding having to pile up the softtop on the roof.

Can someone make this happen? Bueller....Bueller? Anybody?

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey I just ordered a hardtop from BAM Wholesale parts for $1,854.36, is there any other parts needed for this?

Sponsored

Mtneerdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96XJ '20JT6MT
Even a hard tonneau is no guarantee. A few years back my grandpa stopped at a McDonald's for 5 minutes and when he came out someone had popped his one piece tonneau open with a pry bar. Luckily he didn't have anything in the bed at the time. The whole thing was even caught on camera, but the police were never able to identify the guy.
You are correct, there is never any guarantee. I'm certain my hard tonneau could be popped in seconds with any type of pry tool. I simply don't leave anything under there I can't live without if I'm going to be parking at the boat ramp, or anywhere else with higher than usual break in rates, or if I'm going to be leaving it for any amount of time.

I'm considering finding a low profile knack box to bolt into the bed up against the front for secure storage of higher value items like tools, chains, chainsaws, ect. When my ton truck was robbed they had obviously tried to pry into the knack box as well but never came close to cracking it. That box would require either a torch, or rescue/extraction apparatus to get into.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I got the premium soft top and never looked back. yeah its ugly, and its a little noisier at highway speeds, but it never leaks and I can topless for 5 minutes or all day, and the kids in the backseat love it (unlike a Bestop, and they do make a great product). I never have to worry about where I'm going to store it, and If I pop the doors off I have shade, or I can open it. I was nervous when I got it, but its warm and dry. It doesn't even leak when I go thru the car wash. After hear and reading the grumblings about the 3 piece hardtop, I'm extremely happy with my ragtop.

I love it when I get "likes" to.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I read and article once that said it was actually harder for the average thief to break into a hard top than soft top. The average thief could use any local item (rock, brick ect) to break the glass of a hard window or door glass. A soft top you really need something to cut it and be a little more premeditated about it...

anyways, it is true the only way to prevent a car from being broken into is to leave it unlocked!

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I never lock my convertibles. I keep nothing in them that I would miss and definitely nothing worth more than the top. The other thing is not leaving anything valuable in sight.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Hardtop, trunk, hard tonneau cover, or locked doors; challenge accepted.

Jeep Gladiator Does anyone not regret ordering a hard top when they bought their Jeep? home_security_burglar_crowbar

Thieves can get in your vehicle quickly, and they don't care about any damage to your property when they are determined to get in.
Sponsored